Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Dec 27, 2018 at 12:20 AM Post #4,666 of 18,478
with the human voice and acoustic instruments what did you notice first?

Dec 27, 2018 at 12:43 AM Post #4,667 of 18,478
with the human voice and acoustic instruments what did you notice first?
Increased realism in all aspects I can think of. Everything that matters to me in sound reproduction is improved with M Scaler.

All acoustic instruments whose sound signature I am familar with live,sound VERY OBVIOUSLY more real and closer to how they sound live via M Scaler than without M Scaler, with good recordings. And exactly the same applies to the human voice.

And the acoustic venue and space where the music was performed and recorded is better defined with clearer longer decay into silence where it has been recorded and captured in a natural realistic way.
Cheers Controversial Christer

Dec 27, 2018 at 1:01 AM Post #4,668 of 18,478
i noticed much longer decay or trailing off into silence with female vocals vibrato as it diminishes off into emptiness and silence. with passthru it was just a sudden halt so not realistic at all as you have noticed. that longer decay into silence only seems to happen with full mscaling. interesting. i wonder if anyone can explain this from a technical perspective ie what is the mscaler actually doing here?

Dec 27, 2018 at 1:16 AM Post #4,670 of 18,478
to be able to immediately identify the effect of 1M taps and every graduation up to 1M taps.

Dec 27, 2018 at 1:31 AM Post #4,673 of 18,478
i noticed much longer decay or trailing off into silence with female vocals vibrato as it diminishes off into emptiness and silence. with passthru it was just a sudden halt so not realistic at all as you have noticed. that longer decay into silence only seems to happen with full mscaling. interesting. i wonder if anyone can explain this from a technical perspective ie what is the mscaler actually doing here?

It's the most bizarre aspect of the M scaler. Perception of reverb, depth and small detail resolution is about how accurate small signal are reproduced in terms of amplitude (small signal amplitude linearity); so make sure a 90 dB signal is actually at -90.000 dB (with bizarrely lots of 0's) - something conventional DAC's are poor at doing. But I have never heard increasing tap length (with same filter architecture so same amplitude linearity) changing the perception of reverb or depth - until the M scaler. My only observation is the M scaler process' 1.438 seconds of data; and the RT60 for concert halls is 1 to 2 seconds. So this means the M scaler process data for about the same time period as the reverb time period. So perhaps this is something to do with this; but I am not convinced this is the explanation. I have heard a test recording of 768 kHz - and this too had the ability to hear reverb properly, exactly like an M scaler.

By hearing reverb properly, you can hear where the walls are, with distinct reverb coming from differing directions; without the M scaler, reverb just sounds like a muddle. Being able to perceive reverb correctly allows one to perceive depth correctly too.

This is a genuine puzzle for me, and more work is needed to understand fully what is going on.

I am wondering what is the use case for a pass-through mode, seems strange to me since the scaling is main attraction..

People want to be able to hear the M scaler on and off quickly to do AB tests, and this allows that. It's not the best way to appreciate the benefits of M scaling, but it's good for shows and demoes.

Dec 27, 2018 at 1:48 AM Post #4,674 of 18,478
Many thanks Rob and wishing you a great new year ahead. this effect that i clearly notice on female vocal vibrato decay is really beautiful. i look forward to finding out the exact mechanism behind it!!!:slight_smile:

Dec 27, 2018 at 1:57 AM Post #4,675 of 18,478
It's the most bizarre aspect of the M scaler. Perception of reverb, depth and small detail resolution is about how accurate small signal are reproduced in terms of amplitude (small signal amplitude linearity); so make sure a 90 dB signal is actually at -90.000 dB (with bizarrely lots of 0's) - something conventional DAC's are poor at doing. But I have never heard increasing tap length (with same filter architecture so same amplitude linearity) changing the perception of reverb or depth - until the M scaler. My only observation is the M scaler process' 1.438 seconds of data; and the RT60 for concert halls is 1 to 2 seconds. So this means the M scaler process data for about the same time period as the reverb time period. So perhaps this is something to do with this; but I am not convinced this is the explanation. I have heard a test recording of 768 kHz - and this too had the ability to hear reverb properly, exactly like an M scaler.

By hearing reverb properly, you can hear where the walls are, with distinct reverb coming from differing directions; without the M scaler, reverb just sounds like a muddle. Being able to perceive reverb correctly allows one to perceive depth correctly too.

This is a genuine puzzle for me, and more work is needed to understand fully what is going on.

People want to be able to hear the M scaler on and off quickly to do AB tests, and this allows that. It's not the best way to appreciate the benefits of M scaling, but it's good for shows and demoes.

I tell ya, over the last few days, after eating turkey, it makes me tired and I stick on my headphones and eventually drift off to music that sounds like it’s right next to me.

Rob, I don’t say this lightly, but my new chord kit is the best upgrade I think I have ever made. That includes cars, computers, TV’s, everything. I really can’t say that anything that I have bought has been as good as HMS & TT2. With the later it, the mscaler is a dream.

I’m not even joking, I went back to using my hugo 2 to compare the difference and although it’s very good, I didn’t want to listen to that, only the hms & tt2 combo. I even bought an extension cable for my 3.5mm iem’s, I can listen to the combo on my bed with my iems. Mojo/poly and H2 have been made redundant overnight.

Now that xmas is over Rob, you wanna buy my H2, only £1500. :) ***special price for you***

Hope you and the chord bunch had a good xmas.

Edit.

I was wondering, when using your mscaler, if you come up with new changes to it’s software, will the mscaler benefit from possible firmware updates ?

I ask that as the MScaler isn’t a dac with a few years life span and then gets upgraded for another and another. Can the mscaler be reprogrammed via it’s usb port if you decided to make some changes to it’s firmware ?

I think if it’s possible to update it, that sort of thing would be gladly welcomed by the community.

Soooo, when’s that first update coming out ?

Tomorrow’s friday :)

Are we there yet, are we there yet, are we ther,,,,,.....

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2018 at 6:36 AM Post #4,676 of 18,478
Hi all,

Can I just check some colour combos on the HMS display for optimal resolution in respect of a dual BNC output configuration into a Dave, with Toslink as input source into the HMS.

1) For VIDEO I have NO COLOUR (= video filter off)
2) For INPUT I have BLUE or GREEN (my two optical connections)
3) For OP SR I have WHITE (maximum/optimal sample rate for dual BNC)
4) For DX OP the HMS returns to red, whatever I select

It is 4) that I am unclear about. I can't find too much guidance in the product manual.

Thanks in advance.

Dec 27, 2018 at 9:12 AM Post #4,678 of 18,478
Hi all,

Can I just check some colour combos on the HMS display for optimal resolution in respect of a dual BNC output configuration into a Dave, with Toslink as input source into the HMS.

1) For VIDEO I have NO COLOUR (= video filter off)
2) For INPUT I have BLUE or GREEN (my two optical connections)
3) For OP SR I have WHITE (maximum/optimal sample rate for dual BNC)
4) For DX OP the HMS returns to red, whatever I select

It is 4) that I am unclear about. I can't find too much guidance in the product manual.

Yes, among other HMS features, the grade-C manual does NOT describe what the DX OP orb-button does, which is kinda simple:
The orb-button's color lets you know the sample rate of the incoming file.
So, like with most of Chord's digital toys, it's useful to remember our acronymical rainbow friend: ROY G. BIV

ROY G. BIV = Red Orange Yellow Green Blue Indigo Violet
or these sample rates:
44.1kHz (red)
48kHz (orange)
88.2kHz (yellow)
96kHz (green)
176.4kHz (blue)
192kHz (indigo)
all sample rates above??? (violet)

Dave, who enjoys keeping the first two orb-buttons for video and input on automatic in order to have brighter colors than black and while

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2018 at 10:44 AM Post #4,680 of 18,478
How do you activate the pass-thru mode? Is it on the remote? Didn't find this in the manual?
Cycle through by pressing the third button. Red is passthrough (1 tap) white is 1 million taps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back