Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Aug 12, 2022 at 8:55 AM Post #16,201 of 18,534
The same thing happened to my friend who owns an Ether Regen, he purchased a heat sink and it resolved all his dropout issues.

eivvia 100×100×18 1pcs Control System Components Aluminum Alloy Profile Heat Sink/Multimedia Equipment Aluminum Heat Sink https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08JJCNYQ3/
Hmm. Interesting. I’ve never liked that my LPS1.2 and UltraRendu runs a bit hot. I might have to try this out. thanks for the tip.

Aug 12, 2022 at 9:23 AM Post #16,202 of 18,534
Also readed somewere by dropping the voltage also took away alot of heat. Indeed created the same problems. When i did some research on the er.

Aug 13, 2022 at 2:54 AM Post #16,203 of 18,534
And that way I keep the resale value of the Mscaler for when I sell it to buy the new Choral range version. 😜
I made de housing modular.. one can just swap the internals over and back to original housing.

After i made and adjusted a plastic prototype i try cnc.

Maybe sell units if theres interest.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2022 at 5:09 AM Post #16,204 of 18,534
I made de housing modular.. one can just swap the internals over and back to original housing.

After i made and adjusted a plastic prototype i try cnc.

Maybe sell units if theres interest.

My HMS is already 6m away from the dac. Will it benefit from the housing modular?

And which optical link are you interested in?

Thanks

Aug 14, 2022 at 6:30 AM Post #16,205 of 18,534
I’ve just ordered another (third) Poweroak/Maxoak battery for my Ether Regen. My TT2 and M scaler are both powered by the Poweroaks, with very pleasing results, IMO definitely better than the stock ones. Has anybody else used battery power to supply their ER? And what did think of the resulting sound?
TIA
Mal

Aug 14, 2022 at 9:36 AM Post #16,206 of 18,534
My HMS is already 6m away from the dac. Will it benefit from the housing modular?

And which optical link are you interested in?

Thanks
The housing will have 2 ..or 3 positives.

The form factor matches exactly Dave.

I have room for my self made dual optical link
(2x ST) which i feed by the scalers own internal 5v vcc, no coax involved anymore

And 3rd, i can bypass the internal smps section which contributes to RF noise and place a 5v bus connector chassis for clean battery operation.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2022 at 11:40 PM Post #16,209 of 18,534
Because the M Scaler gives off a lot of RFI and EMI, the SQ of my setup benefits greatly from having a good bit of distance away from my TT2.

Mine is 3m away down on the floor from my audio gear rack. And IMHO it made a discernible improvement.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2022 at 2:29 AM Post #16,210 of 18,534
The housing will have 2 ..or 3 positives.

The form factor matches exactly Dave.

I have room for my self made dual optical link
(2x ST) which i feed by the scalers own internal 5v vcc, no coax involved anymore

And 3rd, i can bypass the internal smps section which contributes to RF noise and place a 5v bus connector chassis for clean battery operation.
Interesting, let us waiting for your finishing product.

Btw, more RFs sneaking through from the cable than the BNC adapter.

Aug 19, 2022 at 3:43 PM Post #16,212 of 18,534
Hi @Rob Watts,
Nice watch with some hints as to where you are standing today..

One thing got me wandering ..does increasing tap length change the effect of the (spoken 5) filter tweaks? Or does a optimal tweak just being multiplied keeping optimal for the sound?

Still i would like to 'zoom in' and eyeball on one tap.. im probably wrong but i always believed its a calculated sample point between 2 original source samples.. and inreasing taps means more resolution by created sample points giving the dac (pulse array) a more accurate path to follow making its voltage swing.

Its this first understanding that makes it easier to grasp the material.

Aug 20, 2022 at 10:24 PM Post #16,213 of 18,534
So who has actually watched the fifty minute video @Rob Watts interview? And what were your impressions?

Aug 21, 2022 at 4:43 AM Post #16,214 of 18,534
Hi @Rob Watts,
Nice watch with some hints as to where you are standing today..

One thing got me wandering ..does increasing tap length change the effect of the (spoken 5) filter tweaks? Or does a optimal tweak just being multiplied keeping optimal for the sound?

Still i would like to 'zoom in' and eyeball on one tap.. im probably wrong but i always believed its a calculated sample point between 2 original source samples.. and inreasing taps means more resolution by created sample points giving the dac (pulse array) a more accurate path to follow making its voltage swing.

Its this first understanding that makes it easier to grasp the material.

When you say 5 filter tweaks I assume you are talking about the five variables that go into the WTA windowing function - the algorithm that defines the filter by creating all of the coefficients. So tap length is independent of that - but the wrong algorithm will mean that increasing tap length would not significantly improve the sound quality. On the other hand, the correct or optimum settings when increasing the tap length will make the sound quality changes more apparent - so the algorithm is more important than the tap length. Getting the correct settings was very much a huge effort with thousands of listening tests to fine tune all five of the settings.

As to your comment about two sample filters - yes apologies but you are wrong about that, but you were right about being probably wrong! Two samples would be a linear interpolation filter, and that would be a disaster for transient reconstruction, and a disaster for sine wave or steady state signals - a HF sine wave would look like triangular waveforms, clearly very distorted.

Aug 21, 2022 at 10:05 AM Post #16,215 of 18,534
So it took some working on my 3D design skills to draw the DAVE.. but i made a impression of my 1st gen Mscaler in Choral housing with DAVE stacked on top.
The 2 top and bottom parts are ready for CNC fabric and i got my 1st quotes.

Front.png

Feet comment.png

I'm still waiting on the optical receiver components, if it all works out i can link the two units without extra boxes

Optic comment.png

HMS inside comment.png

Sorry @MvRBE10 i'm not sleepwalking :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back