Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Feb 27, 2021 at 5:30 PM Post #12,856 of 18,533
Oh will you shut up about the DAVE being better than the TT2/M-Scaler... 🤣

In all seriousness, the TT2 works great for me with my speakers and with my headphones. I'm not sure if the DAVE would work as well directly into active speakers.
If the speakers are active and have their own amp the surely it should be better, shouldn’t it?

Feb 27, 2021 at 5:35 PM Post #12,857 of 18,533
If the speakers are active and have their own amp the surely it should be better, shouldn’t it?
Oh for crying out loud...

Feb 27, 2021 at 5:38 PM Post #12,858 of 18,533
Oh for crying out loud...
? You stated “in all seriousness” so I can only assume you are being serious. If so, considering “active” speakers are powered by their built in amplifiers I don’t understand why the Dave (if it does actually sound better than the HTT2/HMS combo) should have an issue with your speakers.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2021 at 5:46 PM Post #12,859 of 18,533
? You stated “in all seriousness” so I can only assume you are being serious. If so, considering “active” speakers are powered by their built in amplifiers I don’t understand why the Dave (if it does actually sound better than the HTT2/HMS combo) should have an issue with your speakers.
"Oh for crying out loud" is just an expression and it was meant to be in humour... I thought I could get away with not using an emoji. :wink:

Any more comments like this and I'll end up trying a DAVE...

Feb 27, 2021 at 5:47 PM Post #12,860 of 18,533
"Oh for crying out loud" is just an expression and it was meant to be in humour... I thought I could get away with not using an emoji. :wink:

Any more comments like this and I'll end up trying a DAVE...
Sorry it’s late here and my brain is running slower than usual. I’ve heard the Dave with active speakers is exceptional...... 😜🤣🤣🤣

Feb 27, 2021 at 5:49 PM Post #12,861 of 18,533
OK. The M Scaler is going back. It robs from the DAVE in my set up. I'm not crazy. After hours of listening, it is SO clear that the M Scaler upscales the sound in a plastic way for me. Susvara hears it and doesn't let it get away with it. I don't know.

If I were running TT2 and powering Susvara with internal amp, maybe that would be fine with M Scaler. But with my setup, the M Scaler robs the sound when paired with DAVE and even the TT2.

Sinnerman is the revealing track that makes all the truth bold and known for me. Nina's vocals. The harsh claps. The drums. The bass. The piano. The vocals are most noticeably sacrificed. It doesn't hit and pierce like it should. M Scaler veils it. Makes the track sound like it is wrapped in plastic wrap.

DAVE KILLS IT. Solo. And makes the track shine in a way I've never heard before.

It actually makes all tracks shine, and the negative effects of the M Scaler aren't always heard, and there are benefits for sure on low res tracks. But those are marginal most of the time. I don't think this is worth it and will be selling one if anyone wants to buy.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2021 at 5:51 PM Post #12,862 of 18,533
OK. The M Scaler is going back. It robs from the DAVE in my set up. I'm not crazy. After hours of listening, it is SO clear that the M Scaler upscales the sound in a plastic way for me. Susvara hears it and doesn't let it get away with it. I don't know.

If I were running TT2 and powering Susvara with internal amp, maybe that would be fine with M Scaler. But with my setup, the M Scaler robs the sound when paired with DAVE and even the TT2.

Sinnerman is the revealing track that makes all the truth bold and known for me. Nina's vocals. The harsh claps. The drums. The bass. The piano.

DAVE KILLS IT. Solo. And makes the track shine in a way I've never heard before.
That's an interesting outcome.

Let's face facts - you're not exactly slumming it with the DAVE. :wink: :thumbsup:

Feb 27, 2021 at 5:52 PM Post #12,863 of 18,533
Sorry it’s late here and my brain is running slower than usual. I’ve heard the Dave with active speakers is exceptional...... 😜🤣🤣🤣
OH FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!!!!

:wink:

Feb 27, 2021 at 6:10 PM Post #12,864 of 18,533
DAVE 2 needs to have a full million taps on board along with the output stage of TT2 or better. Those would sell like hotcakes, even at the price of something like the DCS Bartok.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2021 at 6:11 PM Post #12,865 of 18,533

Sinnerman is the revealing track that makes all the truth bold and known for me. Nina's vocals. The harsh claps. The drums. The bass. The piano. The vocals are the most noticeably sacrificed. It doesn't hit and pierce like it should. M Scaler veils it. Makes the track sound like it is wrapped in plastic wrap.

It actually makes all tracks shine, and the negative effects of the M Scaler aren't always heard, and there are benefits for sure on low res tracks. But those are marginal most of the time. I don't think this is worth it and will be selling one if anyone wants to buy.
I really wouldn’t be hasty about getting rid of it. My Romanian friend hated it at first and returned it but after reading more about how good it was supposed to be and listening again (I think with WAVE cables at his dealer) purchased again and switched to an optical cable. He had WAVE cables on order (don’t know if he’s received them) but he’s keeping the M-Scaler. Really, if you can borrow a battery to try it might be worth it.

Feb 27, 2021 at 6:13 PM Post #12,866 of 18,533
Some people have commented on how the music seems slower with the MScaler, I wonder if that's what you're hearing.

Also, have we ruled out that you have a defective MScaler? Can you try another unit? This is a piece of electronic gear and my TT2 is back in service for the second time...so it's not unheard of.

Feb 27, 2021 at 7:58 PM Post #12,867 of 18,533
Okay, so there is a definite uptick in quality among lower res files on Tidal and Qobuz. It essentially sounds like it is taking these lower res tracks and getting them to high-res quality. It sounds impressive.

On tracks that are already high-res, the improvement is marginal. The biggest difference is how instruments are affected. Classical music and jazz are most noticeably affected for the better. Wider stage, extension, speed and air that isn't quite there without the M Scaler.

I think the DAVE just takes what I already confirmed on the TT2 with M Scaler and confirms that the M Scaler works best on low res files and offers pretty minor improvements on anything else.

Again, on my setup at least. Not sure the M Scaler is worth keeping to me. I'm going to listen to music with it for the next week and then take it away from my chain to see how much it affects the sound.

No worries, mscaler 2.0 / 2.5 @ 24kbs will be coming to us all, soon.

P.S

Dont believe what I just wrote.

Feb 27, 2021 at 8:19 PM Post #12,868 of 18,533

Sinnerman is the revealing track that makes all the truth bold and known for me. Nina's vocals. The harsh claps. The drums. The bass. The piano. The vocals are most noticeably sacrificed. It doesn't hit and pierce like it should. M Scaler veils it. Makes the track sound like it is wrapped in plastic wrap.

No idea, but that sounds like you may have RFI. Or at least folk say once RFI is removed from M-Scaler > DAC setup, then instruments and timbre become more real.

No idea though. I don't know what your system is and I don't have the M-Scaler.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2021 at 8:41 PM Post #12,869 of 18,533
Some people have commented on how the music seems slower with the MScaler, I wonder if that's what you're hearing.

Also, have we ruled out that you have a defective MScaler? Can you try another unit? This is a piece of electronic gear and my TT2 is back in service for the second time...so it's not unheard of.

THIS.

Will report back once I have used another M Scaler.

I highly doubt a used unit will reveal something unheard in a new, but I will report back....

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2021 at 8:53 PM Post #12,870 of 18,533
THIS.

Will report back once I have used another M Scaler.

I highly doubt a used unit will reveal something unheard in a new, but I will report back....
What about trying an opto dx and separating the Dave/tt2/mscaler physically by 2 meters as well as electrically separating them (by using optical).... you could possibly get one on trial from Canada....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back