Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Nov 7, 2018 at 1:10 AM Post #2,821 of 18,603
Great to get a bit of discussion going.
To recap, what I thought i said was, the difference in airplane mode on/off in poly is substantial in terms of sq.
If I could get a similar improvement from using my laptop to something else that has been designed for the sole purpose of music, that’s something I’d be interested in hearing people’s perspectives on.
The reason it’s on topic is because I want to use the server with mscaler.
Thanks relic and others for getting involved (even if taking the wrong end of the stick slightly).

Nov 7, 2018 at 1:11 AM Post #2,822 of 18,603
Having said that, I am not sure for me that the M-Scaler is the right buy for me now. Nothing against it, and I imagine it is a brilliant device. I just have other things on my mind. I do imaging the M-Scaler bringing more warmth, clarity, and detail. I probably can't even imagine how much. I know the Hugo 2 was better to me in ways I had not imagined, coming from the Mojo.

I think it is important that you are having to imagine what an MScaker does when you say this because you have not heard one. I suggest not making up your mind until you hear it. I really think it will exceed what you are imagining by a long long way. Quite a few people on here make judgement statements about HMS when they have not heard it. I think it is impossible to imagine just how good HMS is without hearing it because it is so much better than say the difference between different DACs. Make sure you have a listen before you make up your mind.

Nov 7, 2018 at 1:27 AM Post #2,823 of 18,603
Hi Rob,
What's the input voltage range for the HMS?

Nov 7, 2018 at 1:55 AM Post #2,824 of 18,603
I have to disagree with amberlamps that the Mojo is warmer than the Hugo 2.

I find the Hugo 2 warmer myself. I think it's because the sound is fuller. The Mojo may be a little darker. Yet to me Mojo and Hugo 2 are fairly balanced with each other and I don't find either brighter. The Mojo is just a bit more cloudy and less clear, but still brilliant, with a smaller soundstage.

Additionally the suggestion that soundstage is not worth it in IEMs is also not right for me. I find the soundstage is pretty good in my modestly priced AKG N40. I assume that it would be even better if I tacked an M-Scaler onto the Hugo 2. ... I do however concede that IEMs are known for having less sound-staging than headphones. However IEMs are far from no good at soundstage. Only last night I was listening to 192KHz Norah Jones - Not too Late. I was thinking how the placement of instruments were more spread than I was used to. I wondered if it was the effect of the high-res music, or just that album.

It feels like we are being taunted when folk say the Hugo 2 is not good for IEM. It's garbage. ... To add to this, the soundstage on the Hugo 2 is wider than it is on the Mojo. That's in my IEMs, headphones, and speakers.

Having said that, I am not sure for me that the M-Scaler is the right buy for me now. Nothing against it, and I imagine it is a brilliant device. I just have other things on my mind. I do imaging the M-Scaler bringing more warmth, clarity, and detail. I probably can't even imagine how much. I know the Hugo 2 was better to me in ways I had not imagined, coming from the Mojo.

No taunting here, and nothing here is garbage.

If you don’t think it’s warmer, I’m cool with that. See how that goes, I don’t disagree on how you find product abcde ..... to be.

Firstly, I love my Hugo 2, I love it so much, I decided to not trade it in to get money off my TT2. H2 is excellent at what it does, but in my opinion, and for my musical taste, I don’t like using iem’s with Hugo 2. Nobody said Hugo 2 is bad with iem’s, again, my opinion and tastes.

With all my iem’s, and when I say all, I’m speaking bags full of them, but I just never felt as comfortable with Hugo 2 with iem’s than I did with mojo and poly. Maybe subconsciously it’s size put me off using it with iem’s as a mobile dac. ?

I never said the iem soundstage was not worth it, if it was not worth it, I would not of spent thousands of pounds over the years on an iem collection. Some iem’s are very good, some not so good, but I think the very good are still not good enough for an mscaler. Again, just my opinion, it’s not law or fact, just my opinion. But I don’t think iem’s can faithfully reproduce the experience that Rob wants us to hear from his magic mscaler. Again, my opinion.

My question was, since iem’s are known to be inferior sound wise compared to headphones and because of other factors, tips, how far pushed into ear etc, because of all those variables, would it be worth using an mscaler with iem’s ?

I think no, but I could be wrong as I haven’t tried h2, mscaler and iem’s together, but what I can say is, MScaler with decent headphones is worth every penny.

I hope we have cleared that up ?

I will do some testing to see if iem’s are worth using on the mscaler, as it seems to of been a sore topic, which I can’t understand why, as if the iem’s sound bad, thats the iem’s fault and nothing to do with any chord product.

I will in order rate my chord products so nobody can question me again thinking I think x product is bad which is not the case.

Mojo 10/10
Poly 10/10
Hugo 2 10/10
MScaler 10/10
TT2 that I havent yet got, score is 10/10 already.

Nobody else ask me about using iems on Hugo 2 or MScaler, if the sound is bad, it’s the iem’s fault. Not the Chord products.

Nov 7, 2018 at 2:18 AM Post #2,825 of 18,603
Hi Rob,
What's the input voltage range for the HMS?

Here you go, previous question and RW's reply.

Rob,
Can you please confirm the power and voltage requirement of HMS? Can one power with 12V?

Yes it will work with 9v to 15v. I have used it a lot with 85W/h battery banks, and gotten more than 6 hours listening from it. I do not recommend replacing the supplied PSU with a linear PSU, as the PSU has been carefully specified for low leakage and RF noise levels - with better performance than linear PSU's.

Nov 7, 2018 at 3:18 AM Post #2,826 of 18,603
Thank you Nick. It can be down to 9V, great!

Nov 7, 2018 at 4:24 AM Post #2,827 of 18,603
Had my first hearing of Chord's M scaler the other day at a hi-fi show. System was all Chord electronics - M scaler, Dave, etude amp and Atc scm40 speakers.

Just to say, I've never heard any of the above products before, knew little about the m scaler and I've not read any of this thread.

BOY was I in for a surprise!!!....

The demo kicked off with a song in standard cd form (44.1 khz), and very nice it was too, no complaints. Then, same song through the m scaler doing its stuff at 705.6 kHz and into Dave. Wooha!...wasn't expecting that. I thought the m scaler would be able to extract more info and make it sound better, that was the least it was doing. There in front of me was this huge soundstage, high, deep and wide. The stereo presentation made the speakers disappear. Instruments were coming from behind and wide of the speakers (like 5 foot away from them!). The height of the soundstage was ridiculous, it was like being in the front row of a concert. But there was also beautiful tones and timbre, her voice shimmered and gave you an insight to a recording like I never heard before.
What a wonderful job Rob has done with this, it's an absolute game changer and I urge anyone to have a listen!

My system: Chord 2qute, Auris ha2-se headphone amp, Audeze lcd x headphones.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2018 at 4:43 AM Post #2,830 of 18,603
Had my first hearing of Chord's M scaler the other day at a hi-fi show. System was all Chord electronics - M scaler, Dave, etude amp and Atc scm40 speakers.

Just to say, I've never heard any of the above products before, new little about the m scaler and I've not read any of this thread.

BOY was I in for a surprise!!!....

The demo kicked off with a song in standard cd form (44.1 khz), and very nice it was too, no complaints. Then, same song through the m scaler doing its stuff at 705.6 kHz and into Dave. Woohah!...wasn't expecting that. I thought the m scaler would just be able to extract more info and make it sound better, that was the least it was doing. There in front of me was this huge soundstage, high, deep and wide. The stereo presentation made the speakers disappear. Instruments were coming from behind and wide of the speakers (like 5 foot away from them!). The height of the soundstage was ridiculous, it was like being in the front row of a concert. But there was also beautiful tones and timbre, her voice shimmered and gave you an insight to a recording like I never heard before.
What a wonderful job Rob has done with this, it's an absolute game changer and I urge anyone to have a listen!

My system: Chord 2qute, Auris ha2-se headphone amp, Audeze lcd x headphones.
When I went the chord day at Hifi lounge it was amazing but I never listened to anything, I made a joke about this a few threads back making out that it was Rob watts being there but I'll be honest, nothing sounds as good as it does when you listen to it at home

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2018 at 4:46 AM Post #2,832 of 18,603
Thank you Nick. It can be down to 9V, great!
My experience with these things is fairly limited, and my technical knowledge even less (so half expecting to be shot down by more knowledgeable people), but when varying voltage, within the stated voltage range, with some of the small boxes in my system last year (switches, fibre-media-converters, microRendu etc), I generally found that higher voltage/lower amps generated lower noise and consequently better sound quality. I have read of others observing the same.

From this, I am assuming that you would get the best out of the M Scaler inputting 15V, and that there would be some compromises at 9V. That said, I have wondered about Rob Watts’ preferring to use his power bank at 12V instead of 15V. But that could be because he has doubts over that device’s ability to stay steady at the set voltage, and that an overshoot when set at 15V could blow the protection diode.

Nov 7, 2018 at 4:54 AM Post #2,833 of 18,603
Can't go on the beyerdynamic Dt 1990 thread anymore,totally slated for wanting to put my input on how the headphones sound, proper hated on there I don't get it,heart of gold me,think I'm like marmite

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2018 at 5:04 AM Post #2,835 of 18,603
Lol. Don't take it personally @paul2qute. We all invest money and mindshare in products. It can be easy to be slightly protectionist or sensitive about products / ideas they / we have invested in. Not all are as neutral as you... :wink:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back