Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Mar 16, 2023 at 8:58 PM Post #16,996 of 18,493
Or, it may be degrading the sound? Rob tried it on a car battery and there was barely any difference, how can a power supply be better than a car battery?
I really prefer the linear power supply, for my ears and taste. It makes the music fuller mo matter what Mr. Rob recommends. Chord will never recommend a LPS not even in a forum.No problem with that. I also use a power conditioner witch may contribute. There are sufficient differences between my system and Mr. Rob's one.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2023 at 9:13 PM Post #16,997 of 18,493
Or, it may be degrading the sound? Rob tried it on a car battery and there was barely any difference, how can a power supply be better than a car battery?
I do not contradict anyone. I just say that for my ears, in my system, the linear power supply makes my music sound fuller, just as detailed and more organic.

Mar 17, 2023 at 2:04 AM Post #16,998 of 18,493
Mar 17, 2023 at 2:42 AM Post #16,999 of 18,493
We have covered running the MS off of a battery, but what about the TT2.

For those that have MS/TT2 combo, what are you using for the TT2, its supplied power supply, a linear power supply, or some other solution altogether?

I think the capacitors in the TT2 make it resilient to noise so I think this one is not as critical but I power the TT2 off of battery as well and run optical between the TT2 and Scaler (optoDX). I also run my source off of battery (2go2yu) and run optical between that and the m scaler. Basically each device has a separate battery supply and each device is electronically isolated from each other using optical and I stream wirelessly into the 2go2yu (I've heard hotspot mode works the best as far as connection reliability so I usually stick with that but I am far from an expert on this it just sounded like the most hassle free way to connect).

Also since I think people were talking about streamers I really loved the Pi2AES and that was reasonably priced. It can also be powered using battery, you can power the PC board and audio board using separate batteries and isolate from the scaler using optical. The only real reason I upgraded from this to the Hugo2go2yu is because I wanted the Hugo2go for traveling but performance wise I really liked the Pi2AES. The other nice thing is if you move on from the Pi as a streamer you can still use it as a raspberry Pi for anything else so it's easy to find other uses for it.

Mar 17, 2023 at 8:26 PM Post #17,002 of 18,493
Mar 17, 2023 at 9:45 PM Post #17,003 of 18,493
In this case then any change in quality from a different power supply would be down to expectation bias, unlike Dave which does run directly from the mains without super caps as far as I’m aware.
Not only expectation bias, but from the whatever the power supply is sending back to the mains that might dirty it up a little. Also, it depends how much of the rest of the system is affected by such things.
For example, changing the power cable on the SMPS to my TT2 make no difference I can hear when listening on headphones, but the difference is there, admittedly small, when I listen through an integrated amp and speakers.

Mar 18, 2023 at 12:42 AM Post #17,004 of 18,493
Not only expectation bias, but from the whatever the power supply is sending back to the mains that might dirty it up a little. Also, it depends how much of the rest of the system is affected by such things.
For example, changing the power cable on the SMPS to my TT2 make no difference I can hear when listening on headphones, but the difference is there, admittedly small, when I listen through an integrated amp and speakers.

Yes I understand but my comment was specifically for TT2 used solely.

Mar 18, 2023 at 5:54 AM Post #17,005 of 18,493
In this case then any change in quality from a different power supply would be down to expectation bias, unlike Dave which does run directly from the mains without super caps as far as I’m aware.
Supercaps help giving a more stable voltage making internal voltage more resiliant to varying audio related current draw.. this giving better defined sound. And 'grip' to hp drivers

They dont contribute to better RF filtering, this is down to dedicated filtering circuits in the DAC and PSU

So another PSU can give benefits to RF blocking.. specially to the mains side.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2023 at 12:41 PM Post #17,006 of 18,493
IMO, you will get little to no benefit since the TT2 already runs off the internal super-capacitors which are basically batteries.
Which battery do you use with the M Scaler? Is there a power conditioner or protector of sorts that you plug all of your devices into?

Mar 18, 2023 at 3:10 PM Post #17,007 of 18,493
Supercaps ...... dont contribute to better RF filtering, this is down to dedicated filtering circuits in the DAC and PSU

So another PSU can give benefits to RF blocking.. specially to the mains side.
I see what you mean, dedication is effective. Yet those filters are.... Caps and chokes, no more. Dedicated rf ones, granted. Supercaps aren't RF dedicated as you say, but completely not affecting RF is quite a stretch.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2023 at 6:06 PM Post #17,008 of 18,493
I see what you mean, dedication is effective. Yet those filters are.... Caps and chokes, no more. Dedicated rf ones, granted. Supercaps aren't RF dedicated as you say, but completely not affecting RF is quite a stretch.
The argument on which i replied was the case that the applied supercaps would invalidate the benefit from extra outboard RF treatment.

As far my understanding of Rob's posts and own experience goes, the noise enters on the DAC's groundplane regardless of cap type.

Supercaps were mainly chosen for current buffering TT2's amp section.

Its why my optic dualdata link had as much effect on TT2 as it had on Dave

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2023 at 6:07 PM Post #17,009 of 18,493
The argument on which i replied was the case that the applied supercaps would invalidate the benefit from extra outboard RF treatment.

As far my understanding of Rob's posts and own experience goes, the noise enters on the DAC's groundplane regardless of cap type.

Supercaps were mainly chosen for current buffering TT2's amp section.
How are we going to eliminate the noise from entering the ground plane

Mar 18, 2023 at 6:25 PM Post #17,010 of 18,493
How are we going to eliminate the noise from entering the ground plane
The groundplane of Chord DAC's is connected to their housings metal, the shield rings of RCA's, BNC's and USB socket casing.
In Dave also the earthpin of the C19 plug.

Best is to avoid all electrical connections to these and use optical as i posted about.
Although the ferrite dampening approach also helps.

(I even disconnected my Dave's earthpin)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back