Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Dec 26, 2018 at 6:38 PM Post #4,652 of 18,478
Using Roon with HMS -DAVE. The DXOP light is a constant red.
Manual says refer to "partnering in product manual"

Whose product ? Roon's? So dumb question, is HMS in pass-thru mode due to Roon handshake issue?

thanks
Mike
It’s currently indicating the sample rate that mscaler is receiving - so it’s 44khz when it’s red.

Dec 26, 2018 at 7:35 PM Post #4,655 of 18,478
thanks.... BTW ZappaMan - two songs; "Put a Motor In Yourself and "Waka Jawaka" sounds unbelievable through HMS.
The former because it rounds out the synclavier's transients and the latter lessens the horns harshness...
I’ll check them both out, been gravitating towards - The grand wazoo - lately. The jazz/funk does it for me.
Black napkins also has fantastic sound stage and panning drum rolls.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2018 at 8:05 PM Post #4,656 of 18,478
red indicates incoming SR 44.1kHz

Dec 26, 2018 at 9:23 PM Post #4,657 of 18,478
I’ll check them both out, been gravitating towards - The grand wazoo - lately. The jazz/funk does it for me.
Black napkins also has fantastic sound stage and panning drum rolls.

Speaking of fz jazz/funk, Ocean Is The Ultimate Solution .. The HMS revealed additional Patrick O'hearn's bass lines I had never heard before..

Dec 26, 2018 at 10:21 PM Post #4,659 of 18,478
ATC make both passive and active speakers. This is how they describe the advantages of active speakers:

“The performance benefits of active over passive loudspeakers is substantial. Even a system, which incorporates the best available stand-alone power amplifier, will never achieve the performance of a similar active system. There are very good engineering reasons why this is true and the following brief will introduce some of the issues.
1. The magnitude of the frequency response of both active and passive loudspeakers can be controlled, with good design, to be within 1dB of one another. However, the phase component of the frequency response will always be better in an active system. The active filters produce better filter roll-off characteristics at crossover. Combine this with the inclusion of a variable all-pass filter at each crossover point to correct the phase response of the drive units through the crossover regions and the result is a loudspeaker with much better group delay characteristics. The benefit to the listener will be improved polar response and therefore radiated power response. Such an active loudspeaker will, therefore, have a large stable sound field with stable imaging and source location not possible with a passive loudspeaker.
2. A passive crossover will only operate correctly into the load impedance of a particular loudspeaker drive unit. However, the impedance of a loudspeaker drive unit will change with the amount of power input.This is because loudspeakers are very inefficient and most of the input power is dissipated as heat in the voice coil. As a result the temperature of the voice coil will rise and, because copper has a positive temperature coefficient of resistance, the impedance of the loudspeaker drive unit will rise.The result will be frequency response errors as the filters move from their designed response with increased input power. This effect does not occur in active loudspeakers where the filter response is maintained independent of input power to the loudspeaker.
3. Because the amplifiers in an active loudspeaker system are only required to operate over reduced frequency bands the intermodulation distortion products present in a passive system will be dramatically reduced, by typically 20dB, in an active system
4. In an active system the absence of a passive crossover and long cable runs together with a known amplifier damping factor prevents the modification of the loudspeaker drive unit “Q” ensuring better controlled low frequency performance.
5. For a given amount of amplifier power an active loud- speaker can be expected to produce approximately 6dB more level than the equivalent passive system. Furthermore, powers may be more optimally specified in an active system. A tweeter, for example, requires much less power than a woofer to produce a balanced system performance.”

Source:http://atcforums.co.uk/pdf/ATC CORP BROCHURE.pdf

Interesting statements,but imho the most transparent speaker just as the most transparent headphone, will be one WITHOUT any crossover points and filters employed.The more drivers involved to cover the frequency range, the more problems.
And the most transparent headphones are electrostatic headphones for that reason among several others and the same applies to speakers.
I have yet to hear more transparent speakers and a more truly realistic line source with large scale classical music than a full range electrostatic.
If ultimate resolution is the goal and space is not a limiting factor, they are still the ultimate choice.
Nothing else reacts as fast as the superthin electrically charged film instead of moving coils as in traditional box speakers.
If timing and transients are important there is as far as I know nothing else that will beat electrostatics in response time and resolution.
Jude's latest video here on the Stax 009S has got some more interesting facts regarding the technical advantages of electrostatics.

But most full range electrostatic speakers are limited in the bass to around 40hz at best. But since our hearing is least sensitive to distortions in that region anyway, they can be supplemented with a conventional subwoofer/ bass unit for full bass response to cover even the lowest string bass notes in an orchestra or a piano's lowest note, with little compromise.
Cheers Controversial Christer

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2018 at 12:15 AM Post #4,665 of 18,478
That's not a review - it's a diatribe about A/B comparisons.
No it is not a really review as such.
But he mentions one very important thing mostly missing when audio manufacturers demo their equipment, A/B comparisons.

As far I am concerned having heard it quite long ago, I already knew what was achieveable with Mscaling.
But I was not willing to pay the price of entry.

But now, expensive as it unfortunately still is for most budgets in the real world,M Scaler brings such clear and VERY obvious improvements to digital SQ, that after careful auditions with a lot of very demanding and revealing 100% unamplified acoustic instruments and human voice music material, I came to the conclusion, I absolutely need this thing.
Cheers Controversial Christer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back