Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jan 17, 2019 at 2:18 PM Post #5,086 of 18,495
anyone know what speed the USB input is on HMS?

Easy, 480mbps max minus overheads.

It can’t be the first usb as that has a max theoretical rate of 12 megabits per second max.

Take some off for overheads and divide whats left by 8 and you get roughly 1 or less, megabytes per second transfer rate. Which is not enough to stream hires audio.

It has to either be usb 2.0 or higher, but, usb 3 and 3.1 uses blue and red ports, usb 2.0 uses black which mscaler and TT2 have.

I’d put money on it being usb 2.0, which has a max theoretical rate of 480mbps and which is ample for hires audio.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2019 at 3:10 PM Post #5,087 of 18,495
I have been using HMS with Dave for over two months now. Several weeks ago I added a Torus Power TOT isolation transformer. The addition made backgrounds blacker, lows lower & tighter, highs more realistic & clear especially cymbals. I have since tried different reasonably priced coax cables and that did not make a significant difference from the stock cables. Today I received my Wave Stream 1m pair. Using these cables gave a boost to my system of the order that adding the Torus gave, instantly noticable. For those who haven't tried either and are looking to give their system a little something more, I recommend both, starting with an isolation transformer.

I have the same cables, they are good and you can hear the change from the second you push play.

I would love to discuss this further but, the hills have eyes and in this case ears also.

Beware, as suicide can actually be a murder. I will say no more.

RFI

:)

Jan 17, 2019 at 4:18 PM Post #5,089 of 18,495
I thought I would treat my Mscaler.
20190117_210804.jpg

Jan 17, 2019 at 4:25 PM Post #5,090 of 18,495
Any of you guys switch out the power cables for higher end ones and use a power conditioner such as torus TOT max? Or is this overkill?

I think power tweaks makes a noticeable difference. I use a Audioquest Niagara 1000. Torus is well reviewed but many higher end power recommendations I've seen lean towards Isotek (evo3 Sigma).

Jan 18, 2019 at 2:17 AM Post #5,093 of 18,495
[QUOTE="FWIW all my cables are Oyaide - power, BNC, USB. All in all since using DAVE, it has truly sent me (and my wallet) on a journey, a quest, to optimize my system because I am finding DAVE reflects, amplifies, embraces every upstream tweak. I am invested in the Roon ecosystem at this point and using a laptop as core and Aries as network endpoint, no complaints but my next curiosity is how a dedicated music server can take me further. I have a Roon Nucleus incoming for now, and if not satisfied will opt for Innuos or Antipodes.[/QUOTE]

Before shelling out serious coin on a dedicated server, why not try a NUC7/Audiolinux instead.
It's not plug 'n play but the effort is worthwhile and sound quality on par with the servers you mentioned for a fraction of the price.

Checkout the link on Audiophilestyle (previously Computer Audiophile)

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/54933-audiolinux-and-nuc-troubleshooting-and-tuning/

Jan 18, 2019 at 9:37 AM Post #5,094 of 18,495
So if I’m driving a m Scaler and TT2 in the USA/120 will the mini be fine vs max? Or at that point for an extra 500 do I give myself some room to grow into speakers and a full size amp?

The mini is not so mini. It has 6 outlets and weighs 25 lbs. If you need more outlets (or more than 7 amps) then go with max.

Jan 18, 2019 at 1:00 PM Post #5,097 of 18,495
I use both a TOT AVR for headphones and a 16 Amp AVR2 for a Speaker System both with Dave Mscaler.
Both Torus units are Stellar products, I would advise getting as much headroom as you can especially for a speaker system you need the extra power in reserve for dynamics and upgrade possibilities, although the power output is underestimated....!
Also consider AVR for the voltage control, very handy for voltage fluctuations and valve amps.
They have a very good customer service so email them proir to purchase just to double check your requirements.

Oh and very easy and cheap to change the face plate for example silver to black, they are similar but have more freatures than the Bryston BIT...so resale is easy...

Jan 18, 2019 at 2:14 PM Post #5,098 of 18,495
Before shelling out serious coin on a dedicated server, why not try a NUC7/Audiolinux instead.
It's not plug 'n play but the effort is worthwhile and sound quality on par with the servers you mentioned for a fraction of the price.

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/54933-audiolinux-and-nuc-troubleshooting-and-tuning/

What about an Allo DigiOne Signature? : https://volumio.org/product/allo-digione-player-signature/

I have just bought one and my first impressions are really positive:

I have just installed a new digital transport - Allo DigiOne Signature - to play Tidal etc. to my M Scaler wirelessly from my mobile (via Bubble upnp app) and other devices. It is powered by a linear power supply and a battery one is comming soon. My first impressions are extremely positive. The DigiOne Signature appears to be a really good transport! Has anyone tried a DigiOne transport with his M Scaler? Any tips (software, settings...) for the best SQ possible?

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2019 at 4:47 PM Post #5,099 of 18,495

I do see people raving about AL/NUC combo but I am just looking for plug and play convenience. I almost went w/ a sonicTransporter but got curious about Nucleus so going to try that for now.

Jan 18, 2019 at 7:15 PM Post #5,100 of 18,495
I placed an order for a black M Scaler on 12/03/18 at my authorized dealer in the United States for which I paid in full. As of today, I am still waiting for a shipping confirmation. Can anyone offer their thoughts on the availability of M Scalers at the moment. Is there an estimated amount of time that is common for them to become available after ordering? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back