Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Apr 25, 2021 at 3:50 PM Post #13,366 of 18,495
I have the WA33 and a DAVE. I think the m-scaler is 25% better. It’s worth it to me. But a usb reclocker and/or streamer also has like a 25% improvement too. I’d get the m-scaler first, and then good bnc cables. After that you can add a streamer/reclocker to your chain :L3000:

Since you have the setup I someday want I was wondering if you could comment on the percentage difference between my current headphones HE100se and the ones I'm wanting 1266 TC? Is that change a bigger or smaller difference than adding the m-scaler to my current setup? Thanks!

Apr 25, 2021 at 4:03 PM Post #13,367 of 18,495
Since you have the setup I someday want I was wondering if you could comment on the percentage difference between my current headphones HE100se and the ones I'm wanting 1266 TC? Is that change a bigger or smaller difference than adding the m-scaler to my current setup? Thanks!
Depends on your headphone amp. If you have a powerful enough headphone amp, the 1266 TC is probably a 40% increase (it's crazy how good the TCs are). If you don't have a powerful enough headphone amp, the HE1000se is the better bet. I'd actually get the TCs and an appropriate headphone amp before the the m-scaler.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2021 at 4:17 PM Post #13,368 of 18,495
Depends on your headphone amp. If you have a powerful enough headphone amp, the 1266 TC is probably a 40% increase (it's crazy how good the TCs are). If you don't have a powerful enough headphone amp, the HE1000se is the better bet. I'd actually get the TCs and an appropriate headphone amp before the the m-scaler.

Great, really appreciate the advice. I have the WA33 standard.

Apr 25, 2021 at 4:18 PM Post #13,369 of 18,495
Makes sense to look into what kind of music genre works well with m-scaler, to see how much can it add. I for one listen to EDM and countless of m-scaler owners told me that they would think twice before buying m-scaler if they were only listening to EDM. However, since they enjoy classical, it was a no brainer.

Apr 26, 2021 at 6:49 PM Post #13,371 of 18,495
Tom Waits, Real Gone (album) sounds great, lots of depth. A mix of songs but all interesting.

Apr 27, 2021 at 12:24 AM Post #13,375 of 18,495
I wonder why DAVE and TT2 have dBNC outputs. Digital amp does not need a DAC. Owner of a good DAC does not need a digital amp.

Whilst the Mscaler can transmit volume information and can be connected direct to one of the promised digital amps without a dac, if one uses a digital power amp without the Mscaler then the Dave or TT2 would still be needed as a volume control.

Also if using a power amp then one would also plug headphones direct into the Dave or TT2 because the power amp would not necessarily have a headphone output (similar to how analogue power amps do not have headphone outputs) and that is another reason to retain the Dave or TT2

However an integrated digital amp would have a volume control and headphone outlets.

All this is just my recollection from what I have read and remember that anyway the digital amps may (or may not) be ages away from being an actual product so it is just speculation.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2021 at 5:34 AM Post #13,376 of 18,495
So when digital amps are out we all are supposed to sell TT2/Dave and use M Scaler directly to the amps ?
I'm wondering how Chord will approach this situation.
From the information available here on forum it seems like middle unit (tt2/dave) is going to be redundant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back