Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
May 18, 2020 at 2:59 PM Post #11,011 of 18,496
I just don’t get why you guys don’t go start a HQplayer thread and discuss this stuff over there. I can’t imagine going over to a HQplayer thread and continuing to post about how awesome the MScaler is. That’s just be silly.

That’s about where I am.

May 18, 2020 at 3:44 PM Post #11,012 of 18,496
Mscaler begs the discussion as should any new technology implementation. Unfortunate it had to become personal for someone. This is just a hobby not a religion.

May 18, 2020 at 3:49 PM Post #11,013 of 18,496
I just don’t get why you guys don’t go start a HQplayer thread and discuss this stuff over there.
Everything comparing Mscaler to HQP is just on topic on mscaler thread as is in a HQP thread. Now anything about HQP that is not about comparing it to mscaler is in fact off-topic here, and should be done on HQP thread.
When we compare headphone A to headphone B, we can make it either on A thread or B thread.
If we need specific comparision threads to compare each two models, for just 10 models, we would need 1024 threads for all the combinations... :xf_cool:

I can’t imagine going over to a HQplayer thread and continuing to post about how awesome the MScaler is. That’s just be silly.
I don't see people here saying how awsome HQP is.
I see @iamoneagain and @ecwl have both A/B compared mscaler and HQP and they both report to prefer mscaler. Those are very very interesting and very on-topic reports.
I also see people that do not want to read anything about HQP, even if comparing it to mscaler, but do not seem so affected by the thousands of complete off-topic posts that plague this thread as well as others.

Last edited:
May 18, 2020 at 4:09 PM Post #11,014 of 18,496
Now I am about to ask the real question: Can you mscale an mscaled song - like putting together Mscalers in line: throw that redbook in - one on low mscale setting (red) , the second in medium (green) third high (purpe) last on max - does it get better then mscaling right from 48 to 768 khz??

Like folding damascus steel...
I know the question is tongue-in-cheek but I’m a loser so I’ll answer it for real.

You can definitely run say 3 M-Scaler from 44.1kHz into Green M-Scaler -> single BNC to 88.2kHz into Blue M-Scaler -> single BNC to 176.4kHz into White M-scaler -> dual BNC to get 705.4kHz, instead of 1 M-Scaler 44.1kHz into White M-Scaler to get dual BNC 705.4kHz.

However, first of all, every time you run a signal through the M-Scaler, it is automatically upsampled to 705.4kHz and then to get the 88.2kHz or 176.4kHz outputs, M-Scaler just drops the samples in between. So theoretically, you should get the same signal regardless without any benefits, since M-Scaler upsampling is accurate to 16 bits at least.

However, M-Scaler assumes that the incoming source signal might have intersample overs. So in order to accommodate the signal without clipping, it reduces the level by 2.73dB before upsampling. That means running through 1 M-Scaler would attenuate the volume by 2.73dB if you use the bypass mode whereas running it through 3 M-Scalers would lower the volume by 2.73dB x 3 = 8.19dB

Anyway, this is how M-Scaler works.

May 18, 2020 at 4:12 PM Post #11,015 of 18,496
Everything comparing Mscaler to HQP is just on topic on mscaler thread as is in a HQP thread. Now anything about HQP that is not about comparing it to mscaler is in fact off-topic here, and should be done on HQP thread.
When we compare headphone A to headphone B, we can make it either on A thread or B thread.
If we need specific comparision threads to compare each two models, for just 10 models, we would need 1024 threads for all the combinations... :xf_cool:

Yet if someone popped into say the Focal Utopia thread to talk about how their LCD2s with Apple Music EQ settings bested or got 99% of the way there to the Utopia, and did this every couple of months in that thread, it might be a little silly and tiring, no?

May 18, 2020 at 4:26 PM Post #11,016 of 18,496
Hmmm... I just realized in a Roon post by @dmance that Jussi added the LNS15 noise shaper to his Sinc-M filter in HQPlayer in January 2020.
Interestingly, @Rob Watts mentioned that in addition to trying to upsample via 1 million taps with M-Scaler as accurate as possible (at least 16 bits accuracy compared with a sinc filter), he also aggressively noise shapes with an 11th order noise shaper instead of dithering to 24-bit 705.4kHz/756kHz in mid-December 2019.
You have to wonder if Jussi/HQPlayer read Rob Watts‘s post and then added the LNS15 filter as a 15th order noise shaper to mimick M-Scaler further.

May 18, 2020 at 4:35 PM Post #11,017 of 18,496
What are the dual bnc inputs for? Perhaps to be fed from another mscaler? Lol.

May 18, 2020 at 7:01 PM Post #11,018 of 18,496
Mscaler and closed back headphones (aeon flow closed) and tt2, are just fantastic at electronic music (Aphex Twins albums, syro and druqs).
It’s a real journey you go on, so many layers and depth, all encompassing, such amazing sound textures.
Full on, not head banging or anything, total immersion.

May 18, 2020 at 7:12 PM Post #11,019 of 18,496
Mscaler and closed back headphones (aeon flow closed) and tt2, are just fantastic at electronic music (Aphex Twins albums, syro and druqs).
It’s a real journey you go on, so many layers and depth, all encompassing, such amazing sound textures.
Full on, not head banging or anything, total immersion.

https://open.qobuz.com/album/0801061003838 :)

May 18, 2020 at 8:21 PM Post #11,021 of 18,496
out of curiosity, I tried the HQP!

One word, shxxt...can't get even one track play!

I think old style better, insert a CD and play...or just select senceMe (5000+ tracks) from the Sony

P/S: at the bottom of the HQP (after the last track) indicate something something , and, no format available

Last edited:
May 19, 2020 at 1:05 AM Post #11,022 of 18,496
For me, HQP could not be an alternative to M Scaler at all. All reports suggests it sounds inferior. Apparently, there are many filters and parameters, screaming for constant fiddling, upgrading and stuff. It seems to be for restless people who enjoy tinkering around, not for me

May 19, 2020 at 1:11 PM Post #11,023 of 18,496
As for closing m scaler vs hqplayer discussion. Remember one thing.
Taps are not the goal ! Taps are only tools for achieving perfect sound :)
Same thing with sample rates - it's only tool, or I should rather say medium, carrier.
Algorithm is the most important - how you reconstruct data between samples.

Anyway I found another music for m scaler evaluation. (if somebody still is not decided)
1589908132053.png

Yes I know sometimes I'm also tired of hotel California everywhere.
BUT listen to this album. Tremendous recordings !
Check how m scaler adds space to the song. In this particular track there is this drum hitting slowly from the beginning of the track. (actually 0:36)
Listen to it with m scaler on and m scaler off. :) Musical bliss !

Last edited:
May 19, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #11,024 of 18,496
As for closing m scaler vs hqplayer discussion. Remember one thing.
Taps are not the goal ! Taps are only tools for achieving perfect sound :)
Same thing with sample rates - it's only tool, or I should rather say medium, carrier.
Algorithm is the most important - how you reconstruct data between samples.

Anyway I found another music for m scaler evaluation. (if somebody still is not decided)
1589908132053.png
Yes I know sometimes I'm also tired of hotel California everywhere.
BUT listen to this album. Tremendous recordings !
Check how m scaler adds space to the song. In this particular track there is this drum hitting slowly from the beginning of the track. (actually 0:36)
Listen to it with m scaler on and m scaler off. :) Musical bliss !
I tried comparing mscaler on and off. I’d say on, the instruments stand out more. Off, the instruments just feel a bit bright.
On the audience has an energy-emotion.
Surprising the difference, but I had to repeat a few times to try to hear what was the difference.

May 19, 2020 at 4:30 PM Post #11,025 of 18,496
I tried comparing mscaler on and off. I’d say on, the instruments stand out more. Off, the instruments just feel a bit bright.
On the audience has an energy-emotion.
Surprising the difference, but I had to repeat a few times to try to hear what was the difference.
Focus on this drum that I mentioned. Without m scaler its just like bum, bum, bum
with m scaler it's like bumssss, bumssss... you just hear the decay of bass, you can easily notice how it is located in space.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back