Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Feb 18, 2022 at 1:05 PM Post #14,911 of 18,495
…and I think that if I were buying DAVE I would want to wait until the rumoured 5M tap "Choral Range" M Scaler appears…
Rob's hinted over in his thread that it won't necessarily have more taps, but rather an improved filter/algorithm. Might end up being both, who knows.

Feb 18, 2022 at 1:22 PM Post #14,913 of 18,495
Rob's hinted over in his thread that it won't necessarily have more taps, but rather an improved filter/algorithm. Might end up being both, who knows.
2m Taps and improved filter/algorithm in a Choral case. If I’m correct I get a free one…. don’t I Rob…?? 🤪

Feb 18, 2022 at 4:21 PM Post #14,914 of 18,495
Feb 18, 2022 at 4:34 PM Post #14,915 of 18,495
@dcp10, you should definitely hear a deeper and more detailed bass if you add an M Scaler to either the TT2 or the DAVE
Thank you for this - and I think I can now confirm this following tonight's listening tests.

Some of you might be tired of opera by now, so tonight it was ballet: Ravel's sublime Daphnis et Chloë: the complete performance with Charles Dutoit and the Montreal Symphony Orchestra - surely one of the most-exquisitely-recorded works ever? And arguably the longest "track" ever: yes, this 55 minute recording has but a single track…

I listened to the entire work, dipping back and forth between the bare Dave (what a horrid user interface this hulk has!) and the HMS/TT2 combo ("mTT2"). For what it's worth, here are my thoughts:
  • mTT2 has a soundstage that's broader, deeper and taller (!) than DAVE.
  • mTT2 holds the music together during climaxes, whilst DAVE begins to sound coarse.
  • mTT2 sounds smoother and less fatiguing.
  • DAVE has a more "etched" sound, a bit like an over-sharpened digital picture: exaggerated edges.
  • DAVE seemed to have punchier bass - but on closer listening, this was an illusion; mTT2 bass was much broader and deeper - so much so, that in a few places I could almost feel the bass (which, given that I was wearing headphones, was really saying something).
About half-way through I simply gave up listening to the bare DAVE and settled down to wallow in the glorious musicality of the mTT2 combo…

And then I fell asleep listening to "Bolero" (but then, who doesn't? :wink:

Attachments

• IMG_1068.jpeg
    IMG_1068.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
Feb 18, 2022 at 4:38 PM Post #14,916 of 18,495
Feb 18, 2022 at 4:50 PM Post #14,917 of 18,495
Thank you for this - and I think I can now confirm this following tonight's listening tests.

Some of you might be tired of opera by now, so tonight it was ballet: Ravel's sublime Daphnis et Chloë: the complete performance with Charles Dutoit and the Montreal Symphony Orchestra - surely one of the most-exquisitely-recorded works ever? And arguably the longest "track" ever: yes, this 55 minute recording has but a single track…

I listened to the entire work, dipping back and forth between the bare Dave (what a horrid user interface this hulk has!) and the HMS/TT2 combo ("mTT2"). For what it's worth, here are my thoughts:
  • mTT2 has a soundstage that's broader, deeper and taller (!) than DAVE.
  • mTT2 holds the music together during climaxes, whilst DAVE begins to sound coarse.
  • mTT2 sounds smoother and less fatiguing.
  • DAVE has a more "etched" sound, a bit like an over-sharpened digital picture: exaggerated edges.
  • DAVE seemed to have punchier bass - but on closer listening, this was an illusion; mTT2 bass was much broader and deeper - so much so, that in a few places I could almost feel the bass (which, given that I was wearing headphones, was really saying something).
About half-way through I simply gave up listening to the bare DAVE and settled down to wallow in the glorious musicality of the mTT2 combo…

And then I fell asleep listening to "Bolero" (but then, who doesn't? :wink:
Now add the MScaler to the Dave and be prepared to be Piroutette’d in to the stratosphere….. I think you will enjoy this immensely if you liked the mTT2 pairing.

Feb 18, 2022 at 9:28 PM Post #14,918 of 18,495
I wouldn't be surprised if the Choral MScaler also has some of this new DSP EQ functionality that was introduced with Mojo2, but probably more refined.

Feb 19, 2022 at 4:27 AM Post #14,920 of 18,495
I wouldn't be surprised if the Choral MScaler also has some of this new DSP EQ functionality that was introduced with Mojo2, but probably more refined.
Configurable, manufacturer supported DSP presets would be what I would hope for. Audeze have recommended eq for many of their models; these could be supported precisely. Many users will likely have more than one pair of headphones, for which switching between presets would be very useful.

Feb 19, 2022 at 4:56 AM Post #14,921 of 18,495
@dcp10, you should definitely hear a deeper and more detailed bass if you add an M Scaler to either the TT2 or the DAVE. As far as what a proposed choral range MScaler could be nobody knows. And since no one has ever heard it, I wouldn’t wait with bated breath to find out.

My wallet's conscience screams: dont let a new HMS come out!! 😆 my HMS was just completed with Dave making it the best combo of today.. Lets not think of other gear.. but expand my music collection and enjoy 😊

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2022 at 9:11 AM Post #14,923 of 18,495
@mentalmal1 I've used batteries for m scaler and TT2. Not that particular one, but as long as it has a lower than 15v DC, you can try it.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2022 at 9:20 AM Post #14,924 of 18,495
My wallet's conscience screams: dont let a new HMS come out!! 😆 my HMS was just completed with Dave making it the best combo of today.. Lets not think of other gear.. but expand my music collection and enjoy 😊
It is not a replacement to the Hugo M scaler, maybe it will use the other BNC outputs...

Feb 19, 2022 at 9:56 AM Post #14,925 of 18,495
Hi guys, has anyone powered their TT2 and/or m Scaler with one of these?
If so, what do you think, is it better to go down this route instead of an Sbooster or Ifi Elite power lps?
Would appreciate your thoughts.
For a few days now I have been powering both the M Scaler and the Lumin streamer with a lithium battery.

I have to say that there is indeed a smoother sound. That slight brightness on the high frequencies has disappeared.

I bought a 35000mAh lithium battery. Is a real power, weighs about 2 kg.

Then inserted in an electronic door box and fixed behind the back panel. When the job is finished, you no longer see anything.

When I have to recharge it, I insert the connector that comes out of the box.

Attachments

• IMG20220217214547.jpg
    IMG20220217214547.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG20220218171618.jpg
    IMG20220218171618.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG20220219154803.jpg
    IMG20220219154803.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back