Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jun 14, 2020 at 2:08 AM Post #11,296 of 18,495
I have the Audiophilleo since long, I bought it in 2014. However, I was hoping I could reduce the clutter and remove it from the chain.
Quite possibly, a Jitterbug may have similar effects.
I can only speculate about the cause. However, I thought the >2 GHz noise is an issue between M Scaler and Qutest, and this is why I added all these 19 ferrites to the BNC cables? But it could matter also between MacMIni and M-Scaler, what do I know...

Yes the ferrites. I was forgetting they were there for the 2.5GHz. Or at least I think that is what they are there for. I did ask in a thread if that was the case, because I had only recently heard of 2.5GHz noise, days ago. No-one answered though, so I am going with the assumption, and you confirm it. Thank you.

Yes I would recommend try the Jitterbug. Some say buy an Amazon, then you can return it if you're not happy.

Impressions for the jitterbug are that it reduces soundstage a bit, on a DAC at least. That's due to brightness falsely making the soundstage sound larger. (High frequency sound contains a lot of directional information.) Jitterbug takes away brightness, and makes timbres more real as you hear the other frequencies better. The brightness that it removed is like a flashy glint over everything.

Some in the Mojo thread actually did not like the effect. My impression of the Jitterbug was, 'well that's it - listen on and get used to it'. It compared with optical too, which made USB-Jitterbug win-win. After I adjusted of course there was no going back, and I have three Jitterbugs now.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2020 at 4:36 AM Post #11,297 of 18,495
I recently added the Intona 7055B USB isolator to improve the sound of the Intel NUC running Roon Rock and streaming Qobuz. If fully isolates the USB power and data lines, with no capacitive coupling on the output. It includes a LT3045 voltage regulator on the 5 volt USB output power. It was a significant improvement on the NUC directly connected to the Blu2. It would be really interesting to compare it to an expensive steamer. I can no longer hear the difference between a CD played directly on the Blu2 and streamed content.

Jun 14, 2020 at 10:19 AM Post #11,298 of 18,495
I recently added the Intona 7055B USB isolator to improve the sound of the Intel NUC running Roon Rock and streaming Qobuz. If fully isolates the USB power and data lines, with no capacitive coupling on the output. It includes a LT3045 voltage regulator on the 5 volt USB output power. It was a significant improvement on the NUC directly connected to the Blu2. It would be really interesting to compare it to an expensive steamer. I can no longer hear the difference between a CD played directly on the Blu2 and streamed content.
Interesting. In my case, I could still appreciate the improvement of a linear power supply for the Mac mini, even in the presence of Audiophilleo2 w/PurePower, suggesting that a state-of-the-art streamer could still provide further improvement,

Jun 14, 2020 at 10:48 AM Post #11,299 of 18,495
Just a quick thought on the 2.5 gHz 'issue', and the varying degree to which folks may or may not notice any detrimental effects.

I'm wondering if a major player might possibly be the added all-pervading presence of 2.4 gHz broadband router signals. As mentioned recently by a member, routers are getting increasingly powerful and must surely be at least adding to any other source in one's environment...such as Mscaler lol! In my own case for example, my laptop lists a host of other signals available, one of them (goodness knows where from) far stronger than mine in my own house! Could such signals be increasing susceptibility to the 2.5 gHz 'effect' in some of our setups?

Fortunately, I'm blessed with what would appear to be total immunity from said noise/signal degradation, having tried very hard indeed to spy anything lurking in my totally black, silent background, or any negative/diminishing effects upon the final sound. And especially lucky/surprised considering my TT2 sits atop HMS, on oak cone isolation feet (but with very short BNC cables)...against all odds, it would appear! :wink: I can only surmise that my mains power conditioning/filtering and latest unorthodox twinned 'coax alternative' and power/DC cables (with no ferrites added!) are assisting in this fortunate state of affairs, despite the said particular Chord 2.5 gHz gremlin being able to foil most types of shielding!! Plus, of course, a healthy dose of luck! :slight_smile:

In short - and back to original hypothesis, perhaps srong router signals - either one's own, or from outside, might explain/contribute to some folks' niggling experiences re. this phenomenon?

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2020 at 11:30 AM Post #11,300 of 18,495
Whenever I hear this tune, it reminds me of Nam, why, I don't know.

A8AEB77D-F7FC-4D0C-B330-3F6D86F40987.png

Oh wait, now I remember why, it's because I heard it on a Vietnam War documentary on the Smithsonian channel.

Jun 14, 2020 at 4:01 PM Post #11,301 of 18,495
I’m just using my setup purely for headphones, Focal Utopia. I also won’t be getting an Opto-DX for the reasons you stated. Too much mess. I might look into Wave cables next year. Right now sounds excellent with just some cheap Blue Jeans bcn cables and stock power supply. I’m sure things can improve further but think all this talk of RFI might be overblown. Seems like the final tweak but not a must have.

No, not overblown at all and I consider it a must-have. Dan offers a 60-day money back guarantee, so why not let your own ears decide?

Jun 14, 2020 at 8:45 PM Post #11,302 of 18,495
No, not overblown at all and I consider it a must-have. Dan offers a 60-day money back guarantee, so why not let your own ears decide?

I'm sure it sounds amazing and that the difference is worth the cost. My issue is the clutter. My DAVE is not on a rack but on a small stand next to a lounge chair. I dread having a tangle of boxes and wires.

Are you powering the transmitter/receiver though battery packs or a power supplies?

Have you found an arrangement that organizes it in a neat way?

Jun 14, 2020 at 9:16 PM Post #11,303 of 18,495
I'm sure it sounds amazing and that the difference is worth the cost. My issue is the clutter. My DAVE is not on a rack but on a small stand next to a lounge chair. I dread having a tangle of boxes and wires.

Are you powering the transmitter/receiver though battery packs or a power supplies?

I hear you about clutter as that was my initial hesitation as well. I was able to minimize clutter when looking from the front:

8EBDDA59-BB79-43E4-9B63-FBD978756372.jpeg

But it’s a bit of a mess from behind. That’s mostly because I elected to use thick coax with the OPTO. It ships with thin BNC cables that are quite flexible. It would be less cluttered if I was using those.

Note the pair of batteries are on the shelf below.

49E57922-37B2-4E11-A789-D72E80715A1C.jpeg

A benefit of the OPTO DX is that you can have the HMS positioned much further from your DAC with no loss just by running a long run of fiber. This might give you the ability to better avoid clutter.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2020 at 9:29 PM Post #11,304 of 18,495
Z

Good to know but at this point I just got a Danacable for my Utopia, so any more upgrade purchases on hold. Also, I’m more inclined to go with the Wave cable as my permanent solution since it’s much simpler. And may go with a battery solution at first just to test what difference of removing the RFI the power pack adds.

Jun 14, 2020 at 9:36 PM Post #11,305 of 18,495
So spotify 320 kbit + M Scaler would ne nice oder no? I stream to a Sotm SMS 200 which is fine without Roon. Tidal and Quobuz work via DLNA and Spotify via Librespot.

I never owned any CD nor Vinyl or anything. People who own CDs and listen to music in albums usually don't have problems with Tidal. But if you're used to playlists Tidal just won't work.

Sadly i don't find any answers to the topic spotify + M Scaler. Nobody who tried that?
I called a few shops here but they either think you are trolling when you mention spotify and M Scaler in one sentence of they just wanna tell you how much better Tidal is. One salesman i called even went on listing me studies that found out that MP3 causes depression.

The majority of songs i find on Tidal are around 600-900 kbits. I don't know how much Spotify songs have but let's say around 300.
Is it really so ridiculous to think that M Scaler could upgrade Spotify to the average Tidal quality?
if you are going to own an m scaler do yourself a favor and do not listen to spotify

Jun 14, 2020 at 9:38 PM Post #11,306 of 18,495
Whenever I hear this tune, it reminds me of Nam, why, I don't know.

Oh wait, now I remember why, it's because I heard it on a Vietnam War documentary on the Smithsonian channel.
Phuca, ro you use

Would love to see a pictures of your rig

Jun 14, 2020 at 9:43 PM Post #11,308 of 18,495
You guys seem to know a lot about quality cables, any time I ask in other threads about a good cable for headphones expecially for resolution and clarity I get snapped at for *cables Dont make difference*

So, what are the standout cables for headphones to increase resoand clarity?

Jun 14, 2020 at 9:46 PM Post #11,310 of 18,495
Good to know but at this point I just got a Danacable for my Utopia, so any more upgrade purchases on hold. Also, I’m more inclined to go with the Wave cable as my permanent solution since it’s much simpler. And may go with a battery solution at first just to test what difference of removing the RFI the power pack adds.

As an FYI, is a great write-up by a friend that mirrors my impressions:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hug...nics-the-official-thread.885042/post-15293682

Users who are viewing this thread

Back