Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Nov 25, 2018 at 10:36 AM Post #3,481 of 18,518
Long cables are impracticable in my setup too. My system is minimalist but high quality. I realised some years ago that especially with highend audio some care is required to avoid pollution of signals. Careful attention to power supplies and any electrical connections reaps audio rewards.

I have settled on optical input (no electrical connection) and the use of the default Chord supplied mscaler power supply (plugged into a £30 RFI filtered AC multisocket). The WAVE BNC cables (1m) are excellent (and worth the money IMO) although I can only compare them to the default cables which were fine.

I've said before that I'm very satisfied with mscaler / Hugo 2 combo. After a month of listening I can confirm this opinion.

Adrian
Confused by your commment. Default BNC cables were fine and the WAVE BNC (1m) are excellent and worth the money? Those cables cost almost as much as the HUGO2 $1800. Is that really a worthwhile upgrade??

Nov 25, 2018 at 11:03 AM Post #3,482 of 18,518
Confused by your commment. Default BNC cables were fine and the WAVE BNC (1m) are excellent and worth the money? Those cables cost almost as much as the HUGO2 $1800. Is that really a worthwhile upgrade??

@apmusson will have to comment on your question addressed to him but just for accuracy he bought the WAVE STREAM cables which cost £895 per 1m bnc pair.

Nov 25, 2018 at 11:35 AM Post #3,484 of 18,518
What about sound stage? Does the Hifiman HE 1000se driven by HMS/DAVE give as wide and deep an acoustic space as the ABYSS AB-1266 Phi CC or STAX 009 even when the latter are driven by an intervening amplifier of equal quality. For those of us who are purests, is there any loss of microdetail/clarity etc with adding an amplifier into the HMS/DAVE chain? I prefer clarity and ambience over hard hitting bass as long as the base and sub base are clean and visceral and do not bleed into the mids and highs with a masking effect.

Nov 25, 2018 at 11:41 AM Post #3,485 of 18,518
Soundstage on he1000se improves with Dave and HMS it has better width and dept than stax 009 .I have not heard abyss cannot comment. Adding external amp to Dave and HMS you will loose the transparency however good the amp or headphone is.

Nov 25, 2018 at 11:42 AM Post #3,486 of 18,518
Now listening to Beatles White Album, Rubber Soul, never heard these mixes sound so amazing.

Are you streaming them or playing cd or even ripping the cds? I have toyed with buying the hires download versions but have resisted so far . . . .

Nov 25, 2018 at 11:54 AM Post #3,489 of 18,518
You just need to select the album form Search and don't go anywhere near so called "master versions". Of course if the album you want is not available as a non MQA version you're F....d. That's why I really need Quboz to get their act together with Roon.

Nov 25, 2018 at 12:19 PM Post #3,490 of 18,518
So I just got tidal. So if I play a masters they is the same as mqa? Does that sound worse than a non masters version when using a tt2 and m scaler? I alsways thought the masters version was the highest quality?

Nov 25, 2018 at 12:27 PM Post #3,491 of 18,518
So I just got tidal. So if I play a masters they is the same as mqa? Does that sound worse than a non masters version when using a tt2 and m scaler? I alsways thought the masters version was the highest quality?
Depends on your take re. MQA, Personally I think it’s Snake Oil, Mr. Watts also has strong views on MQA.

Nov 25, 2018 at 12:38 PM Post #3,492 of 18,518

Rob Watts has strong views on MQA and you can search on Head Fi for his various posts on the subject but here is the two line version. I moved from Tidal to Qobus to escape MQA.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-electronics-dave.766517/page-574#post-13498604

Nov 25, 2018 at 12:55 PM Post #3,493 of 18,518
So for those of you all using quboz sublime+ is it much preferred to tidal Hifi? Considering switching when it is available in the USA. Also not sure if you can get quboz sublime+ using just the IOS app and an IPad Pro or to get this you need to run it off a laptop? Thanks

Nov 25, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #3,494 of 18,518
Nov 25, 2018 at 1:44 PM Post #3,495 of 18,518
So for those of you all using quboz sublime+ is it much preferred to tidal Hifi? Considering switching when it is available in the USA. Also not sure if you can get quboz sublime+ using just the IOS app and an IPad Pro or to get this you need to run it off a laptop? Thanks

Once you sign up for Qobuz Sublime+ that level of music streaming quality is available to you though any Qobuz source. I assume that would be the case for any level of subscription.

At least for me, the "any platform" Qobuz experience (full resolution) has been true with the following:
* Qobuz app on iPad and iPhone
* Qobuz app on Macintosh
* Qobuz website in browser
* Audirvana Plus, running on a Mac
* Aurender Conductor

HTH.

Oh yes, I love Qobuz where I only have liked Tidal. I'm overlapping on the two now, and will switch over entirely to Qobuz when their US situation is solidified.

Dave, who notes to at least include some thread-relevant info that he should be receiving his HMS sometime in the next 10 days

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back