Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Nov 25, 2018 at 2:29 PM Post #3,496 of 18,495
Once you sign up for Qobuz Sublime+ that level of music streaming quality is available to you though any Qobuz source.

I have Sublime + and though that the streaming quality was limited on some devices such as iPhones. Might be wrong though.

Nov 25, 2018 at 2:36 PM Post #3,497 of 18,495
I have Sublime + and though that the streaming quality was limited on some devices such as iPhones. Might be wrong though.

Ah, I think that depends on how you output from the iPhone. I've done it directly into a Mojo, with the USB adapter out of the phone's Lightning port.

And the Mojo's color ball has shown the same sample frequency as what the Qobuz app says.

I'm new to Qobuz though, and perhaps streaming quality used to be limited through mobile.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2018 at 3:24 PM Post #3,498 of 18,495
Confused by your commment. Default BNC cables were fine and the WAVE BNC (1m) are excellent and worth the money? Those cables cost almost as much as the HUGO2 $1800. Is that really a worthwhile upgrade??

I'm at end game stage (IMO and for my budget / desire). The supplied BNC cables work fine - no dropouts for me and my Hugo 2 sounding a lot better (with mscaler) than without.

I enjoyed the Wave BNC cables with the Hugo 2 and Mscaler enough to pay the asking price after a trial. I am not suggesting that others in this forum will feel that the value / benefit justifies the price however, I would be very surprised if they did not hear a substantial difference. I have not compared any other cables. I am constantly surprised and delighted by mscaler / Hugo 2 and the Wave cables contribute to this. I will not be commenting further on the impact of cables in this thread.

Adrian

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2018 at 3:58 PM Post #3,499 of 18,495

The sound quality is limited on Android devices using the Qobuz app. The app uses Android audio which up-samples all content and the usb output to 192 kHz 24. The only way around this is to use USB audio player pro to Stream Qubuz. USB audio player pro is not licenced by Qubuz for playback of offline content. Please contact Qobuz about the App using Android audio and not outputting bit perfect original sample rate content. If enough people contact them they may update it.

Nov 25, 2018 at 4:06 PM Post #3,500 of 18,495
Ah, I think that depends on how you output from the iPhone. I've done it directly into a Mojo, with the USB adapter out of the phone's Lightning port.

And the Mojo's color ball has shown the same sample frequency as what the Qobuz app says.

I'm new to Qobuz though, and perhaps streaming quality used to be limited through mobile.

Please see my post above. I use a Samsung S7 android phone with my Mojo. All content is output at 192kHz 24 not the the original 44.1 kHz 16. The Mojo power ball (sample rate led) should be red, not dark blue.

Nov 25, 2018 at 4:34 PM Post #3,501 of 18,495
Please see my post above. I use a Samsung S7 android phone with my Mojo. All content is output at 192kHz 24 not the the original 44.1 kHz 16. The Mojo power ball (sample rate led) should be red, not dark blue.

Yes, the Qobuz app appears to differ from Android on iOS, clearly showing actual sample rates & bit depth, such as 44.1k/16.

Nov 25, 2018 at 10:49 PM Post #3,502 of 18,495
What about sound stage? Does the Hifiman HE 1000se driven by HMS/DAVE give as wide and deep an acoustic space as the ABYSS AB-1266 Phi CC or STAX 009 even when the latter are driven by an intervening amplifier of equal quality. For those of us who are purests, is there any loss of microdetail/clarity etc with adding an amplifier into the HMS/DAVE chain? I prefer clarity and ambience over hard hitting bass as long as the base and sub base are clean and visceral and do not bleed into the mids and highs with a masking effect.
SQ of direct drive from DAVE to a great HP is very hard to beat. Would like to hear people with excellent gears with 009 sharing their experiences.

Nov 25, 2018 at 10:53 PM Post #3,503 of 18,495
Soundstage on he1000se improves with Dave and HMS it has better width and dept than stax 009 .I have not heard abyss cannot comment. Adding external amp to Dave and HMS you will loose the transparency however good the amp or headphone is.
Would you mind share your gears that connected to 009 and DAVE?

Nov 25, 2018 at 10:58 PM Post #3,504 of 18,495
I'm at end game stage (IMO and for my budget / desire). The supplied BNC cables work fine - no dropouts for me and my Hugo 2 sounding a lot better (with mscaler) than without.

I enjoyed the Wave BNC cables with the Hugo 2 and Mscaler enough to pay the asking price after a trial. I am not suggesting that others in this forum will feel that the value / benefit justifies the price however, I would be very surprised if they did not hear a substantial difference. I have not compared any other cables. I am constantly surprised and delighted by mscaler / Hugo 2 and the Wave cables contribute to this. I will not be commenting further on the impact of cables in this thread.

Adrian
Thank you for the sharing. It would be great to have an audition chance of the Wave BNC cable

Nov 26, 2018 at 6:25 AM Post #3,508 of 18,495
SQ of direct drive from DAVE to a great HP is very hard to beat. Would like to hear people with excellent gears with 009 sharing their experiences.

I posted a BHSE 009 versus DAVE HEK V2 comparison a while back here.
That post also links to a previous post where I chose the HEK V2 over the usual contenders, including Utopia and Abyss.

My opinion hasn't changed much since then, other than I've seen other reports that an external amp can benefit DAVE when driving the most inefficient headphones: Susvara for sure, Abyss probably.
It's not a question of maximum volume, of which DAVE has plenty to spare for even the Susvara (at least at my moderate listening levels). More about dynamics and more subjective differences.

I haven't heard the HEK SE, but guess it's higher efficiency, compared to HEK V2, will further benefit DAVE's direct output.

Nov 26, 2018 at 9:51 AM Post #3,509 of 18,495
@ChordElectronics — since Bluebird isn’t giving any updates, it would be nice if you let your North American customers know what the status is of HMS arriving stateside. seems like people all over the world are enjoying their units and “early November” (as per the last official update) has long passed.

FWIW, Bluebird told my dealer that HMS units should arrive at the dealer this week.

Nov 26, 2018 at 9:53 AM Post #3,510 of 18,495
Stax 009 connected toWES 2 generation amplifier with audio quest water rca cables to Dave and HMS to Dave with nordost blue heaven bnc cables.
Thank you very much. Regards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back