Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Mar 3, 2021 at 10:40 PM Post #12,978 of 18,495
Expensive and claims of improved audio due to the materials are the “Furutech NCF Booster”...
good starting point for a DIY effort once you’ve seen them .... or read the reviews over at audiobacon if you want to spend serious $$
The Jester, I went to the Furutech website and found the the NCF Booster which looks to be a very well thought out product. I might order one for my very stout and weighty Danacable Lazuli Ultra headphone cable, which it just so happens has a 4-pin Furutech connector. Thanks because I was trying to figure out how I was going to solve that problem since I moved my gear from my dining room table to a solidsteel audio equipment rack.

Mar 3, 2021 at 10:54 PM Post #12,980 of 18,495
Let us know how you get on and any possible audible improvement ... Furutech have a good history of research in cables so I wouldn’t discount their claims even if they do sound a little hard to believe .... 🙂
The Jester, honestly I can’t imagine any audio improvement since I just want to take the stress off of the hp cable itself. Yeah but I’ll post something when I can find one for sale.

Mar 4, 2021 at 4:22 AM Post #12,981 of 18,495
Just to try a different direction than the Wave cables, I purchased 2 ten packs of these https://palomar-engineers.com/ferri...-Range-200-2000-MHz-Bulk-Pack-of-10-p90491417 and placed them my BNC cables (Blue Jeans), USB cable, and power cables from the Chord switching supplies to the devices (TT2 and Mscaler). Seemed to magnify the effects of the Mscaler enough that I don't feel like the $100 was a waste. The Wave cables could be better but I'm not motivated to go that far. I'm aware others state the snap on ferrites don't provide the same results as the rings. Disclaimer - none of my actions were double blind study tested, I'm willing to accept placebo effect can take place, and your results may vary.

Run it with your ferrites for a few days, then take them off. It should highlight any change.

Also for quicker A-B testing, make a list of music tracks with brighter sounds to compare with. E.g there is a lot of cymbal work in Def Leppard - Hysteria. Often there are individual cymbal strikes in Hysteria, so it's easy to concentrate on and hear.

Another eample I have is, the end of Kate Bush (The Whole Story) – Sat in Your Lap, gets quite trebly. Not bright in anyway though, unless a system is bright.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2021 at 12:36 PM Post #12,982 of 18,495
I have been using the M-Scaler/Hugo TT2 (both with S-Booster LPS) combo with an Mac Mini/LPS, Audioohilleo2/PP and Amarra. Now I have replaced the Mac mini with a Melco N10 (a music server). The improvement is substantial! There is sense of calm, peace and naturalness. Dynamics is way much better: tones explode from a black background. I can really recommend it. The Audiophilleo2 with PP (between Melco N10 and M-Scaler) still has some positive effect, although rather small.
I have also inserted LessLoss Firewalls to AC current, as well as Bybee bullets (in the LPSs and in the LessLoss Power distributor) and Bybee iQSE into the Music Server and Hugo TT2. Now, I feel all digital glare is completely absent.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2021 at 9:57 AM Post #12,983 of 18,495
I use two 23000mAh Poweradd's as well for the Opto DX and M-Scaler. Because the battery bank powering the receiver end drains so slowly (~2% per hour!), it can still be close to 90% when the one powering the M-Scaler and ODX transmission unit gets below 15%. If I swap the two batteries at that point (which takes all of 30 seconds), an additional 4+ hours are possible before both units are close to fully discharged.

This makes it easy to get 8+ hours of playing time before having to recharge the two battery packs at the end of the day.
So you have two of the Poweradds and use one to power M Scaler and the transmission and another for just the receiver?

Do you need any particular settings on the batteries or is it plug and play?

Also, powering the M Scaler this way is better I assume?

Does there need to be distance between the M Scaler and DAC?

I'm thinking of buying the ODX and Wave Streamer cables.

I have optical going from PC to my M Scaler. And I have the M Scaler going to my DAVE.

Mar 6, 2021 at 1:30 PM Post #12,984 of 18,495
So you have two of the Poweradds and use one to power M Scaler and the transmission and another for just the receiver?

Do you need any particular settings on the batteries or is it plug and play?

Also, powering the M Scaler this way is better I assume?

Does there need to be distance between the M Scaler and DAC?

I'm thinking of buying the ODX and Wave Streamer cables.

I have optical going from PC to my M Scaler. And I have the M Scaler going to my DAVE.
I'm very happy with the Opto-DX. I ordered it with a 3m optical cable that allows for physical separation between the M Scaler and DAVE. For a while I used Poweradds, but switched to some Uptone LPS-1.2 power supplies that I had lying around. Everything plugged into an Audioquest Niagara 1200 (which made a HUGE improvement). I also just upgraded the four stock BNCs that come with the Opto-DX to .25m Wireworld Starlight 8 dual BNCs.

I I haven't heard the WAVE cables, but seems it's a great product, too. I'd think about form factor preference: two cables for the WAVE, but a little heavy and unwieldy that might limit gear placement, or box proliferation with the Opto-DX, but with easier cable management and more flexibility on gear placement. I don't think you can go wrong with either solution.

muski

Mar 6, 2021 at 2:06 PM Post #12,985 of 18,495
I'm very happy with the Opto-DX. I ordered it with a 3m optical cable that allows for physical separation between the M Scaler and DAVE. For a while I used Poweradds, but switched to some Uptone LPS-1.2 power supplies that I had lying around. Everything plugged into an Audioquest Niagara 1200 (which made a HUGE improvement). I also just upgraded the four stock BNCs that come with the Opto-DX to .25m Wireworld Starlight 8 dual BNCs.

I I haven't heard the WAVE cables, but seems it's a great product, too. I'd think about form factor preference: two cables for the WAVE, but a little heavy and unwieldy that might limit gear placement, or box proliferation with the Opto-DX, but with easier cable management and more flexibility on gear placement. I don't think you can go wrong with either solution.

muski
Where did you get your Bnc cables from ? Did you notice any difference when you used those cables?

Mar 6, 2021 at 8:39 PM Post #12,986 of 18,495

muski
Can uptone LPS 1.2 powered mscaler ? Is it adequate for 12v 1,..ampere ?

Mar 7, 2021 at 8:33 AM Post #12,987 of 18,495
Hi all,

Listed for sale: 2 x Cleareraudio Silver-line Optimus Reference 75 Digital Interconnect, 1m with Oyaide BNC. Excellent with M-Scaler (check out the review on audiobacon.net).

PhenixS

Mar 7, 2021 at 1:15 PM Post #12,988 of 18,495
Can uptone LPS 1.2 powered mscaler ? Is it adequate for 12v 1,..ampere ?
Good question. I haven’t tried it. But worthy of some research. I‘ll email UpTone.

To be clear, I use them to power the Opto-DX boxes.

Mar 7, 2021 at 1:28 PM Post #12,989 of 18,495
Where did you get your Bnc cables from ? Did you notice any difference when you used those cables?
I bought mine directly from Wireworld. I had to email them to get the 0.25m custom length.
https://store.wireworldcable.com/co...-7-digital-audio-cable?variant=12422472630356

The Cable Co also carries them. I think you could even demo them through their lending library program.
https://www.thecableco.com/cables/digital-cables/digital-spdif/wireworld_cable_technology.html

I did notice a difference, but because of the Opto-DX, I’m optimizing at the last few percent. It’d be interesting to compare the stock digital BNC cables Chord supplies vs a 1m version of this cable (without an Opto-DX). At $100 for 1m, it’s a compelling price point.

cheers,
muski

Users who are viewing this thread

Back