Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Apr 23, 2020 at 2:25 PM Post #10,726 of 18,495
Been following a thread about chc power supplies for both the dave and mscaler, apparently a nice improvement on both, so the question is, would this be true or just mind games?

Well I see you are in the UK so after the lockdown why not pop in to see me and I can do a blind test comparison for you. It will only take two or three minutes for you to hear but then we can have coffee and cakes and listen to some music. :relaxed:

Apr 23, 2020 at 2:40 PM Post #10,727 of 18,495
Well I see you are in the UK so after the lockdown why not pop in to see me and I can do a blind test comparison for you. It will only take two or three minutes for you to hear but then we can have coffee and cakes and listen to some music. :relaxed:

That sounds like a great idea as I love cakes, not so much coffee.

Apr 23, 2020 at 3:21 PM Post #10,728 of 18,495
That sounds like a great idea as I love cakes, not so much coffee.

The other treats I can offer all made within a few miles of here are Melton Mowbray pies and / or Colston Bassett Stilton cheese. Keep in touch and please invite yourself.

Apr 23, 2020 at 3:44 PM Post #10,730 of 18,495
Ok, looks like this will happen then. We are 5 miles north of Melton Mowbray. Let’s keep in touch.

Apr 23, 2020 at 3:49 PM Post #10,731 of 18,495
Been following a thread about chc power supplies for both the dave and mscaler, apparently a nice improvement on both, so the question is, would this be true or just mind games?
I was considering until i looked at the £4.5k price tag and thought one has to draw the line at some point.

Apr 23, 2020 at 4:20 PM Post #10,732 of 18,495
The best sounding solid ferrite cores need a resonant frequency above 2GHz; so the RND is the better of the two, but it is not ideal. When the plots do not extend above 1GHz, then for a given size, look to the core that has the lowest impedance at 100MHz - that may seem counter intuitive, but it indicates a higher resonant frequency. It's 2GHz we need to attenuate, as 100MHz is almost perfectly isolated. Don't use the clip-on types, as they actually make the performance worse. Make sure the core is as close as possible to the shield (ground) of the cable too.
Thank you so much, Rob! This is very helpful. I have spotted Würth Elektornik 74270045 that fits snugly over the 7 mm 75 Ohm Silver Coax. While no values for 2 GHz nor 100 kHz are shown, the values steadily increase towards 1 GHz, so I assumed 2 GHz would be even higher, potentially fulfilling the requirement that resonant frequency could be higher than 2 GHz.

Attachments

• 74270045.pdf
    217.8 KB · Views: 0
Apr 23, 2020 at 4:36 PM Post #10,733 of 18,495
Thank you so much, Rob! This is very helpful. I have spotted Würth Elektornik 74270045 that fits snugly over the 7 mm 75 Ohm Silver Coax. While no values for 2 GHz nor 100 kHz are shown, the values steadily increase towards 1 GHz, so I assumed 2 GHz would be even higher, potentially fulfilling the requirement that resonant frequency could be higher than 2 GHz.
Try getting your ferrite cores ID same size as cable OD, i see the ones shown in jpeg have 7.2mm ID which will not give you a snug fit on 7mm OD cable.I use 8mm ID solid ferrite cores on 8mm OD 75 ohm silver coax and fit nice and snug.

Apr 23, 2020 at 4:50 PM Post #10,734 of 18,495
Try getting your ferrite cores ID same size as cable OD, i see the ones shown in jpeg have 7.2mm ID which will not give you a snug fit on 7mm OD cable.I use 8mm ID solid ferrite cores on 8mm OD 75 ohm silver coax and fit nice and snug.

Also, when manufacturing tolerances of the cables and ferrites are taken into account it is not guaranteed that say a 7mm cable will fit inside a 7mm ID ferrite (hint, they often don’t).:relaxed:

Apr 23, 2020 at 4:58 PM Post #10,735 of 18,495
Also, when manufacturing tolerances of the cables and ferrites are taken into account it is not guaranteed that say a 7mm cable will fit inside a 7mm ID ferrite (hint, they often don’t).:relaxed:
I myself can not comment on the 7mm but ferrites can be returned for full refund anyway.Other than that the easy solution would be for him to buy 8mm ferrite cores and 8mm cable that is assuming he has not already got the 7mm cable.

Apr 23, 2020 at 5:01 PM Post #10,736 of 18,495
Thank you. The manual for the ferrite states that 7.2 mm ID is good for 7 mm cables. I did not find a ferrite with 7 mm ID and rhe required value, so it looks like this is what I am stuck with.
Currently enjoying a vintage piece of British HiFi:)

Attachments

• AlphasonGarrott.jpg
    AlphasonGarrott.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 23, 2020 at 5:14 PM Post #10,737 of 18,495
I myself can not comment on the 7mm but ferrites can be returned for full refund anyway.Other than that the easy solution would be for him to buy 8mm ferrite cores and 8mm cable that is assuming he has not already got the 7mm cable.

yeah I know about being able to return stuff but when you have bought 2000 ferrites it can be a bind!

Apr 24, 2020 at 9:49 AM Post #10,739 of 18,495
I've just recently started to use my setup again.

Last year I bought a pair of Aeon Flow Closed headphones and I hated them from the day 1, the lack of bass was what annoyed me at first and I thought they were too bright for me, and I was coming from a pair of HD800S that are bass killers and are as bright as the sun.

I've started to use my setup again after a 3 or 4th month hiatus from all things audio, and starting to use them again has blown me away with how good the SQ is, and how easy it is to take great sounding audio for granted.

TL;DR

Great tunes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back