Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Apr 28, 2020 at 7:47 PM Post #10,801 of 18,543
I’m using all stock cables on my mscaler to my Dave and stock cord on Focal Utopia. Everything has the right tone and sounds amazing. I have no desire to spend anymore money on my system.

Just think a lot of people that can afford these systems can also afford to buy expensive cables, so why not max it out. I just think you end up in an endless upgrade loop. Always tweeting for better sound. At some point you just need to enjoy it.

when we’re all home all the time now, is there anything better to spend money on?! my biggest guilt in this hobby was not being home office to enjoy my kit. my office has a nice set up too, but my home set-up is the better one!

Apr 28, 2020 at 7:53 PM Post #10,802 of 18,543
when we’re all home all the time now, is there anything better to spend money on?! my biggest guilt in this hobby was not being home office to enjoy my kit. my office has a nice set up too, but my home set-up is the better one!

True and it is a part of this hobby. I just remember when I had a tube amp and then got caught up hunting down all these different tubes to tweak the sound. I lost focus on enjoying the music and more interested in how one tube would sound over the other. Think it’s the same with solid state swapping out cords. Basically fine tuning your sound.

For me, I find the sound changes more depending on my mood. A few sips of scotch, I’m relaxed and everything’s perfect.

Apr 28, 2020 at 9:15 PM Post #10,803 of 18,543
it's time to start enjoying the music.

Apr 28, 2020 at 9:25 PM Post #10,804 of 18,543
I've commented on social media, that one of the things I am most grateful for during this lockdown, is to be able to be home. I have traveled 35 of the last 45 years 100% and I just don't get to do this often. I got to upgrade my home system as we went into lockdown with a qutest/mscaler and CJ Premier 12 mono blocks. Its a significant upgrade and I got the joy of listening to it in our downtime. I really am grateful, I just wish it didn't take a pandemic to slow me down so much. I am enjoying the music!

Apr 28, 2020 at 10:48 PM Post #10,805 of 18,543
Im using just that setup atm. Im very happy with it!! Msclaer TT2 silver cable and Empy. I will look into different BNC cables at some point but I have to recover from the financial shock of buying Chord products first....

i had the empy for a while, and then when i listened to the empy at the dealers with the mTT2 combo, it sounded like a completely different headphone. music was flowing so effortlessly, and sounded really "sweet" and just "right". I've not had a chance to listen to the mTT2 combo again, or with other headphones, but that sensation of "oh wow are these what my headphones can do" has just been at the back of my mind ever since.

I’m using all stock cables on my mscaler and my Dave and stock cord on Focal Utopia. Everything has the right tone and sounds amazing. I have no desire to spend anymore money on my system.

Just think a lot of people that can afford these systems can also afford to buy expensive cables, so why not max it out. I just think you end up in an endless upgrade loop. Always tweeting for better sound. At some point you just need to enjoy it.

thanks for chiming in. the fact you're using stock cables with mscaler and Dave are quite a relief for me.
there is so much talk here on using specific BNC cables, worrying about RFI, placement, cable length etc, it got me wondering if it was worth all the trouble.
but now i've found out there are also folks who just use the items out of the box and with stock cables, and still get good sound, and like i said, it is quite a relief to see that.

Apr 29, 2020 at 12:09 PM Post #10,806 of 18,543
I’m using all stock cables on my mscaler and my Dave and stock cord on Focal Utopia. Everything has the right tone and sounds amazing. I have no desire to spend anymore money on my system.

If I had Focal Utopia, I would not even hesitate to buy the Moon Audio Black Dragon V2 or V3. (Whichever is the latest.)

I agree wholeheartedly with your perspective though, in that we should spend time enjoying rather that fretting over upgrading. There is a big however with cables though. E.g. My previous speaker cable was £10/m and a bit bright. I replaced it with £160/m cable that was neutral. The difference was worth it twice over. Analogue cables make the difference all day and every day.

In your case you're saying, your tone is right. Many who upgrade cables are wanting to tune. Since upgraded cables come with better detail too, then it's win - win.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2020 at 1:40 PM Post #10,807 of 18,543
there is so much talk here on using specific BNC cables, worrying about RFI, placement, cable length etc
That’s because we are trying to get even better sound out of our gear. It does not mean that M Scaler is not good enough without all those things. Even with stock cables M Scaler do very good job improving Chord DACs sound. Which, actually, already were among the best in the industry even before M Scaler was introduced.

Apr 29, 2020 at 2:52 PM Post #10,808 of 18,543
there is so much talk here on using specific BNC cables, worrying about RFI, placement, cable length etc, it got me wondering if it was worth all the trouble.
but now i've found out there are also folks who just use the items out of the box and with stock cables, and still get good sound, and like i said, it is quite a relief to see that.
That’s because we are trying to get even better sound out of our gear. It does not mean that M Scaler is not good enough without all those things. Even with stock cables M Scaler do very good job improving Chord DACs sound. Which, actually, already were among the best in the industry even before M Scaler was introduced.

I used the stock BNCs for a year and was quite happy with them. I decided to replace them with Blue Jeans Cable BNCs just because the cost was low, so low risk to see if there was improvement. I can tell you it did improve things more than I thought it would, so I'm happy given the under US $40 price paid.

Apr 29, 2020 at 5:02 PM Post #10,809 of 18,543
i had the empy for a while, and then when i listened to the empy at the dealers with the mTT2 combo, it sounded like a completely different headphone. music was flowing so effortlessly, and sounded really "sweet" and just "right". I've not had a chance to listen to the mTT2 combo again, or with other headphones, but that sensation of "oh wow are these what my headphones can do" has just been at the back of my mind ever since.

thanks for chiming in. the fact you're using stock cables with mscaler and Dave are quite a relief for me.
I used the stock BNCs for a year and was quite happy with them. I decided to replace them with Blue Jeans Cable BNCs just because the cost was low, so low risk to see if there was improvement. I can tell you it did improve things more than I thought it would, so I'm happy given the under US $40 price paid.

That’s good to know. I’ve used Blue Jeans cable in the past and when I lived in Seattle I liked that they were a local company. Not a lot of money to try out.

But see, this starts you down the path. Oh wow, bnc sounds better, So now let’s swap headphone cord, and power cord, and usb cord. Think that’s all my cords.

But then seems weird to try and spend money to improve the sound of something you’re more than happy with. But buying the mscaler was kind of like that. But was sold by the 30 year quest and all the science behind it and analog sound.

Apr 29, 2020 at 5:50 PM Post #10,810 of 18,543
That’s good to know. I’ve used Blue Jeans cable in the past and when I lived in Seattle I liked that they were a local company. Not a lot of money to try out.

But see, this starts you down the path. Oh wow, bnc sounds better, So now let’s swap headphone cord, and power cord, and usb cord. Think that’s all my cords.

But then seems weird to try and spend money to improve the sound of something you’re more than happy with. But buying the mscaler was kind of like that. But was sold by the 30 year quest and all the science behind it and analog sound.

It's just a matter of understanding the diminishing returns aspect and having your own limits. I have an upper limit that I'm not willing to spend on things like cables and I don't cross that.

Apr 30, 2020 at 5:44 AM Post #10,813 of 18,543
Last edited:
Apr 30, 2020 at 7:12 AM Post #10,814 of 18,543
I just started using auto-input mode on HMS, I typically only used USB input in the past from my Innuos server, but am also now running two separate optical inputs (one from my Alienware PC and one from my Apple TV).

Auto-input works great when switching between USB and Optical 1 input, but the HMS does not recognize playback from the Optical 2 input (blue color) and switch accordingly.

Is this an intended function or just an oversight?

Apr 30, 2020 at 7:19 AM Post #10,815 of 18,543
I just started using auto-input mode on HMS, I typically only used USB input in the past from my Innuos server, but am also now running two separate optical inputs (one from my Alienware PC and one from my Apple TV).

Auto-input works great when switching between USB and Optical 1 input, but the HMS does not recognize playback from the Optical 2 input (blue color) and switch accordingly.

Is this an intended function or just an oversight?
Actually in my case m scaler does recognize opt2. But I'm in a bit different situation.
I don't use usb.
I have optical 1 connected to my hifiberry streamer and optical 2 connected to my pc.

When I stop the music on roon, m scaler automatically switches to optical 2 and I can watch youtube or smth. It takes some time (like 5-10 seconds), but it's working.

I think what is happening optical must be "dark". I mean when I stop roon music playing, hifiberry stops optical signal to be sending via cable. Then m scaler sees "red" light in optical 2 and switches - I hope it makes sense. It has to be digitally silent.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back