Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Nov 30, 2018 at 4:47 PM Post #3,736 of 18,478
When playing a 44.1KHz file into M Scaler and using the S/PDIF Single Coaxial BNC output on M Scaler not the Dual BNC outputs and connect the single S/PDIF output to non Chord Dac i can only upscale as far as the blue light the white light i get no sound.
However if i play a 48KHz file or higher into M Scaler and do the same link to non Chord Dac i can upscale as high as the white light.
Little confused as to why at 44.1KHz in to Scaler it will only allow as high as blue setting?

Nov 30, 2018 at 5:11 PM Post #3,737 of 18,478
Looking at the chart of Output sample rate settings in the M-Scaler manual -- and yes, I can big-time see why you're confused. I'd be confused too.

Not that this might have anything to do with your situation, but what input on the M-Scaler are you using?

And what non Chord DAC are you linking to?

Dave, who will be linking his HMS-TK to a non Chord DAC or two too

Nov 30, 2018 at 5:21 PM Post #3,738 of 18,478
Using BNC input 1 on M Scaler so chose yellow as input which according to manual is BNC 1 and it works other than 44.1KHz at white upscale no sound?
The Dac i am trying is a khadas dac as its portable.

Nov 30, 2018 at 5:54 PM Post #3,739 of 18,478
Ha! Well obviously if you remove an output device, Qobuz will flip to one that is available - in your case the internal speaker. It’s a bit unfair to attack Qobuz in the cicrcumstances.
Wasn’t attacking - just saying - vigilance. Good to know if you unplug the usb lead, when you put it back in, qobuz doesn’t auto select it again. as a programmer, I forgive qobuz for this.

Nov 30, 2018 at 5:59 PM Post #3,740 of 18,478
check the source.....
I have some experience on dropouts with M scaler. Shortly before I got my M Scaler the original headphone cable for my Focal Utopias broke. I ordered a Moon Audio Silver Dragon for FU from the States and had it within few days. Then arrived the M Scaler. Music bliss as stated by many on this forum. But there was annoying dropouts when using the 1 million taps - some 2-4 dropouts per minute. Rob listed possible culprits; the source was MBP with Mojave, but the number of dropouts were roughly the same with a Maranz CD player and optical input to HMS. The M Scaler clearly generates a lot of RF noise when in top gear as red, green or blue output did not cause any dropouts. Then I got the replacement original cable for the Utopias and trying them with 1 million taps resulted in almoust continuos dropouts making listening a pain. The Focal original headphone cable was dumped. It showed me that shielding of interconnections is very important when using MScaler at full capacity. My twin BNC to 3.5 coax between HMS and Hugo 2 was a Supra cable with connectors RCA to BNC. Touching them brought noise. I ordered the Moon Audio Black Dragon special connector between HMS ans H2. I did not dear to believe this would solve the problem. The Mojave had been blamed - should I need to go for a Roon Nucleus? But when the Black Dragon interconnect was introduced the dropouts were gone for ever. Not once have they reappeared. My sincere gratitude goes to Rob Watts for his incredible achievements enabling me to listen to all my CDs and all streamed music with ”vinyl” SQ and to Drew Baird for making perfect interconnections that removed all fuzz from enjoying the music.

Nov 30, 2018 at 6:21 PM Post #3,741 of 18,478
I have some experience on dropouts with M scaler. Shortly before I got my M Scaler the original headphone cable for my Focal Utopias broke. I ordered a Moon Audio Silver Dragon for FU from the States and had it within few days. Then arrived the M Scaler. Music bliss as stated by many on this forum. But there was annoying dropouts when using the 1 million taps - some 2-4 dropouts per minute. Rob listed possible culprits; the source was MBP with Mojave, but the number of dropouts were roughly the same with a Maranz CD player and optical input to HMS. The M Scaler clearly generates a lot of RF noise when in top gear as red, green or blue output did not cause any dropouts. Then I got the replacement original cable for the Utopias and trying them with 1 million taps resulted in almoust continuos dropouts making listening a pain. The Focal original headphone cable was dumped. It showed me that shielding of interconnections is very important when using MScaler at full capacity. My twin BNC to 3.5 coax between HMS and Hugo 2 was a Supra cable with connectors RCA to BNC. Touching them brought noise. I ordered the Moon Audio Black Dragon special connector between HMS ans H2. I did not dear to believe this would solve the problem. The Mojave had been blamed - should I need to go for a Roon Nucleus? But when the Black Dragon interconnect was introduced the dropouts were gone for ever. Not once have they reappeared. My sincere gratitude goes to Rob Watts for his incredible achievements enabling me to listen to all my CDs and all streamed music with ”vinyl” SQ and to Drew Baird for making perfect interconnections that removed all fuzz from enjoying the music.
thanks for sharing, so you think the adapter between the bnc and the coax port was causing your problems ?
and you can also relate that to the number of taps selected ?

Nov 30, 2018 at 6:23 PM Post #3,742 of 18,478
Morning album recommendation of the day. Ethiopian jazz with the Either orchestra live in Addis. With h2/hms this a seriously out of your head trippy trance like experience. On roon. World class jazz ensemble. Search either orchestra on roon and this album cover. I feel like i could be there in Addis.

this album is extremely well recorded. great saxophone but not jarring. worth a listen.

Nov 30, 2018 at 6:32 PM Post #3,744 of 18,478
watch out for qobuz, if keeps forgetting what connection to mscaler you want to use. so asio 1.05 is unavailable for hi-res, so can use the Chord async driver instead. But if u dont select this driver after a reboot (of laptop), it will default to some other native windows driver, and hi res will only play 44 khz for example.

Huh, it doesn’t do that with me, it remembers the output that I selected ages ago, asio 1.05 is available for hi res and works fine until it hits slomo. Edit: I should add, it can work on hires files, but rarely without it going back to slomo.

Then I go wasapi exclusive or optical.

I would blame your laptop or pebkac

:)

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2018 at 6:35 PM Post #3,745 of 18,478
Last edited:
Nov 30, 2018 at 6:38 PM Post #3,746 of 18,478
1. So how prevalent are these problems with a DAVE/MScaler combination?
2. What if my DAVE is pre-owned? If I buy a new MScaler from a dealer will Chord help me out if I have problems?
3. Is there any what to know if my DAVE is one with these issues before I get an MScaler?
4. How much would it cost to fix a DAVE with this issue if I had to pay?
5. Does it need to be shipped to Britain (from the US)?

Nov 30, 2018 at 7:11 PM Post #3,747 of 18,478
can you link to the product that fixed it ?
did you hear improved sq or anything - or was it just lack of drop outs?
I use an audio quest bnc to coax adapter, and i dont have any drops outs on h2.
https://www.futureshop.co.uk/audioquest-hard-mini-rca-adaptor
wonder if theres anything significantly different between the 3 adapters (my one, your old and new one).
The SQ is sublime bothways but the lack of dropouts is what pleases me most. With the old cable I had to use RCA to BNC adapters and I think this is not as good as BNC soldered to the cable. But improved shielding could also play a part. Formely I have been frowning on people spending a lot of money on fancy high-end cables but in this case I have to admit that the cost-benefit is real.

Nov 30, 2018 at 7:11 PM Post #3,748 of 18,478
I am assuming in this that the optical transducer might generate a small amount of noise. No doubt some would say it is so small as not to be important or that there are isolating circuits to take it out but isolating circuits are not always perfect and we are also seeing more and more that even small noise can be important.

Thoughts?

I use optical as an input and have for many years based on the following premises:

1) data loss is audible
if any bits are lost in transmission, this loss will be clearly audible and manifest itself as a click, pop, or dropout - not as something subtler such as smearing, gritty top end, etc. I've actually tested this by manually editing a WAV file to send an incorrect bit. You can easily hear the pop. The only time you might not notice it would be if it happened to affect the LSB of a 16 bit sample.

2) jitter is eliminated by DAC reference clock/DPLL

Toslink has been criticized for jitter deriving from transceiver devices and clock recovery. However, I think most modern DAC's need only to establish the data rate of the incoming signal, and thereafter will buffer and reclock the incoming data using a DPLL fed by a good quality XO.

The above is probably behind Rob's comment about not hearing any difference between cheap and expensive optical cables.

Genuinely happy to be corrected on any of this; there may be other subtleties at play and I'm always keen to learn from those with more knowledge.

As an aside, I listen exclusively to Redbook material, so any of the problems Toslink suffers with higher bit/frequency rates are not something I can talk on with any level of authority or experience.

Nov 30, 2018 at 7:39 PM Post #3,749 of 18,478
My problem started when I bought a new laptop with Mojave’s installed. No matter what I tried I kept having cut outs. I went back to high Sierra and had no cut outs again. I ultimately bought a roon nucleus and haven’t had 1 cut out since

Users who are viewing this thread

Back