Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Dec 1, 2018 at 12:23 PM Post #3,766 of 18,496
How is quboz vs tidal. Is the us beta buggy? How do I get one? Thanks

I've been overlapping on both Tidal and Qobuz, on a trial for the latter.
Mainly listening through the Aurender, which makes it absurdly simply to go back and forth between both services (as well as my own library), say the same album both ways.

There's something about the Qobuz sound -- even on 44/16 music files -- that's richer to my ears than from Tidal. Not buggy at all.
Will likely drop Tidal after Qobuz gets ensconced in the U.S. Except... the two company's offerings aren't as fully equal as initially appeared.

Let me describe by artists, and how many of their albums are available.
For example, Maddy Prior -- solo albums, not as part of Steeleye Span -- has 29 albums on Tidal, but only 2 albums on on Qobuz.
In my limited but intensive searching recently on both services, I've found that for folk/roots type of music, Tidal tends to have more than Qobuz in general, not just for Ms. Prior.
That seems to be true just as Qobuz clearly has much more classical than Tidal.
And for me, those are both genres of music, among others, that I listen to.

But Qobuz, likely because it's based in Europe, has more of the ECM catalog, with more high-rez, than does Tidal.

Quick last note, relative to music discovery -- because isn't that one of the joys of a good streaming service -- is a search I did yesterday on Qobuz.
My search term was simply "ecm" (case mattered), and up came over 1700 albums all from the glorious ECM label.
But in no real order, perhaps by release date, but not absolutely.
But that's great, the random grid of albums encouraging me to try this and try that.
Of course, this is meaningful for me only since I've enjoyed many artists who've recorded for that label over the years, and there are many more I've not heard or not heard in full.

Probably more than you asked, but I'm kinda jazzed by Qobuz recently.

Dave, who says it's an interesting visual experience viewing row upon row of ECM album covers when you consider how there's a similar design and style to the vast majority

Dec 1, 2018 at 12:34 PM Post #3,767 of 18,496
I've been overlapping on both Tidal and Qobuz, on a trial for the latter.
Mainly listening through the Aurender, which makes it absurdly simply to go back and forth between both services (as well as my own library), say the same album both ways.

There's something about the Qobuz sound -- even on 44/16 music files -- that's richer to my ears than from Tidal. Not buggy at all.
Will likely drop Tidal after Qobuz gets ensconced in the U.S. Except... the two company's offerings aren't as fully equal as initially appeared.

Let me describe by artists, and how many of their albums are available.
For example, Maddy Prior -- solo albums, not as part of Steeleye Span -- has 29 albums on Tidal, but only 2 albums on on Qobuz.
In my limited but intensive searching recently on both services, I've found that for folk/roots type of music, Tidal tends to have more than Qobuz in general, not just for Ms. Prior.
That seems to be true just as Qobuz clearly has much more classical than Tidal.
And for me, those are both genres of music, among others, that I listen to.

But Qobuz, likely because it's based in Europe, has more of the ECM catalog, with more high-rez, than does Tidal.

Quick last note, relative to music discovery -- because isn't that one of the joys of a good streaming service -- is a search I did yesterday on Qobuz.
My search term was simply "ecm" (case mattered), and up came over 1700 albums all from the glorious ECM label.
But in no real order, perhaps by release date, but not absolutely.
But that's great, the random grid of albums encouraging me to try this and try that.
Of course, this is meaningful for me only since I've enjoyed many artists who've recorded for that label over the years, and there are many more I've not heard or not heard in full.

Probably more than you asked, but I'm kinda jazzed by Qobuz recently.

Dave, who says it's an interesting visual experience viewing row upon row of ECM album covers when you consider how there's a similar design and style to the vast majority

Tidal has a significantly larger database than Qobuz, and Spotify is even larger.

My understanding is that the whole of the ECM catalogue is on Spotify and Tidal, but I’m not sure about Qobuz, though as your search revealed, many are. I suppose it’s all about finding the right balance between breadth, price and sound quality. The danger of course, is that you spend your time flicking from album to album. Perhaps it’s just too easy.

Dec 1, 2018 at 12:49 PM Post #3,769 of 18,496
I've spent several hours today and the net. result is that I'm no longer selling anything. The TT2/HMS stays, it's a bloody brilliant rig. I've had a few hairs on the back of my neck moments today. If you're hesitating over the HMS, feel confident, this is a superb upgrade to RBCD files.

And how might you feel tomorrow?

Dec 1, 2018 at 1:41 PM Post #3,778 of 18,496
Hahaha.

Endgame is
- disposable income vs.
- personal justification for spending limits on audio gear (given other priorities) vs.
- personal satisfaction with sound.

My wife loves music, listens constantly, but thinks spending over $1K on pure audio gear is ridiculous, despite sometimes listening on my gear and agreeing that the audio gear I have is better than what she has. For her, endgame is the WH1000-XM3, replacing her previous XM2, and she's very satisfied with it, raves about it.

Dec 1, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #3,779 of 18,496
Hahaha.

Endgame is
- disposable income vs.
- personal justification for spending limits on audio gear (given other priorities) vs.
- personal satisfaction with sound.

My wife loves music, listens constantly, but thinks spending over $1K on pure audio gear is ridiculous, despite sometimes listening on my gear and agreeing that the audio gear I have is better than what she has. For her, endgame is the WH1000-XM3, replacing her previous XM2, and she's very satisfied with it, raves about it.

Women don’t get Hi-Fi and tolerate it, begrudgingly.

On the other hand, I think your wife might have a point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back