Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
May 12, 2020 at 6:25 AM Post #10,876 of 18,495
Waiting for my M-Scaler to arrive, are there any great albums to try and hear the upscale difference very clearly to strengthen the WWOOWW effect, any good music recommendations (no operas please)?
I’d say something raw and live like your favorite singer in an intimate small gig setting / acoustic possibly.
I’d say try to get away from studio recorded album as they’ve been too polished.
Saying that, fleet wood Mac rumours is mind bogglingly different.

May 12, 2020 at 10:03 AM Post #10,877 of 18,495
I noticed on the Naim forum that some people are using a new switch with very good results apparently. It is from the “Chord company” though, which I believe Is the cable company, not Chord Electronics. It is called the Eastern Electric 8 switch, a google search will find it quick. Has anyone here tried this switch?

May 12, 2020 at 10:06 AM Post #10,878 of 18,495
I noticed on the Naim forum that some people are using a new switch with very good results apparently. It is from the “Chord company” though, which I believe Is the cable company, not Chord Electronics. It is called the Eastern Electric 8 switch, a google search will find it quick. Has anyone here tried this switch?

No, haven't tried that. I think I also heard that Innuos are working on a switch device that will also bear the Phoenix name like their reclocker.

May 12, 2020 at 10:32 AM Post #10,879 of 18,495
SOLVED: THE optical cable of the MScaler does not fit into the Hugo 2 optical input hole..

archive "I have a problem, can you please help with troubleshooting Mscaler with my Hugo 2:

My Dual BNC cable adapter has not arrived yet :frowning2: so...
...so I try Laptop (windows) via ROON to M-Scaler with USB - and I try to connect optical output of the Mscaler with the optical input of the Hugo 2.

Soo the RED light at the DXOP button lights up, the music in my headphones is clipping, cracking and stopping. Does anyone have a solution for that?"

Last edited:
May 12, 2020 at 11:09 AM Post #10,880 of 18,495
Hugo2 to M-Scaler cable turned out kind of heavy🥴
This is the plain version (Belden cable, Neutrik BNC) - the all bling male jewelry version ( Oyaide silver) will follow.
This version sounds nice already.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 12, 2020 at 12:34 PM Post #10,881 of 18,495
Waiting for my M-Scaler to arrive, are there any great albums to try and hear the upscale difference very clearly to strengthen the WWOOWW effect, any good music recommendations (no operas please)?

What kind of music do you like?

I’d recommend any well recorded live show. Acoustic live shows in particular can be jaw dropping.

And don’t underestimate what the MScaler can do with an already high res music file. You’ll get a ton of enjoyment with those too.

May 12, 2020 at 1:46 PM Post #10,882 of 18,495
What kind of music do you like?

I’d recommend any well recorded live show. Acoustic live shows in particular can be jaw dropping.

And don’t underestimate what the MScaler can do with an already high res music file. You’ll get a ton of enjoyment with those too.

WoW - I am really looking forward to the bnc cable adapter
1589305573130.png

May 13, 2020 at 3:46 AM Post #10,883 of 18,495
It was hard for me to imagine the effect of the Mscaler added to my system based on the descriptions I have read.

I would say that if digital music is a compressed down pilow then the M-Scaler opens it up, shakes it in its shape, gives its volume back, makes it airy and full. :wink:

I say the step adding Mscaler to a Hugo 2 is just as much quality difference as replacing my Audeze LCD 2 Classic with the ZMF Verite Open.

Very happy now, and I was just enjoying its limited output, as my BNC adapter will just arrive today :).

May 13, 2020 at 4:12 AM Post #10,884 of 18,495
Hugo2 to M-Scaler cable turned out kind of heavy🥴
This is the plain version (Belden cable, Neutrik BNC) - the all bling male jewelry version ( Oyaide silver) will follow.
This version sounds nice already.
Hi, this is ferrites on cable or what?
Have you done this cable by yourself?

Thanks.

May 13, 2020 at 6:42 AM Post #10,887 of 18,495
Hi, this is ferrites on cable or what?
Have you done this cable by yourself?

Thanks.
Hi, thank you for your question.Yes, I made this cable myself.
These are ferrites: DigiKey No 732-1554-ND
The BNC connector are Neutrik NBNC75BUU11
The cable is a Belden 1694A-GN
And the 3.5 mm connector is Hicon HI-J35S03

Best, Bruno

May 13, 2020 at 10:16 AM Post #10,888 of 18,495

Having tried a cIsco 2960, my experience supports the idea that switches do matter.
It would be interesting to hear feedback on this new switch if anyone tries it. The price seems reasonable compared to competing products.
Here is the link: https://englishelectric.uk/

May 13, 2020 at 11:51 AM Post #10,889 of 18,495
Having tried a cIsco 2960, my experience supports the idea that switches do matter.
It would be interesting to hear feedback on this new switch if anyone tries it. The price seems reasonable compared to competing products.
Here is the link: https://englishelectric.uk/
There is an active thread on the Naim forum about it, under “streaming Audio”. The product is fairly new so there are members receiving them daily, and reporting on them. I too use the Cisco 2960 switch, and noticed an immediate upgrade with it.By the way, the guy who opened the thread uses an Mscaler with Dave, not sure if he is a member here.

Last edited:
May 13, 2020 at 11:53 AM Post #10,890 of 18,495
There is an active thread on the Naim forum about it, under “streaming Audio”. The product is fairly new so there are members receiving them daily, and reporting on them. I too use the Cisco 2960 switch, and noticed an immediate upgrade with it.

Does one need to programme the 2960 switch or is it plug and play? They come up on ebay at reasonable prices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back