Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Mar 11, 2021 at 1:20 AM Post #12,991 of 18,496
out of curiosity, I bought the 0.5M wireword starlight 8 to replace the 1M amphenol 12GHz 4K, connected them before the BNC-to-Optical convertor

and let see...

First impression (10 mins out of the box) on the 2ch, I don't own headphone

1. start-stop of the rhythm of each instruments was prominent. At some point, I thought the signal was cut off from the HMS
2. loudness was prominent too
3. the tempo of each instruments sounded more correct
4. texture of the instruments were riches

I didn't audition the cable at the sweet spot, just casually doing works at desktop

well, it could be the cables were properly terminated

Some professional PM me after my post that part of the issue was due to poor screening to the thin bnc cables allowing them to leak RF noises, and the noises can be measured by a spectrum analyser.

And the sounds will be even more remarkable if better quality screened cables with ferrites are being used before and after the optical boxes.

CD player -> toslink -> HMS

IMG_20210311_141244.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2021 at 4:09 PM Post #12,992 of 18,496
My MScaler/TT2 is being fed by an Auralic Aries G1 streamer using Tidal via Roon managed on my Mac .... and that is wired to my router at the moment with cheap Cat 5E cable.

I am looking to change the cheapo cable that is between router and Auralic. I was thinking of Audioquest as I happen to like their stuff but have never had any 'fancy' Ethernet cables.

Has anyone tried Cinnamon, Carbon and Vodka Ethernet with their system ? My head says anything more than Carbon is too expensive but then I have spent silly money on USB and BNC + been very happy with the results which I feel are obvious (not wanting a cables make no difference argument).

Views on Cinnamon / Carbon or Vodka for a 4m run .... the costs in the UK are Cinnamon (5m) is £145. Carbon (4m) is £180 , Vodka (5m) is £999.

Mar 11, 2021 at 4:21 PM Post #12,993 of 18,496
My MScaler/TT2 is being fed by an Auralic Aries G1 streamer using Tidal via Roon managed on my Mac .... and that is wired to my router at the moment with cheap Cat 5E cable.

I am looking to change the cheapo cable that is between router and Auralic. I was thinking of Audioquest as I happen to like their stuff but have never had any 'fancy' Ethernet cables.

Has anyone tried Cinnamon, Carbon and Vodka Ethernet with their system ? My head says anything more than Carbon is too expensive but then I have spent silly money on USB and BNC + been very happy with the results which I feel are obvious (not wanting a cables make no difference argument).

Views on Cinnamon / Carbon or Vodka for a 4m run .... the costs in the UK are Cinnamon (5m) is £145. Carbon (4m) is £180 , Vodka (5m) is £999.
Snake oil when it comes to network cables. Just 1s and 0s.

Mar 11, 2021 at 4:32 PM Post #12,994 of 18,496

I have no experience in fancy Ethernet cables either but at least instead of buying
the Vodka cable for £999 I would consider trying the Uptone Etheregen switch and placing it close to the streamer.
I have one and it made a very clear difference for the better.
It is cheaper than 5m Vodka and you can try it out for 14 (or was it 30?) days.

Mar 11, 2021 at 4:40 PM Post #12,995 of 18,496

I was in the same position not long ago and went for the supra cat8 ethernet cable

https://www.futureshop.co.uk/supra-cat8-flame-retardant-ethernet-cable

Mar 11, 2021 at 4:44 PM Post #12,996 of 18,496
I have no experience in fancy Ethernet cables either but at least instead of buying
the Vodka cable for £999 I would consider trying the Uptone Etheregen switch and placing it close to the streamer.
I have one and it made a very clear difference for the better.
It is cheaper than 5m Vodka and you can try it out for 14 (or was it 30?) days.
It depends how you define 'fancy' but I have the AQ Cinnamon and Supra Ethernet cables and to be honest I couldn't hear a difference between these cables and regular cat6.
And I normally hear differences between other cables such as power cables, USB, IC's and speaker cables.

Mar 11, 2021 at 5:19 PM Post #12,997 of 18,496
I would suggest no matter the cable quality that you use UTP rather than STP. The shield raises the ground noise possibility.

Mar 11, 2021 at 5:19 PM Post #12,998 of 18,496
Mar 11, 2021 at 5:23 PM Post #12,999 of 18,496
It depends how you define 'fancy' but I have the AQ Cinnamon and Supra Ethernet cables and to be honest I couldn't hear a difference between these cables and regular cat6.
And I normally hear differences between other cables such as power cables, USB, IC's and speaker cables.
That's useful, thanks ... by fancy I mean something like Supra / Audioquest ... who Diamond Ethernet for 4m is something like £3000 !!!! I think that's not for me :)

Mar 11, 2021 at 5:29 PM Post #13,000 of 18,496
I actually think the Supra sounds better than a stock cheap one. After I noticed a difference with that, I got an SOtM Ethernet cable and then eventually got the UpTone Ethernet reclocker.

I know, I know...snake oil, but I noticed a difference. And I think that difference is better. :L3000:

Mar 11, 2021 at 7:30 PM Post #13,002 of 18,496
Snake oil when it comes to network cables. Just 1s and 0s.
beemarman, I just got 50ft of Ethernet cable from BestBuy to go from my Xfinity/Comcast router to my ROON Nucleus (Rev B) for $37. It sounds marvelous! 😊

Mar 11, 2021 at 10:02 PM Post #13,003 of 18,496
Okay, so I just received the Opto DX, and I am SO, SO IMPRESSED. The sound using the M Scaler with the DAVE is so cleaned up. Highs in particular sound less splashy. Instruments hit deeper, especially piano. Faster songs really shine. Hip hop slams harder. The bass gets deeper, the whole range feels more open and cleaner.

This is INSANE. Wow. I'm using LPS 1.2 to power the receiver, and a POWERADD to power the transmitter. Using upgraded BNC cables from Amazon.

I had read and expected a jump in clarity. This is ABSOLUTELY endgame.

Mar 12, 2021 at 1:58 AM Post #13,004 of 18,496
WireWorld StarLight 8 BNC Part II

Into six hours

Listening to a brighter recording, less brighter now, and each instruments are more distinctive between each others

When come to bass, my best part, more focus/solid, better definitions and extensions, and you can feel the energy from the instruments

Music is more calm (because of accurate tempo) , and background is darker therefore you are able to distinct the space and decay of the instruments

Last, I didn't expect it might such a big impacts to the sound

CD player -> toslink -> HMS

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2021 at 3:38 AM Post #13,005 of 18,496

Get a Supra CAT8 Ethernet Cable, great quality and value, well reviewed by Audiobacon.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back