Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
May 16, 2021 at 10:00 AM Post #13,606 of 18,495
Please report on your experience, if you found it work better with your 2 channel system. But yeah, utmost respect to Rob and Chord, loved my Mojo, Hugo 2 and now TT2, enjoying it daily. I wish Dave had better output power and was able to drive headphones, then I would buy it.
Wouldn't Dave power the Utopia efficiently? I'm sure it will be only a matter of time before upgraditis hits.

May 16, 2021 at 10:03 AM Post #13,607 of 18,495
No offence intended , and probably no need to visit an ear doctor,but quite frankly the music you report you are mainly listening listen to is imho THE problem once again, NOT Mscaler!
You are not the first one here recently who reports this.
Neither Chord not Rob I guess, will like me saying this again but to hear the VERY clear benefits an Mscaler brings it helps A LOT if you listen to acoustic music.
Provided you play music which can really benefit from an Mscaler it does its job as intended.
And it is easily audible imho.
Cheers CC
Thanks bud, none taken :)
Would you (or anyone else) be familiar with let's say 3 "perfect M Scaler tunes" that could potentially make me scratch my head? I'll look them up.

Last edited:
May 16, 2021 at 10:10 AM Post #13,609 of 18,495
No offence intended , and probably no need to visit an ear doctor,but quite frankly the music you report you are mainly listening listen to is imho THE problem once again, NOT Mscaler!
You are not the first one here recently who reports this.
Neither Chord not Rob I guess, will like me saying this again but to hear the VERY clear benefits an Mscaler brings it helps A LOT if you listen to acoustic music.
Provided you play music which can really benefit from an Mscaler it does its job as intended.
And it is easily audible imho.
Cheers CC
100% agreed. The difference is very noticeable for my favourite genres such as soft jazz and classical, and It also performs well with vocals.

May 16, 2021 at 10:22 AM Post #13,611 of 18,495
Thank you for your input. I have only respect for Chord. Listening to music while working on the computer with their products (bypassed or not) is still a phenomenal experience. So much that I am getting a Qutest in the next few days to pair with my transport on my main system. I intend to move the M Scaler over there, as i have heard that many have gotten more oomph with speakers.
I can't wait to try it out!

Something you might want to try.. when i'm comparing 2 very similar versions of cable i'm working on where i've just made a minor tweak, i start off by listening to something with a lot of ambience, such as

or

Live recordings are great for this. You should pick up greater depth, more presence and the finer details. Then once i've tuned in to the differences here, move to music i like which is predominantly IDM like Autechre, Fourtet, etc, where i can then pick out the same traits. I personally find really speaker systems are always easier for critical listening as its easier to process from sensory point of view, that said the moment i pressed the magic max button on the Mscaler i was smitten... anyway you may have tried this, but it works for me :)

May 16, 2021 at 10:25 AM Post #13,612 of 18,495
Hello all
After spending 3 months with my new setup (PC -> Shunyata Alpha USB cable -> M Scaler -> TT2 -> Focal Utopia) I'm a bit saddened to say that i'm not really "hearing" it.
I’m assuming you are playing bit-perfect. I would suggest unplugging the USB cable from your PC to M-Scaler and plugging in a Toslink cable instead. The key is to disconnect all electrical connection between your PC and your headphone system here. And then if you still don’t hear a difference within a couple of days, you should sell the M-Scaler and save yourself some money. And if you can hear a difference then you can get a USB to Toslink adaptor to make sure you can get all sample rates up to 192kHz to the M-Scaler as some PCs can only output a few sample rates but not all of them.

May 16, 2021 at 10:32 AM Post #13,613 of 18,495
I’m assuming you are playing bit-perfect. I would suggest unplugging the USB cable from your PC to M-Scaler and plugging in a Toslink cable instead. The key is to disconnect all electrical connection between your PC and your headphone system here. And then if you still don’t hear a difference within a couple of days, you should sell the M-Scaler and save yourself some money. And if you can hear a difference then you can get a USB to Toslink adaptor to make sure you can get all sample rates up to 192kHz to the M-Scaler as some PCs can only output a few sample rates but not all of them.
Thanks so much. I don't think my PC has Toslink out, but at least you gave me a good reason to check. And while i'm down there, maybe clean some dust! :)

May 16, 2021 at 10:33 AM Post #13,614 of 18,495
Something you might want to try.. when i'm comparing 2 very similar versions of cable i'm working on where i've just made a minor tweak, i start off by listening to something with a lot of ambience, such as

or

Live recordings are great for this. You should pick up greater depth, more presence and the finer details. Then once i've tuned in to the differences here, move to music i like which is predominantly IDM like Autechre, Fourtet, etc, where i can then pick out the same traits. I personally find really speaker systems are always easier for critical listening as its easier to process from sensory point of view, that said the moment i pressed the magic max button on the Mscaler i was smitten... anyway you may have tried this, but it works for me :)

Looking forward to trying these out. Much appreciated.

May 16, 2021 at 10:35 AM Post #13,615 of 18,495
Wouldn't Dave power the Utopia efficiently? I'm sure it will be only a matter of time before upgraditis hits.
Utopia yes, DAVE+Utopia is my local dealer's most favourite pairing actually. But for AB-1266 DAVE is not powerful enough I am afraid.

May 16, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #13,616 of 18,495
Headphones, speakers or both?
Sorry I only use the M-Scaler in my desktop headphone setup. Please refer to my signature for headphones I am using.

May 16, 2021 at 10:52 AM Post #13,617 of 18,495
Thanks so much. I don't think my PC has Toslink out, but at least you gave me a good reason to check. And while i'm down there, maybe clean some dust! :)
And your M-Scaler and TT2 come with toslink cables I think. I’d be surprised if your PC doesn’t have Toslink out as most motherboards do. The bigger problem is that the driver often only supports say 44.1kHz and then maybe 48kHz and 96kHz. And you have to make sure your playback software is bit perfect off the Toslink output too.

May 16, 2021 at 11:06 AM Post #13,618 of 18,495

or

Both sounded amazing through the TT2. Thanks for posting them. But again- just about identical in SQ with/without M Scaler. I don't think i could possibly pass a blind test on what was "better".
Gonna move the Scaler to main system with speakers over the next few days (it's a holiday here and i'm still waiting to get the Qutest). Hope to fall in love with the Scaler then.

Last edited:
May 16, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #13,620 of 18,495
- just about identical in SQ with/without M Scaler. I don't think i could possibly pass a blind test on what was "better".
Same here.
People talk about 'game changer' and such.
I couldn't hear any difference, and boy did I try. Placebo was on MScaler's side, I wanted to hear a difference. But there was none. (to my ears)
towing the speakers a couple of mm makes a clear difference, but not the MScaler.
Maybe our brain wiring is different who knows..

Users who are viewing this thread

• Vyyy
Back