Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Sep 27, 2018 at 1:45 PM Post #1,546 of 18,497
I already have some BNC cables so can someone tell me what these parts (circled) are called so I can buy them?

Image%202018-09-27%20at%2010.03.41%20AM.png

Sure, you will need two BNC to RCA converters and I use an AudioQuest RCA to 3.5mm jack convertor.

I use these convertors rather than omitting the BNC off one end and hard wiring the cable direct to the jack so that my customers can still use the WAVE cable if they upgrade to a different Chord DAC that has bnc sockets.

Below are the component parts and links. These are UK web links but it should help to find the components wherever you are.

Hope it helps.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AudioQuest...071437&sr=8-3&keywords=audioquest+rca+to+jack
https://www.amazon.co.uk/VCE-5-PACK-Plated-Female-Adapter-Gold/dp/B01MT6BE2M/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1538071507&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=rca+to+bnc&th=1

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2018 at 1:47 PM Post #1,547 of 18,497
Sure, you will need two BNC to RCA converters and I use an AudioQuest RCA to 3.5mm jack convertor.

I use these convertors rather than hard wiring BNC to the jack so that my customers can still use the WAVE cable if they upgrade to a different Chord DAC.

Below are the component parts and links. These are UK web links but it should help to find the components wherever you are.

Hope it helps.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AudioQuest...070011&sr=8-3&keywords=audioquest+rca+to+jack
https://www.amazon.co.uk/VCE-5-PACK...TF8&qid=1538070100&sr=1-7&keywords=bnc+to+rca

Thanks for the info!

Sep 27, 2018 at 3:54 PM Post #1,548 of 18,497
Another round of detailed hugo2 with mscaler impressions on the hugo 2 thread if anyone is interested. The audioquest adaptor is fast becoming the goto must have 2018 accessory for hugo2/mscaler owners. I have one too. Don't you just love the 90 degree thing...lol

Hi, new member here, I used to read the Hugo 2 thread, but I don’t read it anymore.
I can’t take seeing everyone with hugo’s and silver mscalers, when I ordered black. Hopefully they land this side of pond soon, hopefully by thanksgiving as we have an event scheduled. I hope evelybody is enjoying their mscalers.

Sep 27, 2018 at 3:59 PM Post #1,549 of 18,497
Hi, new member here, I used to read the Hugo 2 thread, but I don’t read it anymore.
I can’t take seeing everyone with hugo’s and silver mscalers, when I ordered black. Hopefully they land this side of pond soon, hopefully by thanksgiving as we have an event scheduled. I hope evelybody is enjoying their mscalers.

Welcome Amberlamps. I look forward to your mscaler impressions when you get it.

Ade

Sep 27, 2018 at 4:09 PM Post #1,550 of 18,497
Welcome Amberlamps. I look forward to your mscaler impressions when you get it.

Ade

Hi apmusson, sure I will do that when it arrives. My dealer said that it would be atleast 5 weeks before they would get any. I hope it arrives by thanksgiving, if not we will have to change the name of the event.

Sep 28, 2018 at 10:47 AM Post #1,554 of 18,497
Hi folks. I am told I have the first Hugo M Scaler sold in Australia coming my way next week. It will be paired with a DAVE which I have had for around two years. I am quite excited!

The rest of my system has changed drastically over those last two years but the DAVE has always been the jewel in the crown, so to speak, and has scaled dramatically with any improvement to other components in the chain (excuse the pun).

It is so good at imaging, timing, "musicality" etc and produces such a clean and _tactile_ sound, with such excellent microdynamics that sometimes when I listen late at night I wonder how it could get better. But then my imagination steps in and with a bit of effort I can compare it to what I imagine "perfect" would sound like - especially live recordings. It will certainly be interesting to see how much better it can get! .. how much closer to "perfect".

Sep 28, 2018 at 11:41 AM Post #1,555 of 18,497
Hi folks. I am told I have the first Hugo M Scaler sold in Australia coming my way next week. It will be paired with a DAVE which I have had for around two years. I am quite excited!

The rest of my system has changed drastically over those last two years but the DAVE has always been the jewel in the crown, so to speak, and has scaled dramatically with any improvement to other components in the chain (excuse the pun).

It is so good at imaging, timing, "musicality" etc and produces such a clean and _tactile_ sound, with such excellent microdynamics that sometimes when I listen late at night I wonder how it could get better. But then my imagination steps in and with a bit of effort I can compare it to what I imagine "perfect" would sound like - especially live recordings. It will certainly be interesting to see how much better it can get! .. how much closer to "perfect".

Exciting!!!!!!

Sep 28, 2018 at 3:10 PM Post #1,557 of 18,497

Great description of the Dave sound! It describes very well my experience when I listened to my Dave for the first time two days ago. Amazing piece of engineering!
Speaking of being the first. I asked my dealer today, if he had sold many Daves, and he replied: "You are the first in this country to own one". I was shocked! Granted, Denmark is a tiny country compared to yours, but with companies like e.g. Dynaudio, Gryphon, Raidho, and Ansuz, it is not THAT small in an audio context..
My M Scaler is announced to arrive beginning of next month, so it seems that I am in the same kind of boat as yours.:beerchug:

Sep 28, 2018 at 3:24 PM Post #1,558 of 18,497
Great description of the Dave sound! It describes very well my experience when I listened to my Dave for the first time two days ago. Amazing piece of engineering!
Speaking of being the first. I asked my dealer today, if he had sold many Daves, and he replied: "You are the first in this country to own one". I was shocked! Granted, Denmark is a tiny country compared to yours, but with companies like e.g. Dynaudio, Gryphon, Raidho, and Ansuz, it is not THAT small in an audio context..
My M Scaler is announced to arrive beginning of next month, so it seems that I am in the same kind of boat as yours.:beerchug:
Actually I purchased my DAVE just over two years ago, but I ordered directly from a UK dealer as there was no Chord distributor here in Denmark at the time. I'm waiting for a black M Scaler. It will be interesting to see if we get ours from the same shipment.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2018 at 4:32 PM Post #1,559 of 18,497
Actually I purchased my DAVE just over two years ago, but I ordered directly from a UK dealer as there was no Chord distributor here in Denmark at the time. I'm waiting for a black M Scaler. It will be interesting to see if we get ours from the same shipment.
How nice, I am not alone after all.:). Ordered mine in black as well. Looking forward to knowing your first impressions.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2018 at 10:23 PM Post #1,560 of 18,497
I think i am the first anywhere to pair a hugo mscaler with a hugo2 apart from Rob and those that experimented with blu2/hugo2. For UE don't forget with the mscaler the hugo2 is fed an external 705.6kHz signal (internally it upscales 44.1kHz to 705.6 kHz WTA1 16FS without the mscaler). I think this is dramatic as it must mean internally with the mscaler 705.6kHz is multiplied 16 times in WTA1 which is then further multiplied by 256 and 2058 in WTA2 which leads to incredibly accurate transient detail being transferred which equals incredibly accurate timing of the music. Not to forget further multiplication with the noise shaper. I remember once reading that 49K Taps or 1M Taps are just simplified representations for the consumer whereas in reality it is more complex and the numbers being higher. If i'm wrong on any of these points can anyone please correct me here..

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back