Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Mar 18, 2021 at 1:40 PM Post #13,111 of 18,495
There is always DCS Bartok w/headphone section
Last year at CanJam I switched back and forth between Dave and TT2, it was just 10-15 and I couldn't say I preferred one over the other. Then after an hour I got to listen to Bartok, again while it was nice I wouldn't be able to say that it was that much better and I'd choose it over my TT2.
The versatility of TT2 is beyond all doubts for me. It drives my Abyss, it drives my speakers, with HMS it is something I have never dreamt of. Thank you @Rob Watts!

Mar 18, 2021 at 1:57 PM Post #13,112 of 18,495
According to a neighbor who had and sold a DAVE the Bartok headphone section is much better. That is the reason Austinpop over at Audiophile style uses and amp w/DAVE. Headphone section not as powerful. Of course the Bartok cost is crazy. New $14K with the headphone section is almost another $3K which sounds right for a top flight HP amp. Used........if you can find one are still above $10K. New Over at Audiogon there's a new DAVE for sale $8,300/offer. I've seen used for $7K. Then you still need and amp so

Mar 18, 2021 at 2:17 PM Post #13,113 of 18,495
Last year at CanJam I switched back and forth between Dave and TT2, it was just 10-15 and I couldn't say I preferred one over the other.
Do you need your ears cleaning out? Or maybe change the hearing aid batteries?

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :smiley: :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Mar 18, 2021 at 2:48 PM Post #13,115 of 18,495
On the topic of HQPlayer, I tested it extensively with the TT2 using Sinc-M and Sinc-L filters. It’s a really elegant solution if you want to use an RPi as a network streamer and have a server to run HQPlayer embedded for sound processing. There was a noticeable change in sound, everything was a bit smoother and it felt like I was sitting in the 20th row instead of the 5th row. With upscaling the sound felt like it was coming more from the front than the more 3 dimensional sound of the TT2 alone - I can see why people may prefer this and I did at first but I started noticing there was a loss of dynamics and air to treble - less sizzle and the instruments more recessed sounding. I took a pass and settled on audirvana using USB to my TT2.

Makes me really wonder whether people wouldn’t just be happier with an HD650 sometimes if they smear the sound of their hifi rigs with tube amps, dark headphones, eq and software tricks.

Mar 18, 2021 at 2:56 PM Post #13,116 of 18,495
Do you need your ears cleaning out? Or maybe change the hearing aid batteries?

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :smiley: :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Do it every other hour :stuck_out_tongue::black_joker:😜

All three systems mentioned are already beyond an average, not just consumer, but audiophile. I think more important, after you got any of these systems, or even before, is to listen to Music!
My system had more music flowing through it and for much longer then many of you combined.

Happy listening

Mar 18, 2021 at 3:06 PM Post #13,118 of 18,495
Do it every other hour :stuck_out_tongue::black_joker:😜

All three systems mentioned are already beyond an average, not just consumer, but audiophile. I think more important, after you got any of these systems, or even before, is to listen to Music!
My system had more music flowing through it and for much longer then many of you combined.

Happy listening
Yep!!! Well said.

Mar 18, 2021 at 3:14 PM Post #13,119 of 18,495
According to a neighbor who had and sold a DAVE the Bartok headphone section is much better. That is the reason Austinpop over at Audiophile style uses and amp w/DAVE. Headphone section not as powerful. Of course the Bartok cost is crazy. New $14K with the headphone section is almost another $3K which sounds right for a top flight HP amp. Used........if you can find one are still above $10K. New Over at Audiogon there's a new DAVE for sale $8,300/offer. I've seen used for $7K. Then you still need and amp so
Is there a suggestion that the DAVE isn't powerful enough to drive some headphones?

Mar 18, 2021 at 3:27 PM Post #13,120 of 18,495
Is there a suggestion that the DAVE isn't powerful enough to drive some headphones?
I think it’s more than a suggestion. I really became aware of the real need for more power when I first used my Sony TA amp to drive a pair of Sennheiser 600 headphones. The sound was ok, but when I purchased an SPL Phonitor 2 and used the Sony only as the DAC, the difference was startling. The famous Sennheiser 600/650 veil was gone and the transformation was unbelievable. i Don’t own a DAVE but that’s been the experience of people I know who do.

Mar 18, 2021 at 3:30 PM Post #13,121 of 18,495
I think it’s more than a suggestion. I really became aware of the real need for more power when I first used my Sony TA amp to drive a pair of Sennheiser 600 headphones. The sound was ok, but when I purchased an SPL Phonitor 2 and used the Sony only as the DAC, the difference was startling. The famous Sennheiser 600/650 veil was gone and the transformation was unbelievable. i Don’t own a DAVE but that’s been the experience of people I know who do.
Interesting. I use Focal Stellia, which my phone can drive, and ZMF Verite Open, which need a bit more but the TT2 does fine. Hopefully the DAVE is capable of driving these headphones as I am picking one up tomorrow.

Mar 18, 2021 at 3:38 PM Post #13,122 of 18,495
This question belongs in https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-electronics-dave.766517/ thread.
Lucky for TT2/HMS owners, they can be happy with any headphone in existence. Even Susvara, someone goes to +12db with them, but it is still fine. +12db, I'm curious what color is it on the TT2's orb, probably should just unplug everything and see for myself.
Checked - it is white:
IMG_2666.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2021 at 3:47 PM Post #13,123 of 18,495
This question belongs in https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-electronics-dave.766517/ thread.
Lucky for TT2/HMS owners, they can be happy with any headphone in existence. Even Susvara, someone goes to +12db with them, but it is still fine. +12db, I'm curious what color is it on the TT2's orb, probably should just unplug everything and see for myself.
It does, although I'll answer it for myself tomorrow. I still have a TT2 though so comparisons between them could legitimately go in the TT2 or DAVE thread without breaking any laws... :wink:

EDIT: Who'd have thought it - I'm in the M-Scaler thread!! 🤣

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2021 at 4:55 PM Post #13,125 of 18,495
Yes. I believe it won't dirve Abyss that well etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back