Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Feb 14, 2019 at 12:54 AM Post #5,581 of 18,633
They aren't metal...Again, watch the video. If you did, you have zero comprehension skills.

Then why does Chord (and all other makers in the entire world) put some rubber feet on at all? Surely they don't all do nothing? I guess you've never heard of microphonics.
Please try and be more tactful with your insults.

Feb 14, 2019 at 12:57 AM Post #5,582 of 18,633
Please try and be more tactful with your insults.

Yeah, well it's sorta frustrating arguing about the subject of a video to someone who didn't even watch it yet tries to have an educated opinion about it, based on not watching it. Does that actually make sense to you?

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2019 at 1:45 AM Post #5,583 of 18,633
Yeah, well it's sorta frustrating arguing about the subject of a video to someone who didn't even watch it yet tries to have an educated opinion about it, based on not watching it. Does that actually make sense to you?

I didn’t watch it solely because it makes no sense. Had it been a record player, I can see the point, trying to minimise vibration incase the needle jumps, but digital music and hms & tt2 ? nope, I see absolutely no sense.

Your video only makes sense if the person watching it believes that the xfiles is a real fbi ufo documentary.

Feb 14, 2019 at 1:58 AM Post #5,584 of 18,633
I didn’t watch it solely because it makes no sense. Had it been a record player, I can see the point, trying to minimise vibration incase the needle jumps, but digital music and hms & tt2 ? nope, I see absolutely no sense.

Your video only makes sense if the person watching it believes that the xfiles is a real fbi ufo documentary.

This has nothing to do with the XFiles. It's science, and measurable. Capacitors have microphonic tendencies, like tubes, but to a much lessor extent, but it's there nevertheless. Vibrations over time can also potentially cause micro solder connections to crack or otherwise fail, threaded fasteners like the rear XLR jacks, etc., to loosen. And vibrations could cause audible mechanical rattling or buzzing if there is enough of it. Heck, if I crank up my subwoofer enough, I bet I can get the entire Chord stack to eventually move across the table top.

In my setup, with a subwoofer nearby and the speakers too, I just don't see any downside at all to the IsoBlocks. You are free to keep thinking it's a joke though, a lot of people laugh at what they don’t understand.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2019 at 2:42 AM Post #5,585 of 18,633
This has nothing to do with the XFiles. It's science, and measurable. Capacitors have microphonic tendencies, like tubes, but to a much lessor extent, but it's there nevertheless. Vibrations over time can also potentially cause micro solder connections to crack or otherwise fail, threaded fasteners like the rear XLR jacks, etc., to loosen. And vibrations could cause audible mechanical rattling or buzzing if there is enough of it. Heck, if I crank up my subwoofer enough, I bet I can get the entire Chord stack to eventually move across the table top.

In my setup, with a subwoofer nearby and the speakers too, I just don't see any downside at all to the IsoBlocks. You are free to keep thinking it's a joke though, a lot of people laugh at what they don’t understand.

They must also do it for cars, as I’m forever seeing cars sitting on bricks with the wheels removed, is that also to reduce vibrations ?

I only laugh at what is obviously stupid, and which I do understand, but I don’t at the same time.

I do understand that it’s snake oil and, I don’t understand how it will make any difference to hms & tt2.

Game over, goto sleep but before you do, check that you have got hms and tt2’s plug up on stilts also, if you haven’t it totally nullifies your attempt at building a sky scraper.

Edit.

I’m taking the piss out of the blocks, not you, so less personal insults please.

I even liked your post, can we be buddies now ?

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2019 at 3:10 AM Post #5,586 of 18,633
Then why does Chord (and all other makers in the entire world) put some rubber feet on at all? Surely they don't all do nothing? I guess you've never heard of microphonics.
I am not going to buy into the argument about what works and what is snake oil. But I would like to comment on this. Manufacturers of all types of equipment (not only hifi) add rubber feet to stop the device slipping off the table, stop the device from scratching your expensive polished wooden table when it moves, provide a little flexibility on uneven surfaces, plus any number of other reasons. Don't know about Chord, but in general I kinda doubt it has much to do with "microphonics".

Feb 14, 2019 at 3:40 AM Post #5,587 of 18,633

Quite a few electronic components are microphonic, especially timing crystals, valves and capacitors. Plus any conductor (wires / circuit boards) vibrating in a magnetic field will modulate current in that conductor. It’s a very good idea to isolate electronic components from vibration and dampen the resonant frequency of their cases. To reduce vibration you can couple them with rigid connectors to a more massive object that takes more energy to vibrate or isolate them say with rubber to reduce the vibration transmitted to them from what they are sitting on.

Feb 14, 2019 at 3:58 AM Post #5,588 of 18,633
I was a big sceptic regarding the supplied SMPS in the beginning. However, I have to admit that the supplied SMPS is pretty decent. There is no need for going after different power supplies and for risking warranty, imo. You can see from my signature below that I have some experience with some decent LPS (which I use for powering USB reclockers). If you are looking for tuning potential, better look elsewhere. In my case, #1 tuning potential was isolation from negative influence from mains power (with isolation transformers and a DC filter), followed by USB and BNC connections.

I want to add that after some initial minor problems with the sound of HMS in my home environment, I am now extremely excited by what DAVE + HMS is capable of. Not only in terms of resolution and technical excellence, but also in terms of analog and "live" feeling, even with mediocre recordings.

I agree with everything you say, including that the smps supplied with M Scaler is pretty decent - Rob would not have designed the M Scaler with anything less. But this is a community packed with people who want to do everything they reasonably and affordably can to maximise the performance of their music system, and power supplies are one of the things that can make a significant difference (for the better as well as for the worse). There are undoubtedly many out there (including highly competent and experienced audiophiles) who have already tried potentially better power supplies with their M Scaler, but who cannot publicly share the lessons they have learned because of this warranty issue.

Feb 14, 2019 at 4:05 AM Post #5,589 of 18,633
Quite a few electronic components are microphonic, especially timing crystals, valves and capacitors. Plus any conductor (wires / circuit boards) vibrating in a magnetic field will modulate current in that conductor. It’s a very good idea to isolate electronic components from vibration and dampen the resonant frequency of their cases. To reduce vibration you can couple them with rigid connectors to a more massive object that takes more energy to vibrate or isolate them say with rubber to reduce the vibration transmitted to them from what they are sitting on.

I know, but its not like they need it. It’s probably in the same category as electromigration, it happens, but its highly unlikely we will notice it and, if we do notice it, it will be years and years later. Decades later.

I dont see the need to use them but if others do, then carry on.

Feb 14, 2019 at 4:38 AM Post #5,590 of 18,633
I agree with everything you say, including that the smps supplied with M Scaler is pretty decent - Rob would not have designed the M Scaler with anything less. But this is a community packed with people who want to do everything they reasonably and affordably can to maximise the performance of their music system, and power supplies are one of the things that can make a significant difference (for the better as well as for the worse). There are undoubtedly many out there (including highly competent and experienced audiophiles) who have already tried potentially better power supplies with their M Scaler, but who cannot publicly share the lessons they have learned because of this warranty issue.

What I understood from @Rob Watts posts is that the use of a LPS with the M-Scaler instead of the SMPS does not void the warranty per-se.
The caveat is that, if an inappropriate power supply is used and the unit fails, Chord will be easily able to detect the nature of the failure based on the state of the HMS protection fuse. They would correlate the fuse failure with a >15V voltage spike which in turn would mean that a custom PS has been used instead of the SMPS which comes with the HMS (which I assume is designed so that it cannot produce / let pass overloads on the HMS).

So, if a LPS has been carefully chosen to match the HMS power needs (especially avoiding voltage above 15V), or stay conservatively below them (e.g. taking as a reference the Poweradd pilot pro 2 battery pack set to 12V Rob is using himself) there should be no problem in using the LPS and sharing experience with other folks on a public forum :)

Am I missing something?

Feb 14, 2019 at 5:39 AM Post #5,591 of 18,633
My dear amberlamps...
http://www.symposiumusa.com/ultra.html
20190210_093359.jpg

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu_Tack

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2019 at 7:21 AM Post #5,593 of 18,633
Did it improve sq?

No, you need the blutack ultimate version to be able to hear no difference whatsover.

Blutack only works on HMS, on TT2 you need to use KY Jelly, as somebodies getting fu,.. robbed.

Aslong as they notice a difference, that is all that matters at the end of the day.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2019 at 10:23 AM Post #5,595 of 18,633
I see Hugo m scaler + tt2/Dave combo to start a new trend of recording reel to reel tapes and giving to those who are having reel to reel player.

I was reading on some website that I can’t remember, that reel to reel is making a come back. I think that will be for the hardcore audiophile, those who have a dedicated listening room.

Me, I just have a spare bedroom. :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back