Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
May 6, 2020 at 3:19 PM Post #10,862 of 18,495
I want a desktop version of the 2go/2y, in one box since I am trading in my NDS/XPSDR on some new speakers. Actually my Naim Core directly into my Mscaler with the stock BNC cables with ferrites feeding my TT2 sounds incredible. Also my new speakers are 91 DB’s efficient, so might work directly off the TT2, that would be cool, but they may need more power. I would hate to buy an amp to drive them, and a month later Chord release the new digital amps...any updates on this lately? The new (used) speakers are made in Denmark, Peak Consult Incognito X11 Signature. I can not see a TT2 driving 160 pound each speaker with enough power, or can it? They are the ones in the middle.
6B24BEC5-AFE9-4B12-9009-FBB6FA60C4ED.jpeg

May 6, 2020 at 4:11 PM Post #10,863 of 18,495
I want a desktop version of the 2go/2y, in one box since I am trading in my NDS/XPSDR on some new speakers. Actually my Naim Core directly into my Mscaler with the stock BNC cables with ferrites feeding my TT2 sounds incredible. Also my new speakers are 91 DB’s efficient, so might work directly off the TT2, that would be cool, but they may need more power. I would hate to buy an amp to drive them, and a month later Chord release the new digital amps...any updates on this lately? The new (used) speakers are made in Denmark, Peak Consult Incognito X11 Signature. I can not see a TT2 driving 160 pound each speaker with enough power, or can it? They are the ones in the middle.6B24BEC5-AFE9-4B12-9009-FBB6FA60C4ED.jpeg
All I can suggest is try it, you have nothing to lose.
@Mojo ideas has posted a while back, that the digital amps are a few years away, so take that as your start point.
I know that I can use my Hugo2 to direct drive my Focal Aria 936 floorstanders loud enough for me to enjoy jazz music.
The TT2 will have a bit more power, so give it a go. The worst case is that you need to buy an amp such as the TToby or Etude, but there is much pleasure to be obtained by direct driving if possible.

May 6, 2020 at 4:27 PM Post #10,864 of 18,495
All I can suggest is try it, you have nothing to lose.
@Mojo ideas has posted a while back, that the digital amps are a few years away, so take that as your start point.
Just for @N Quarter John Franks technically said digital amps of similar power as Ultima (and probably even a Etude) is probably a few years away. I don’t know how much power you need.
There’s no way to know Chord’s roadmap. For a while it sounded like Rob Watts abandoned the digital amps for the ADC and then he stopped working on the ADC for something else (maybe TT2). He is definitely working on something right now. He recently said he might provide some hints but that may mean tonight or it may happen a month from now. And it may be sufficiently cryptic we won’t know whether it’s the digital amp, ADC or something else. The only two good news are:
1) Rob Watts is working on something
2) he will definitely return to the digital amp and ADC after the pause

May 6, 2020 at 4:55 PM Post #10,865 of 18,495
Just for @N Quarter John Franks technically said digital amps of similar power as Ultima (and probably even a Etude) is probably a few years away. I don’t know how much power you need.
There’s no way to know Chord’s roadmap. For a while it sounded like Rob Watts abandoned the digital amps for the ADC and then he stopped working on the ADC for something else (maybe TT2). He is definitely working on something right now. He recently said he might provide some hints but that may mean tonight or it may happen a month from now. And it may be sufficiently cryptic we won’t know whether it’s the digital amp, ADC or something else. The only two good news are:
1) Rob Watts is working on something
2) he will definitely return to the digital amp and ADC after the pause
Yes, clearly Rob is working on something.
But ultimately JF is the customer, so he has the ultimate GO/NOGO decision on whether Robs designs reach the public.

May 6, 2020 at 5:52 PM Post #10,866 of 18,495
The TT2 will have a bit more power, so give it a go.
I am currently driving Dynaudio excite 12’s with my TT2, and they are 86 DB/4 ohm’s, and they sound incredible but lack some bottom end. The Peak’s are 91 DB/ 4 ohm’s , but I am sure there is more to it than those numbers, isn’t there Rob? Anyway, for sure I will give it a try direct before buying an amp, maybe i can hold off for a while.

Last edited:
May 10, 2020 at 7:14 AM Post #10,867 of 18,495
I'm currently using TT2 and mscaler fed by a chromecast audio streaming tidal. My subscription is the basic tidal 9.99 a month one. With my setup would it be worth upgrading to the 'high res better quality' 19.99 a month one or would that be pointless given what the mscaler does?

Thanks

May 10, 2020 at 7:20 AM Post #10,868 of 18,495
I'm currently using TT2 and mscaler fed by a chromecast audio streaming tidal. My subscription is the basic tidal 9.99 a month one. With my setup would it be worth upgrading to the 'high res better quality' 19.99 a month one or would that be pointless given what the mscaler does?

Thanks
Qobuz is only 15 for hi res and has a better catalog in my view.

May 10, 2020 at 7:33 AM Post #10,869 of 18,495

Thanks
The Tidal Premium is lossy. The Mscaler can’t put that info back. The Tidal HiFi is what you want. The Mscaler works best without MQA though.

May 11, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #10,870 of 18,495
How good is the M Scaler connected to Hugo 2, is it a HUGE leap in SQ?
I would say so, yes. It is like the musicians and the music finally came to my home as friends. Before, the sound was good and enjoyable, but in hindsight I would say it was clearly a reproduction, trying hard to be music, kind of exhausting after some time.
I do not know how much better an TT2 or Dave would be - I can guess the potential for improvement: the sound may be a little brittle still, could be more coherent with more inner glow.

May 11, 2020 at 3:49 PM Post #10,871 of 18,495

Thanks

Start a free trial of Qobuz and compare what flac/hi res audio sounds like. If you like it, you might just want to go with Qobuz since it’s cheaper.

May 11, 2020 at 5:28 PM Post #10,872 of 18,495
Just found another instrument that sounds wonderful through M Scaler + DAVE: bassoon!

Roon's excellent new "Recommenced For You" feature just offered up a new recording of Mozart's Basson Concerto available on Qobuz. It's bassoon like I've never heard through any other digital reproduction system—so realistic, warm and detailed. Not a solo instrument I listen to often, but this is well worth a quick audition, just to hear what Chord upscaling can do.

Screen Shot 2020-05-11 at 2.20.13 PM.png

The other instrument, that I mentioned a few months ago that sounds amazing though M Scaler is harpsichord.

Cheers,
muski

May 11, 2020 at 10:00 PM Post #10,873 of 18,495
Just found another instrument that sounds wonderful through M Scaler + DAVE: bassoon!

Roon's excellent new "Recommenced For You" feature just offered up a new recording of Mozart's Basson Concerto available on Qobuz. It's bassoon like I've never heard through any other digital reproduction system—so realistic, warm and detailed. Not a solo instrument I listen to often, but this is well worth a quick audition, just to hear what Chord upscaling can do.

The other instrument, that I mentioned a few months ago that sounds amazing though M Scaler is harpsichord.

Cheers,
muski
Not even a classical person but this was fun to check out.

May 12, 2020 at 12:40 AM Post #10,874 of 18,495

Cheers,
muski

Thanks. I’ll check that out. The bassoon is one of my favourite instruments alongside the cello.

May 12, 2020 at 4:42 AM Post #10,875 of 18,495
Waiting for my M-Scaler to arrive, are there any great albums to try and hear the upscale difference very clearly to strengthen the WWOOWW effect, any good music recommendations (no operas please)?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back