Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Sep 7, 2018 at 4:18 PM Post #1,096 of 18,621
I’m currently running in a new Sablon Reserva Elite USB cable that I’ve got on loan for a few days. I’ll probably leave until tomorrow before I have a proper listen but already the signs are that it will improve on both the 20cm Curious and 70cm Lush cables that I have as options for connecting my tX-USBultra to my Blu2.

I will refrain from saying these cables are technically better than a standard fully compliant cable, which I am assuming the cable that came with my DAVE is an example of, because I have neither the technical knowledge nor the means to measure to be able to back this up. I also do not have the ideal setup Rob Watts promotes for best sound quality of battery-driven laptop, simple fully compliant USB cable and DAVE (with or without Blu2). I will just say that I can hear a very clear difference between these cables in my system and that for me they sound better (in different ways) than the USB cable that came with my DAVE.

I am also a fan of improving the quality of power supplies whenever possible (and affordable). I’ve been lucky enough to take over a cancelled order for a Paul Hynes SR7 and once I’ve finalised the spec with Paul I should receive early in the New Year. I didn’t take up this order with the Mscaler in mind, which I shall be trading my Blu 2 in for (and for a Hugo TT2), but you can bet I will be trying the SR7 with it when I can. I’m sure the smps Rob has found to partner the Mscaler is very good (the pairing certainly sounded very good at CanJam) and I might find that the SR7 cannot do anything more for the Mscaler, but I’ve just got to hear for myself. In fact, I’ve already got a Paul Hynes SR4 that should power the Mscaler just fine at 12v, so I can try that as soon as I get tne Mscaler. Most of us are audiophiles after all and many will have accumulated over the years a selection of cables and even power supplies, and we are going to try them. It’s just the nature of the beast.
Great to hear you're doing some tests of your own. Look forward to your results. I've been curious about the Curious cable; to hear some independent opinions before trying. Not familiar with the new loaner cable you mentioned. Must look it up.

Sep 7, 2018 at 5:12 PM Post #1,098 of 18,621
I liked your original post aimed at me better...

Awww, you sure do know how to make a guy blush! I think you're great too!

Yeah, just calling it out.

Sep 7, 2018 at 10:03 PM Post #1,099 of 18,621
@Rob Watts

I hope the 2 queries here help future users of mscaler and hugo 2/TT2 owners.

1) With hugo2's 4 filters i understand the 16fs red and orange filters place less emphasis on timing followed by green hf roll off and finally the white filter with the greatest timing accuracy. Does this mean when using the mscaler with hugo 2 one should always utilise the white filter when you take into account the mscaler's own emphasis on transient response and timing. Or do i misunderstand and any of the 4 filters is okay to use with the mscaler? I would be grateful if you could explain the mechanism at work here. (i understand TT2 uses the same 4 filters as H2 so TT2 owners should be interested here.) If using the orange/red filters i'm wondering if the less accurate timing might prevent or mask the full prowess of the mscaler.

2) Simple point. When connecting hugo 2 to the mscaler does it make any difference in using a good quality twin rca to 3.5mm adaptor vs a twin rca to 3.5mm good quality cable?

many thanks mk.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2018 at 1:28 AM Post #1,100 of 18,621
I’m currently running in a new Sablon Reserva Elite USB cable that I’ve got on loan for a few days. I’ll probably leave until tomorrow before I have a proper listen but already the signs are that it will improve on both the 20cm Curious and 70cm Lush cables that I have as options for connecting my tX-USBultra to my Blu2.

I will refrain from saying these cables are technically better than a standard fully compliant cable, which I am assuming the cable that came with my DAVE is an example of, because I have neither the technical knowledge nor the means to measure to be able to back this up. I also do not have the ideal setup Rob Watts promotes for best sound quality of battery-driven laptop, simple fully compliant USB cable and DAVE (with or without Blu2). I will just say that I can hear a very clear difference between these cables in my system and that for me they sound better (in different ways) than the USB cable that came with my DAVE.

I am also a fan of improving the quality of power supplies whenever possible (and affordable). I’ve been lucky enough to take over a cancelled order for a Paul Hynes SR7 and once I’ve finalised the spec with Paul I should receive early in the New Year. I didn’t take up this order with the Mscaler in mind, which I shall be trading my Blu 2 in for (and for a Hugo TT2), but you can bet I will be trying the SR7 with it when I can. I’m sure the smps Rob has found to partner the Mscaler is very good (the pairing certainly sounded very good at CanJam) and I might find that the SR7 cannot do anything more for the Mscaler, but I’ve just got to hear for myself. In fact, I’ve already got a Paul Hynes SR4 that should power the Mscaler just fine at 12v, so I can try that as soon as I get tne Mscaler. Most of us are audiophiles after all and many will have accumulated over the years a selection of cables and even power supplies, and we are going to try them. It’s just the nature of the beast.
As audiophiles we are conditioned to think switching power supply’s are inferior. I recently asked my Bell Labs friend for some insight
“Some really well designed switching supplies are better than more linear supplies. The new designs, new caps, and new transformers have made a big difference. The fact that the recharge rate of the caps is at a much higher frequency helps with ripple and line conducted noise. So the only trick is to prevent HF radiation which is well understood now.”

Sep 8, 2018 at 4:57 AM Post #1,101 of 18,621
As audiophiles we are conditioned to think switching power supply’s are inferior. I recently asked my Bell Labs friend for some insight
“Some really well designed switching supplies are better than more linear supplies. The new designs, new caps, and new transformers have made a big difference. The fact that the recharge rate of the caps is at a much higher frequency helps with ripple and line conducted noise. So the only trick is to prevent HF radiation which is well understood now.”
Thanks for sharing that. I think we all accept that Rob would certainly not design and prepare for release an Mscaler that came with a power supply that was merely ok. As I said, I’m prepared to find that a 2-rail double-regulated Paul Hynes SR7 does not improve on the Mscaler’s smps.

Even if the Mscaler comes out in time for me to try with my SR4 before finalising the order for the SR7 and I find it does nothing for the Mscaler, I will still get the SR7 because there might not be another opportunity to buy one. Paul Hynes stopped taking new orders for the SR7 several months ago, and while he is currently exploring options for outsourcing production of these, it is far from certain when and indeed if this will happen. Even if the SR7 did nothing for the Mscaler, it will certainly (based on other’s feedback) raise further the performance of my tX-U and will also do much to maximise the performance of an SOtM reference clock that I am also looking at getting.

Sep 8, 2018 at 7:57 AM Post #1,102 of 18,621
@Rob Watts - do you have any visibility of when the first back of Chord Andy's (sorry, Hugo M-Scalers) will be dispatched? Are we talking weeks or months? The last I heard from my dealer in Bristol was 'Autumn'.

Question open to anyone else who might have heard something more specific from their local dealer.

Sep 8, 2018 at 8:22 AM Post #1,103 of 18,621
@Rob Watts - do you have any visibility of when the first back of Chord Andy's (sorry, Hugo M-Scalers) will be dispatched? Are we talking weeks or months? The last I heard from my dealer in Bristol was 'Autumn'.

Question open to anyone else who might have heard something more specific from their local dealer.

You might be better asking John Franks as Rob has nothing to do with production.

Sep 8, 2018 at 2:21 PM Post #1,104 of 18,621
Sep 9, 2018 at 2:15 AM Post #1,105 of 18,621
@Rob Watts

I hope the 2 queries here help future users of mscaler and hugo 2/TT2 owners.

1) With hugo2's 4 filters i understand the 16fs red and orange filters place less emphasis on timing followed by green hf roll off and finally the white filter with the greatest timing accuracy. Does this mean when using the mscaler with hugo 2 one should always utilise the white filter when you take into account the mscaler's own emphasis on transient response and timing. Or do i misunderstand and any of the 4 filters is okay to use with the mscaler? I would be grateful if you could explain the mechanism at work here. (i understand TT2 uses the same 4 filters as H2 so TT2 owners should be interested here.) If using the orange/red filters i'm wondering if the less accurate timing might prevent or mask the full prowess of the mscaler.

2) Simple point. When connecting hugo 2 to the mscaler does it make any difference in using a good quality twin rca to 3.5mm adaptor vs a twin rca to 3.5mm good quality cable?

many thanks mk.

The HF filter options for Hugo TT2 and Hugo 2 has no bearing on whether the M scaler is used or not, as we are trying to remove the HF ADC noise and distortion that is present on the recording itself; so this is unaffected by the M scaler. Also, switching in or out the WTA 2, which takes you from 16FS to 256FS, should have no effect on the improvements offered by the M scaler - as the M scaler improves the accuracy from 1FS to 16FS.

I have been told things are too plan.

You might be better asking John Franks as Rob has nothing to do with production.

Agreed - and I am in Bangkok at the moment doing events!

Agreed - this covers my understanding.

I would add that the Autumn delivery was intentionally vague - not because of production slippages, but it takes some months for products to leave Maidstone, get to the various markets, fulfil outstanding orders, ship to dealers, then ship to customers, then allow stocks to build up to levels that will satisfy all dealers, as demand has been incredibly strong.

Sep 9, 2018 at 2:21 AM Post #1,107 of 18,621
Hi Rob,

Have a great time in Thailand in between events!!

Sep 11, 2018 at 11:35 AM Post #1,110 of 18,621
I spoke to soon, got a letter on the Wednesday for a disciplinary on the Thursday and they sacked me! !I've given nearly half my life to that company and they sack me because my boss got Stefan the witness to change his statement, so I've asked for the original statements that the night leader did on the night and he said Stefan never said anything incriminating against me in the original statement, under the freedom information act anything with my name on I'm entitled to see, so moral of the story is my hugo TT 2 is on hold, I owe 500 quid to nintronics before I can have it, need to email Roger to say I'll have to wait til I'm settled in a job, nightmare !!!You might not see much of me now unless you bump into me in the under a tenner in ears thread

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back