Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Nov 24, 2018 at 5:16 PM Post #3,469 of 18,496
Dave is already on PCM+.

Trying a bit more, it is not the actual switching of inputs on the MScaler that causes the pop, rather I think it is when those inputs have different frequencies and that makes the MScaler update its output frequency and the Dave therefore has to lock onto that new signal. For instance I have an always on DAB radio (48k) connected to BNC2 on the MScaler and a streamer (various output frequencies depending on file) connected via USB. I flick between them depending on whether Radio 3 is playing normal music or plink plonk. The pops through the speakers are quite noticeable but not enough to be worrying. I suspect it is just a byproduct of the MScaling feature and as such I can put up with it for the payback of the music quality.

I was getting intermittent clicks and pops, sometimes frightening when changing inputs on the Dave. I have just discovered how to eliminate them. Pause or stop play back of the digital sources that are being switched between, or alternatively mute the sound at the sources. From testing this evening it works every time.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2018 at 6:18 PM Post #3,470 of 18,496
Thinking of upgrading to a more resolving headphone with wider soundstage from my pm1 to use with h2/hms. I tried the sony z1r today and was impressed. On Monday i'll try the ether2. The z1r was immensely comfortable with a massive stage for a closed back with its 70 somin mm inner driver radius. I need some help here as to which i should go for and why? cheers mk.

Nov 24, 2018 at 9:20 PM Post #3,473 of 18,496
Teds smiths upcoming signature dac will come split into two box one analog and one digital, what’s interesting to me about this though it’s been said they will be connected by a special glass optical connection chosen because it’s fully isolated from noise. Yes this will allow high bandwidth connection, no more limited to 24/192 on a good day.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2018 at 9:22 AM Post #3,478 of 18,496
one only gets a mug with black orders

Nov 25, 2018 at 10:11 AM Post #3,479 of 18,496
Hifiman he1000se with Dave and HMS is the best I have heard .Dave drives it effortlessly with HMS its soundstage dept is better than he1000 wat I own.it is cleaner across the spectrum with more detail . With Dave hifiman se would be equivalent to susvara and other amp without Dave.
Stax 009 has sufficient bass on WES I never needed more .with Dave and HMS it has been even more tighter bass and soundstage is even better.
HMS WITH DAVE is a treat on any headphone unless it can be driven by Dave.
What about sound stage? Does the Hifiman HE 1000se driven by HMS/DAVE give as wide and deep an acoustic space as the ABYSS AB-1266 Phi CC or STAX 009 even when the latter are driven by an intervening amplifier of equal quality. For those of us who are purests, is there any loss of microdetail/clarity etc with adding an amplifier into the HMS/DAVE chain? I prefer clarity and ambience over hard hitting bass as long as the base and sub base are clean and visceral and do not bleed into the mids and highs with a masking effect.

Nov 25, 2018 at 10:11 AM Post #3,480 of 18,496
The observation on 2m BNC cable sounds better than 1m BNC cable seemed was in the context of connecting M-scaler to Dave. Is it still the case connecting M-scaler to Hugo2?

Correct, I only have the Dave to test the different dual BNC cable lengths with the MScaler. I do not know whether @Rob Watts has tried different DACs (including Hugo2) in your question with the different dual BNC cable lengths or whether he feels it is legitimate to assume that the same holds true for all the Chord dual BNC DACs when connected to the MScaler. I have tagged him in my answer in case he can throw any light on your question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back