Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jun 28, 2019 at 2:47 AM Post #7,307 of 18,533
The more I live with it the more I am loving the TT2 HMS combo. I am not thinking about anything else other than the music when I am playing it which is the ultimate review for me for choosing the right gear.

Also a question for Rob if OK. Excuse the pun but how many watts do the HMS and TT2 typically draw and also how many watts does the TT2 draw just while being used only as a dac rather than if it is used as headphone amp or amp (am assuming as a dac only it might be using less?)

I only have my TT2 connected as a DAC at the moment but when first switched on it consumes more than 30w. When the super caps are fully charged my TT2 consumes about 15w when connected as a DAC. Note that when TT2 is connected as a DAC to a preamp or active speakers (both high resistance loads) then the power supplied to the pre amp or active speakers by the TT2 is negligible. When amplifiers, including the TT2, are driving a relatively low resistance load such as speakers direct or power hungry headphones then the power consumption of most amplifiers will rise when the power supplied to the speakers or headphones is increased (ie volume is increased). I say mostly because true Class A amplifiers draw more or less as the same power in idle as they do when driving speakers (some even draw less power at higher volumes).

I have measured the power drawn by my Mscaler. From memory the power consumed was in the order of 8 to 14 watts depending on whether the FPGA was active or not.

Jun 28, 2019 at 5:39 AM Post #7,309 of 18,533
. Ifi dc purifier comes with two adaptors for both input and output end so the combination fits in most of the devices and obviously one cable fits in m scaler too. It is very very light so no question of exerting any pressure on socket.

Yeah, I think it's an idea.

We have not been told that the TT2 has RFI filtering on the power port in. Or if we were, I missed it. (I assume there is RFI filtering on the data line in, as with Hugo 2.) That's assuming that the TT2 can benefit from clean power delivery, which would make sense if it does.

We are told that the power adaptor with the TT2 (and M-Scaler) is RFI filtered, or something similar. However the cable that runs from the power brick to the TT2/M-Scaler is susceptible to interference. It will induce noise just the same as an interconnect or unshielded speaker cable. Thus filtering the power in on the TT2/M-Scaler could/should yield results, as you said.

I think it was a good find.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2019 at 8:43 AM Post #7,310 of 18,533
The more I live with it the more I am loving the TT2 HMS combo. I am not thinking about anything else other than the music when I am playing it which is the ultimate review for me for choosing the right gear.

Also a question for Rob if OK. Excuse the pun but how many watts do the HMS and TT2 typically draw and also how many watts does the TT2 draw just while being used only as a dac rather than if it is used as headphone amp or amp (am assuming as a dac only it might be using less?)

TT2 - typically as a DAC is 13W. Hugo M scaler is 12W when working.

Jun 28, 2019 at 5:08 PM Post #7,313 of 18,533
For any uk members thinking of going to the North West Audio Show at Cranage Hall this weekend I will be showing off Dave, TT2, Blu2 and Hugo Mscaler into ATC active 40 speakers. Find me at hotel room 245 - show room 22.

Jun 29, 2019 at 9:33 AM Post #7,314 of 18,533
Is the slight buzz/tingling feeling normal on the mscaler surface? Is it the same with TT2? @Rob Watts

Many thanks MK.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2019 at 10:45 AM Post #7,315 of 18,533
Yes it is, it's due to leakage from the PSU - it's entirely safe and is not a problem. But you can remove it by grounding either one of the BNC inputs ground, or the single BNC output ground. TT2 is the same too.

Jun 29, 2019 at 1:28 PM Post #7,316 of 18,533
I just bought the magic pair : TT2 + Mscaler, and I have a big question for which I didn't find a answer here...

There are some debates about USB input into Mscaler vs optical, but...
- is there a difference in max sample rate input between USB and Sp/Dif (in the Hugo 2 manual, optical input is max 192 kHz vs 768 kHz for USB, nothing stated in Mscaler manual..) ?
- if there is a difference, does it matter the way the Mscaler works ? Does it give higher output rates when feeded by USB ?

Answers and explanations would be welcome :)

Jun 29, 2019 at 1:33 PM Post #7,317 of 18,533
I just bought the magic pair : TT2 + Mscaler, and I have a big question for which I didn't find a answer here...

There are some debates about USB input into Mscaler vs optical, but...
- is there a difference in max sample rate input between USB and Sp/Dif (in the Hugo 2 manual, optical input is max 192 kHz vs 768 kHz for USB, nothing stated in Mscaler manual..) ?
- if there is a difference, does it matter the way the Mscaler works ? Does it give higher output rates when feeded by USB ?

Answers and explanations would be welcome :)

The SPIDIF protocol does not support above 192kHz at all. With the M Scaler though, you can go in with SPIDIF and then it will upscale. I still prefer USB though.

Jun 29, 2019 at 1:37 PM Post #7,318 of 18,533
The SPIDIF protocol does not support above 192kHz at all. With the M Scaler though, you can go in with SPIDIF and then it will upscale. I still prefer USB though.
Ok, then remains my second question : the way the Mscaler works, does it make a difference in the final sample rate it sends to the TT2 ? If yes, it would mean : for files above 192 kHz, it is better to use USB...

Jun 29, 2019 at 1:41 PM Post #7,319 of 18,533
Ok, then remains my second question : the way the Mscaler works, does it make a difference in the final sample rate it sends to the TT2 ? If yes, it would mean : for files above 192 kHz, it is better to use USB...

Well the final sample rate it sends out will always either be 705kHz or 768kHz so long as you feed it with at least a 44,1kHz track. There is not much difference between 705 and 768 even though 768 is technically higher. With either, you're getting to hear something already well above most mere mortals who don't have the M Scaler :)

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2019 at 1:46 PM Post #7,320 of 18,533
All inputs to m scaler are treated same inside. Only thing usb input can handle upto 768khz and optical is limited to 192khz. Say if you feed 48khz through usb and then through optical you would get identical result by m scaler while upscaling to full 768khz. Usb input is useful if you want to feed high resolution dsd128,dsd256 or dsd512 for dsd and 384khz or 768khz to m scaler. Though 768khz won't get any upscaling treatment inside mscaler ( if i am correct )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back