Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Feb 3, 2020 at 3:29 PM Post #10,051 of 18,495
Well my M Scaler is off to be sold. I have decided to pursue HQPlayer and get rid of the mscaler induced rfi. I enjoyed it for sure and it is a wonderfully made piece and introduced the community to the advantages of upscaling with high tap filters. I've just found that HQP meets those needs for me and without the induced rfi provides a better sound (to my ears).

I will be staying with my Chord dacs as I've found nothing better in my price range. I am also evaluating the DRC-SX from Audiowize as a means to get HQP into the Chord DX dacs. It could provide an effective means for Chord dac owners to test their mscaler setups using other filter/upscaling programs without the rfi.

I may look at the Antipodes.

Prog On!

If HQPlaya does the job for you, cool, and you should still get a decent price for your MScaler on the second hand market.

That being said, if you think the mscaler introduces too much RFI into your music, then you're going to love the noisy RFI inducing computer/laptop that you may replace it with. Fans are a great source of interference.

Good luck with your new purchase.

Feb 3, 2020 at 5:07 PM Post #10,052 of 18,495
If HQPlaya does the job for you, cool, and you should still get a decent price for your MScaler on the second hand market.

That being said, if you think the mscaler introduces too much RFI into your music, then you're going to love the noisy RFI inducing computer/laptop that you may replace it with. Fans are a great source of interference.

Good luck with your new purchase.

Network streamers are always a good choice. Either stream, or have a NAS hooked up with downloaded music.

Feb 3, 2020 at 5:35 PM Post #10,053 of 18,495
I’ll still be hanging around here as there is lots to be learned.

Feb 3, 2020 at 5:47 PM Post #10,054 of 18,495
Network streamers are always a good choice. Either stream, or have a NAS hooked up with downloaded music.

Sure, he could use a streamer or nas, thats why I said "may replace".

Personally, I use a fanless nuc, with wifi and bt disabled and I stream directly into my mscaler via usb and my schit sounds good.

However, I'm not sure how good a nas would sound if using traditional hard drives, as the 15'000 - 4200rpm platter speeds may give off some type of interference. But chances are, since I just made that schit up, a nas would be ok, so long as it's only used in a faraday cage, or with ssd's.

Since I'm here, anyone tried one of those Biscolata Choco Roll's ? It's like those tall thin wafer tubes filled with chocolate in the middle of a table in a restaurant. I can't believe it's priced at 50 pence. I can get a whole tin of the normal choc wafer tubes at aldi's for 75p.

Feb 3, 2020 at 5:50 PM Post #10,055 of 18,495
I tried HQPlayer a few times as I used to be quite active on the Audiophile Style forums. I remember the original upsampling sounding worse than the Mojo to start with. I mentioned it on the forum. And then the software got upgraded. But it was still clearly inferior to DAVE to my ears. On the other hand, I haven’t tried its latest version.
My take is that the programmer for HQplayer actually has a very different philosophy than Rob Watts. I think HQPlayer doesn’t believe there is an optimal upsampling filter but does believe that a more computationally intense filter and noise shaper is generally better. However, because the software is limited by the GPU and CPU and the memory bandwidrh of the user, my strong suspicion is that the filters in HQPlayer is still very different than the one Rob Watts uses. As a result, I think the HQPlayer upsampling while it might approximate the DAVE filter, it is still an approximation, and hence probably deviates from the sinc filter significantly from DAVE and M-Scaler. Although the HQPlayer programmer insists multiple times that it isn’t true, he also wouldn’t reveal the algorithm he uses.
That said, I think if people prefer HQPlayer upsampling, and/or noise shaping, I’d say good for them. but I wouldn’t equate HQPlayer to M-Scaler as they are probably quite different.
As for the RFI, since many users don’t have the same experience, I think it is equally legitimate to say that it is computer audio induced RFI rather than M-Scaler induced RFI. Ultimately, it comes down to system synergy. I have to admit I would switch my computer audio setup in your shoes (or even just switch to Toslink into M-Scaler). But selling the M-Scaler would save lots of money.

I stopped using HQPlayer once I realised that without any filtering/upsampling, low level signals were missing from its output. Like a little bell in the distance, some brushing of drums etc.

Feb 3, 2020 at 5:58 PM Post #10,056 of 18,495
Not
I stopped using HQPlayer once I realised that without any filtering/upsampling, low level signals were missing from its output. Like a little bell in the distance, some brushing of drums etc.
Not sure I get that. Maybe my filtering is turned off. Lol

Feb 3, 2020 at 6:01 PM Post #10,057 of 18,495
Where did the “subscribed threads” button go when viewing on a phone?

Feb 3, 2020 at 6:06 PM Post #10,058 of 18,495
Feb 3, 2020 at 6:10 PM Post #10,059 of 18,495
Feb 3, 2020 at 10:00 PM Post #10,061 of 18,495
Algorithm behind the M-Scaler magic is the very same as used in Rob's DACs. So I would sell mine only if I found a better DAC than Chord (this did not happened so far). I have not heard really expensive 20K+ things like dCS and MSB, but everything else sounds to me not as good as Chord. Honestly, when you get out of 1K price range nothing sounds bad. There are a lot of good DACs out there, some are close, some even sound more enjoying at first. But at the end I return to Chord and nothing sounds with that level of realism. I assume the same would be true with upscaling algorithms. Acceptable? Sure. Close to M Scaler? Maybe. Equal level? No.

Feb 5, 2020 at 2:55 AM Post #10,064 of 18,495
I can’t wait to find the HQPlayer thread and tell everyone about how my mScaler kicks so much ass.
No matter how good HQPlayer might be, I could never, EVER imagine removing HMS from my system now. It’s profoundly changed how I enjoy digital music, and I just wouldn’t be without it now.
And hey! It’s only money, right!? lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back