Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Feb 9, 2020 at 7:15 AM Post #10,096 of 18,489
Thanks for the link to other albums by her, including Rise which I recommended.
I am not a subscriber to tidal or any other Streaming platform. I prefer to download and own my music.I don't like the idea of renting music and having to pay monthly bills for music I want to listen to more than once.
And I also don't like the idea of having to be connected to the internet for listening to music.
I either download my music or buy cds or LPs
But the snippets are at least teasers of some other albums I want to hear.
When I played their teasers I got an offer to sign up and get a free trial from tidal.
I did not sign up because I don't know if how long the trial will run and/or if I am signing some kind of binding deal with them if I try the trial.
I don't know how tidal runs its show, but there have been quite a few online offers of free trials which are quite shady imo.
I don't like offers which seem fair at first look. But turn out to keep running unless one actively stops them.
Something some companies make very difficult to do, ie cancel "free trials" without getting bills.
Cheers CC

Feb 9, 2020 at 7:39 AM Post #10,097 of 18,489
I can't find that album but I'm trying another one, and its lovely. Here is one Roon woke me up with at 2am the other day, such a jauntyness, sherlock holmes would enjoy it.

qobuz album

Johan Halvorsen
Per Kristian Skalstad

Nothing wrong with Halvorsen,but his music often sounds as not quite as inspired as Grieg's imho.
Not unlike some Swedish composers from the same period not quite Grieg nor quite Sibelius imho.
I have that album and many others from 2L as free promos from Morten when I worked for him as photographer on a couple of other of his productions.

Anoushka Shankar's music ,or at least most of what I have heard of her so far, is in a completely different category musically.

Her repertoire sounds like an inspired mix of classical Indian music for classical Indian instruments like Sitar, tablas, Indian flute and other instruments used in traditional Indian Ragas.
But also other World Music influences mixed with a bit of Jazz improvisations. And also sometimes modern western instumentation like piano and both violin and cello mixed with the traditional Indian Asian instruments.
She also plays music composed by her famous father Ravi Shankar and at least to my ears, very fascinating compositions of her own.

Mscaled and via my big speakers it is almost like being back in India live again.
Truly inspired music imho.

Cheers CC

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2020 at 7:42 AM Post #10,098 of 18,489
Thanks for the link to other albums by her, including Rise which I recommended.
I am not a subscriber to tidal or any other Streaming platform. I prefer to download and own my music.I don't like the idea of renting music and having to pay monthly bills for music I want to listen to more than once.
And I also don't like the idea of having to be connected to the internet for listening to music.
I either download my music or buy cds or LPs
But the snippets are at least teasers of some other albums I want to hear.
When I played their teasers I got an offer to sign up and get a free trial from tidal.
I did not sign up because I don't know if how long the trial will run and/or if I am signing some kind of binding deal with them if I try the trial.
I don't know how tidal runs its show, but there have been quite a few online offers of free trials which are quite shady imo.
I don't like offers which seem fair at first look. But turn out to keep running unless one actively stops them.
Something some companies make very difficult to do, ie cancel "free trials" without getting bills.
Cheers CC

the link was for @ZappaMan, not to set you up for a rant! it's really not that hard to set a reminder in your calendar to cancel a trial subscription.

Feb 9, 2020 at 9:16 AM Post #10,101 of 18,489
The Best sound quality running Roon with Chord DAVE/MScaler

I have tried an Auralic G1 streamer and heard no improvement in sound quality when I had my Blu Mk2 which has subsequently been replaced by the Mscaler as I have ripped my CD collection to my QNAP TS-473 NAS which servers as the Roon server/core.

I just homed demo'd a Pro-ject Streambox Ultra 2 with asscociated Accu Box 2 battery power supply and connecting via the Ultra 2 actually reduced the sound quality over the direct route to the MScaler via QANP.

Reading Roon's own advice a separate streamer should be the optimum option even though it is another box in the signal path. My QNAP TS-473 has been upgraded with 12GB of Ram and runs Roon off of a dedicated Western Digital M2 SSD with all music on the SSD, and is not breaking a sweat running roon.
What I am asking has anyone with a DAVE/Msclaer running Roon heard an improvement in sound quality adding a streamer?

Feb 10, 2020 at 8:32 AM Post #10,102 of 18,489
The Best sound quality running Roon with Chord DAVE/MScaler

I have tried an Auralic G1 streamer and heard no improvement in sound quality when I had my Blu Mk2 which has subsequently been replaced by the Mscaler as I have ripped my CD collection to my QNAP TS-473 NAS which servers as the Roon server/core.

I just homed demo'd a Pro-ject Streambox Ultra 2 with asscociated Accu Box 2 battery power supply and connecting via the Ultra 2 actually reduced the sound quality over the direct route to the MScaler via QANP.

Reading Roon's own advice a separate streamer should be the optimum option even though it is another box in the signal path. My QNAP TS-473 has been upgraded with 12GB of Ram and runs Roon off of a dedicated Western Digital M2 SSD with all music on the SSD, and is not breaking a sweat running roon.
What I am asking has anyone with a DAVE/Msclaer running Roon heard an improvement in sound quality adding a streamer?

There are a few threads on the Roon Community about using a separate streamer with Chord DAC's.

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/lumin-u1-what-does-it-bring-to-the-table/42703

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/lumin-u1-any-users/40349

The Lumin U1/U1 Mini seem to be held in high regard.

Feb 10, 2020 at 5:21 PM Post #10,103 of 18,489
you can't go wrong with a low power usb battery powered roon endpoint. in my case an ipod touch with a powerful ssd imac as core. i recently wrote an extensive report as to how this provided the best listening experience for me with a portable powerbank/ipod touch/cables with total cost at £300. just scroll back some pages. exceedingly easy no fuss too. don't forget to use a certified class 2 usb cable. a battery powered source with usb galvanic isolation on HMS is near enough perfect. one more mains powered box out of the way. bit perfect delivery from roon is guaranteed.

optical is also reference but cca sounded flat to me and i didn't feel comfortable streaming optical direct from my imac core connected by ethernet. adding a usb to optical convertor didn't appeal to me either for a number of reasons. I'm always open to improvements if anyone cares to explain how.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2020 at 6:31 AM Post #10,104 of 18,489
Hi MK
Just wondering how you get the signal from your Roon Core to the iPod Roon end-point. I presume you would have to use wifi ... and if so find the wifi connection okay?
A lot of streamer/bridge providers offer wifi but recommend using a wired connection. So I am interested in your experiences which might indicate otherwise. Tks

Feb 11, 2020 at 8:05 AM Post #10,105 of 18,489
So yes i have in excess of 200Mbps internet. My imac ssd core is connected by ethernet to my router. Ipod touch is wifi and connected to a 20,000 mAh powerbank so it's switch on plug in and forget. The ipod touch only has a 1000mAh or so battery. With the powerbank connected to the ipod it's almost endless playtime on wifi 30 hours+. The trick is to switch private zone to off on the imac core and off on the ipod touch in roon and by doing this i control the ipod touch endpoint from my imac ssd core which has a large HD 27 inch screen and nvidia graphics for roon. Dim the screen brightness right down on the ipod and switch off all necessary functions and apps and you have the perfect low powered usb source on battery. The SQ is beyond anything i've experienced so far. I don't have to go anywhere near the ipod at all.

At the end of a marathon listening session i just turn off the ipod and charge the energizer powerbank by plugging it into an anker power port 5 charger and forget it. Next time it's ready at 100% charge for listening again. Minimum effort and following Rob's advice for low powered usb battery sources. Unless i find a better solution for £260 it's a no brainer. Time for some country and western. The ipod touch is an iphone with cellular omitted.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2020 at 8:11 AM Post #10,106 of 18,489
ipod touch being used by another roon member as a roon endpoint. (click for larger image). Different implementation to mine. I'm using wifi for complete electrical isolation.

1581426661302.png

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2020 at 4:29 PM Post #10,107 of 18,489
ipod touch being used by another roon member as a roon endpoint. (click for larger image). Different implementation to mine. I'm using wifi for complete electrical isolation.

1581426661302.png
Hugo2 has 2GO... you have MGo !

Feb 11, 2020 at 6:07 PM Post #10,108 of 18,489
Anyone is here get the hugo m scaler to add onto their DAVE and felt that the differences weren't as great as some others have mentioned?

Feb 11, 2020 at 11:21 PM Post #10,109 of 18,489
Anyone is here get the hugo m scaler to add onto their DAVE and felt that the differences weren't as great as some others have mentioned?

No, for me it was a big difference from the start. Interestingly I had a friend over a couple of days ago to help me audition a new bit of kit and we started just with Dave with the bit of kit. We both still got that oh wow moment when we added back the MScaler.

Feb 12, 2020 at 3:51 AM Post #10,110 of 18,489

Differences are very easy to hear. No going back.

Users who are viewing this thread

• ecwl
Back