Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Sep 13, 2018 at 4:28 PM Post #1,186 of 18,627
While I’m on a roll, I just noticed that I had an email in my junk folder from my dealer telling me my M Scaler is in! I’ve been reading everyone’s posts all afternoon thinking “I’m sure mine will turn up soon”. Now, I’m going to need some sort of adapter to use with my H2 until my TT 2 arrives. I was expecting that to come in first! I’m sure someone has posted somewhere in this thread a link to something that would work. Oh well, time to reread...

https://www.moon-audio.com/black-mini-coax-hugo-2-hugo-m-scaler.html

Sep 13, 2018 at 4:31 PM Post #1,187 of 18,627
Actually it's a very good sign that those that take a backseat and read and listen carefully and only contribute with solid additions to the dialogue!! A low post count is good then.....:L3000:

upload_2018-9-13_21-30-19.jpeg

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2018 at 4:32 PM Post #1,188 of 18,627
Tony: stock bnc cables 2 lots of which included. Twin rca to 3.5mm cable. 2 bnc to rca adaptors. PM if you need pointing in the right direction.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2018 at 4:33 PM Post #1,189 of 18,627
Sep 13, 2018 at 7:37 PM Post #1,193 of 18,627
Chord,

The M Scaler owner's manual (PDF on your website) does not seem to discuss functions of of the DX OP, DX Down, or DX Up buttons. The manual says to "Refer to partnering in product manual" but I don't see a "partnering" section. Thanks

Those are for future DX amps, not something that is out yet.

Sep 13, 2018 at 7:54 PM Post #1,195 of 18,627
Thanks dac64,
Will go ahead with HQplayer as it is good to have plenty of options to try out when the mScaler lands.
Cheers
Tao8

MScaler works best given native PCM files. According to the author and his followers, HQPlayer is an upscaler that works best in DSD conversion output mode.

Given my own experience and testing, HQPlayer in native mode, meaning no upsampling/conversion turned on, does not process micro-signals well so the ambience and timbre is confused at best or missing at worst. Roon is the best music player in native mode for my Chord DAVE source chain at least. Of course YMMV and probably will. Just relaying my experience.

Regards
GG

Sep 13, 2018 at 9:14 PM Post #1,196 of 18,627
I am a bit surprised how many Qutest or Hugo 2 owners are choosing the M Scaler over an upgrade to the TT 2 first. It's an interesting decision to make.

If I could rebuild my system, I will!

I am into this hobby for decades, and have been collected many junks. So, it is mission impossible!

The two are simple, concise and elegant, especially driven the speakers directly via the dac.

Very British style!

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2018 at 3:19 AM Post #1,197 of 18,627
I am agonising over my Mscaler order. Not over when it will arrive (I ordered mine just after CanJam so should be very soon) but whether I should go through with it.

I have on loan a USB cable that I have to return after the weekend and have been fine tuning my system to get it to its absolute best to help with the cable comparisons. I am very pleased with the progress I have made recently with the Zenith SE/tX-USBultra/Blu2/DAVE chain and had begun to think I had closed the gap to CD playing on the Blu2 to the point where differences were too small to worry about. Wrong. Playing a couple of CDs yesterday brought me back to reality. Yes, the differences were smaller than they once were but those differences still registered as important, particularly with complex music.

I have still to explore the reference clock option for the tX-USBultra, and my Paul Hynes SR7 is still a few months away, but I have to think that any further improvements those changes might bring will still be limited by the Zenith.

The thing is I don't play CDs that often. I have a large collection but it is stored away in another room and not conveniently accessible for regular ad hoc playing. At least 95% of my listening is done playing from the ripped files on the Zenith. But if I trade-in the Blu2 I think it might feel like I've taken a backward step. But then again I want to get rid of all those ferrites on the BNC cables (would actually like to get shorter cables) and I do worry about how hot the Blu2 gets. What to do, what to do?

Sep 14, 2018 at 3:32 AM Post #1,198 of 18,627
MScaler works best given native PCM files. According to the author and his followers, HQPlayer is an upscaler that works best in DSD conversion output mode.

Given my own experience and testing, HQPlayer in native mode, meaning no upsampling/conversion turned on, does not process micro-signals well so the ambience and timbre is confused at best or missing at worst. Roon is the best music player in native mode for my Chord DAVE source chain at least. Of course YMMV and probably will. Just relaying my experience.

Regards
GG
Thanks GG,
Hopefully the earlier than expected delivery of mScalers will also spread out into earlier international shipments as well and so either way it does make sense to just wait and trial it all then. It also makes sense to leave everything in native for the mscaler to unpack.

I am really looking forward to the next few days as the initial delivery of units rolls out and the early reports of just how the mscaler sounds get posted.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2018 at 3:33 AM Post #1,199 of 18,627
I am agonising over my Mscaler order. Not over when it will arrive (I ordered mine just after CanJam so should be very soon) but whether I should go through with it.

I have on loan a USB cable that I have to return after the weekend and have been fine tuning my system to get it to its absolute best to help with the cable comparisons. I am very pleased with the progress I have made recently with the Zenith SE/tX-USBultra/Blu2/DAVE chain and had begun to think I had closed the gap to CD playing on the Blu2 to the point where differences were too small to worry about. Wrong. Playing a couple of CDs yesterday brought me back to reality. Yes, the differences were smaller than they once were but those differences still registered as important, particularly with complex music.

I have still to explore the reference clock option for the tX-USBultra, and my Paul Hynes SR7 is still a few months away, but I have to think that any further improvements those changes might bring will still be limited by the Zenith.

The thing is I don't play CDs that often. I have a large collection but it is stored away in another room and not conveniently accessible for regular ad hoc playing. At least 95% of my listening is done playing from the ripped files on the Zenith. But if I trade-in the Blu2 I think it might feel like I've taken a backward step. But then again I want to get rid of all those ferrites on the BNC cables (would actually like to get shorter cables) and I do worry about how hot the Blu2 gets. What to do, what to do?

I will try to help after I have had a play with the MScaler arriving today. Just on the heat aspect, if the MScaler in the Blu2 and HMScaler are the same (which they are) then won’t they both get just as hot?

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2018 at 3:39 AM Post #1,200 of 18,627

I had a Blu2 on test and I compared my ripped files to the same CD. I tested with Dave and the TX USB ultra.
I did not hear any difference switching back and forth, so did not go any further, in essence I used the Blu2 as a way of testing my file playing system setup.
I have experienced differences in USB cables and also file ripping software, perhaps if I may suggest you try some different ripped files of a CD using different software perhaps it may surprise you, I also found network noise so isolated my music server. I use a Paul Hynes power supply and a new SR7 double railed on its way shorty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back