Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jan 21, 2021 at 5:49 PM Post #12,421 of 18,489
Is there a reason that people are using optical? I thought it would be the worst of the options and I did not try it. I've compared an SPDIF (using a WAVE cable) to USB (using an Audioquest Carbon cable) and I did not notice any significant difference (Auralic Aries G2, which has galvanic isolation).

Jan 21, 2021 at 6:28 PM Post #12,423 of 18,489
Is there a reason that people are using optical? I thought it would be the worst of the options and I did not try it. I've compared an SPDIF (using a WAVE cable) to USB (using an Audioquest Carbon cable) and I did not notice any significant difference (Auralic Aries G2, which has galvanic isolation).
I am just trying it out, I've been using USB. Just out of curiosity really.

Jan 22, 2021 at 12:03 PM Post #12,425 of 18,489
Just received my used MScaler to go with my Hugo TT2 and initial impressions are great. With redbook files I'm hearing less grain in voices, more refined cymbals, better texture in drums and bass, and significantly better separation between instruments. More to come.

In the meantime, question for the experts. In the MScaler manual it says that you should never power down the MScaler when it is connected to a downstream device (like the TT2). My problem is that I have the units at my office, and all power is shut off there every evening when the last person goes home. Do I need to disconnect my TT2 every day before going home?

Jan 22, 2021 at 12:10 PM Post #12,426 of 18,489
Just received my used MScaler to go with my Hugo TT2 and initial impressions are great. With redbook files I'm hearing less grain in voices, more refined cymbals, better texture in drums and bass, and significantly better separation between instruments. More to come.

In the meantime, question for the experts. In the MScaler manual it says that you should never power down the MScaler when it is connected to a downstream device (like the TT2). My problem is that I have the units at my office, and all power is shut off there every evening when the last person goes home. Do I need to disconnect my TT2 every day before going home?
Do you mean this statement?

1611335322539.png

I think 'during operation' means 'when it is playing'. Not when it's in standby mode (there is no 'off'). I think you're good if you want to do it that way. Personally, I switch off all my gear when I don't use it.

Jan 22, 2021 at 3:25 PM Post #12,427 of 18,489
I've disconnected the power to my MScaler a few times without turning my (downstream) DAVE off without any problems.

Jan 22, 2021 at 3:32 PM Post #12,428 of 18,489
I've disconnected the power to my MScaler a few times without turning my (downstream) DAVE off without any problems.
Same here, dozens of times actually. I now switch it off in the 'right' order, but did not for months. But I never disconnected the power while the M-scaler was playing.

Jan 22, 2021 at 9:47 PM Post #12,429 of 18,489
Has anybody had an MScaler and then sold it? I have an MScaler and a DAVE. After a few months of listening:
a) the impact of the Mscaler is much more subtle than I had expected it to be
b) I am not convinced the SQ with the Mscaler is superior to the DAVE alone

I am seriously considering selling the MScaler and using the funds to upgrade my speakers!

Has anyone else got rid of their MScaler or considered doing so? There does seem to be a steady flow (albeit in small numbers) of second hand Mscalers up for sale.....

Jan 23, 2021 at 6:57 AM Post #12,430 of 18,489
Has anybody had an MScaler and then sold it? I have an MScaler and a DAVE. After a few months of listening:

I am seriously considering selling the MScaler and using the funds to upgrade my speakers!

Has anyone else got rid of their MScaler or considered doing so? There does seem to be a steady flow (albeit in small numbers) of second hand Mscalers up for sale.....
What speakers are you using?

Jan 24, 2021 at 12:40 AM Post #12,432 of 18,489

I just received my new-to-me Mscaler and couldn't be happier. But I have read a few impressions & conversations on forums, that say its effect is more noticeable on the 'lesser-TAPs' Chord DACs. I'm using it with my Qutest, going into a WA22 and the upgrade is quite apparent.

From what I've read, so take this with a huge boulder of salt, the DAVE does pretty good by itself. So if I was on a budget to where taking the loss would be worth it to help with an incremental speaker upgrade, I would probably sell it. Having said that, as you know the loss isn't insignificant.

I haven't listened much through the WA22 yet, as I mostly use it as a preamp into my balanced electrostatic headamp. So far I've been auditioning it through my LLMK2 and SR-007's. Soon I will have the Utopias back, and will be able to compare them coming out of the WA22 vs. the Ms>Hugo2 direct.

Fun times!
For me this is the essence of this hobby;
comparing minute details between audio components,
while listening to my favorite music :)

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2021 at 10:23 AM Post #12,434 of 18,489
B&W CM10 S2 speakers at the moment - which I am going to upgrade.
My comment about the Mscaler also apply to headphone usage direct from the DAVE (Focal Utopias)
If you are looking to a really cost effective upgrade to your DAVE - vibration control is well worth investigating (and I say this listening purely through headphones - the message being the microphony created within DAVE itself is important irrespective of whether you have speakers shaking a room about). Vibration control can be a world in itself - and others have tried all sorts of things - but I was astonished at the difference three of these made (albeit, this was in the context of a DAVE + HMS and one does have to be careful as DAVE balances slightly precariously): http://www.ingress-engineering.ca. I think we all hear differently - to me the difference made by the HMS was immediately apparent and not subtle. The other thing that has been said many times before in these pages (but is none the less true), is that if you are evaluating a HMS you will not be getting anything like the best out of it unless you do something about RFI (e.g. Nick's Wave cables or Dan's Opto DX - both of which have their pros and cons). All these things cumulatively make a really tremendous difference.

Jan 24, 2021 at 11:01 AM Post #12,435 of 18,489
I have a BluMK2 with my DAVE and couldn't be happier.

IMO the improvements are subtle and not night and day; I noticed straight away that piano, violins and lead guitar (when bending the strings) sounded more authentic, with added timbre.
If the BluMK2 was taken out of my system, I'd miss it straight away.
It can depend on the music you are listening to but the telling aspect of this is listening to the upscaled music for a few weeks and then bypassing it - the difference that seemed subtle at first suddenly seems far more noticeable after you have got used to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back