Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jul 2, 2020 at 1:12 PM Post #11,536 of 18,478
Just turn them down and get used to it again. It's surprising sometimes how much we have turned headphones up.

One way of judging noise I use is by clicking my fingers. If I can't hear that reasonably, the music is too loud.

As a guide they say you should never turn music up to compensate for background noise.
It is interesting to read about volume. When I added higher quality cables, I moved from volume 6 on my tube amp down to 3 to 4 more often than not.

Jul 4, 2020 at 7:41 PM Post #11,537 of 18,478
I am using UAPP (USB Audio Player). It seems DSD needs to be in DoP format rather than native DSD to play on the HSM. Is this correct, or can the HSM play native DSD directly?

Jul 5, 2020 at 6:29 AM Post #11,538 of 18,478
Hi guys.

I'm just starting to read more about Chord products, specifically the TT2 & the M Scaler. I know it's advised to pair these together, but i know the M Scaler can be used with other DAC's. I have the Sony TA-ZH1ES Headphone Amplifier / DAC & was wondering if anyone has used the M Scaler with this device ?
My thoughts were to buy the TT2 first, then buy the M Scaler at a later date, but now wondering if i can take advantage of the M Scaler first. ( With my TA-ZH1ES ?? ) Thanks for any feedback.

Jul 5, 2020 at 9:16 AM Post #11,539 of 18,478
Hi guys.

I'm just starting to read more about Chord products, specifically the TT2 & the M Scaler. I know it's advised to pair these together, but i know the M Scaler can be used with other DAC's. I have the Sony TA-ZH1ES Headphone Amplifier / DAC & was wondering if anyone has used the M Scaler with this device ?
My thoughts were to buy the TT2 first, then buy the M Scaler at a later date, but now wondering if i can take advantage of the M Scaler first. ( With my TA-ZH1ES ?? ) Thanks for any feedback.

I have the Sony and loved it until I got a TT2.

The difference is quite marked and theTT2 creates an altogether finer more detailed presentation. The Sony is, however, IMO under rated. I have had it 2+ years and with my Focal Utopia's it was always awesome. I found it a bit too bright for my Grado's though thus looked and ultimately got the TT2 (which makes all of my headphones sound great).

I have an MScaler on loan and have had for a week - on the TT2 the difference is not huge but you can hear it with vocals and individual instruments especially .... they almost appear as the soloist is actually in the room - a bit cliche I know, but the nearest I can explain it, as it really does add that tiny extra bite to vocals and make them feel special.

In respect of the MS and Sony amp I've just had a listen via Optical from the MS to the Sony and the difference is far greater than when used with the TT2. I would say it improves the Sony by maybe 30% in terms of a finer, clearer experience.

If detail is lost in 'fog' then the MS clears up a lot more IMO with the Sony than the TT2 .... but the TT2 is awesome on it's own and adding the MS whilst it does make it truly superb is more into the law of diminishing returns big time.

You would not be disappointed adding an MS to the Sony but the TT2 is, in itself, a fair bit better than the Sony in terms of finer reproduction of sound.

Jul 5, 2020 at 9:54 AM Post #11,540 of 18,478
I have the Sony and loved it until I got a TT2.

The difference is quite marked and theTT2 creates an altogether finer more detailed presentation. The Sony is, however, IMO under rated. I have had it 2+ years and with my Focal Utopia's it was always awesome. I found it a bit too bright for my Grado's though thus looked and ultimately got the TT2 (which makes all of my headphones sound great).

I have an MScaler on loan and have had for a week - on the TT2 the difference is not huge but you can hear it with vocals and individual instruments especially .... they almost appear as the soloist is actually in the room - a bit cliche I know, but the nearest I can explain it, as it really does add that tiny extra bite to vocals and make them feel special.

In respect of the MS and Sony amp I've just had a listen via Optical from the MS to the Sony and the difference is far greater than when used with the TT2. I would say it improves the Sony by maybe 30% in terms of a finer, clearer experience.

If detail is lost in 'fog' then the MS clears up a lot more IMO with the Sony than the TT2 .... but the TT2 is awesome on it's own and adding the MS whilst it does make it truly superb is more into the law of diminishing returns big time.

You would not be disappointed adding an MS to the Sony but the TT2 is, in itself, a fair bit better than the Sony in terms of finer reproduction of sound.

Thanks for that feedback. It's most helpful & at the same time, still need some thought to go with the M Scaler for now, to add to my Sony TA, or just go with the TT2 for now & then decide to get the M Scaler at a later date....either way, it looks like i'm going to hear significant improvement, than my standalone TA.
What's your thoughts on no DSD on the Chord products, i.e. converting to PCM, if i've got that correct ??

Just to add, i've not been enjoying my TA / MDR-Z1R combo so much lately, which is odd, when they're supposed to be designed for one another !....but i do love my TA with speaker usage.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2020 at 10:11 AM Post #11,541 of 18,478
Thanks for that feedback. It's most helpful & at the same time, still need some thought to go with the M Scaler for now, to add to my Sony TA, or just go with the TT2 for now & then decide to get the M Scaler at a later date....either way, it looks like i'm going to hear significant improvement, than my standalone TA.
What's your thoughts on no DSD on the Chord products, i.e. converting to PCM, if i've got that correct ??

Just to add, i've not been enjoying my TA / MDR-Z1R combo so much lately, which is odd, when they're supposed to be designed for one another !....but i do love my TA with speaker usage.

I just use Tidal with my Mac set to output a 96 as opposed to 44 1 signal so am not the best person to comment other than to say everything from the TT2 sounds a lot better than the Sony, which, as I say, I liked.

I have the Z1R and liked it with the Sony amp but they sound a lot nicer plugged into the TT2. The TT2 gets rid of a fair bit of seeming bass bloating from the Z1R compared to the Sony amp.

I would try and audition the TT2 against the Sony if possible ? I have a Hugo2 as well and preferred it's 'signature' to the Sony, thus went for the TT2 as a finer version of the Hugo2.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2020 at 10:23 AM Post #11,542 of 18,478
I just use Tidal with my Mac set to output a 96 as opposed to 44 1 signal so am not the best person to comment other than to say everything from the TT2 sounds a lot better than the Sony, which, as I say, I liked.

I have the Z1R and liked it with the Sony amp but they sound a lot nicer plugged into the TT2. The TT2 gets rid of a fair bit of seeming bass bloating from the Z1R compared to the Sony amp.

I would try and audition the TT2 against the Sony if possible ? I have a Hugo2 as well and preferred it's 'signature' to the Sony, thus went for the TT2 as a finer version of the Hugo2.
Can you please explain a bit more about how you output 96khz vs 44.1 from your Mac?

Jul 5, 2020 at 10:51 AM Post #11,544 of 18,478
It's in Audio MIDI setup. Select device as TT2 and select format as 96 Hz
Probably best to leave the output format to auto if available so it outputs the file in its native form, a lot of the sound quality from Chord DACs Is from its custom upscaling and filtering taps, already paid for them so may as well use them ... 🙂

Jul 5, 2020 at 10:52 AM Post #11,545 of 18,478
Probably best to leave the output format to auto if available so it outputs the file in its native form, a lot of the sound quality from Chord DACs Is from its custom upscaling and filtering taps, already paid for them so may as well use them ... 🙂
Yes, but I'm lazy as I try and listen to Master Audio songs and forget to change. There is no auto setting on the Mac sadly.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2020 at 1:23 PM Post #11,546 of 18,478
I am probably going to regret asking this ... and I expect it has been covered to death, but the amount of threads is difficult to search to get an answer.

How many people change the provided BNC cables (if connecting to a TT2) and of those that change what price do people pay on average ?

I have seen the price of Wave and Vetere cables which when adding to the cost of a TT2 and MSC make the kit very costly indeed - how many people have those cables here?

Jul 5, 2020 at 1:48 PM Post #11,547 of 18,478
I am probably going to regret asking this ... and I expect it has been covered to death, but the amount of threads is difficult to search to get an answer.

How many people change the provided BNC cables (if connecting to a TT2) and of those that change what price do people pay on average ?

I have seen the price of Wave and Vetere cables which when adding to the cost of a TT2 and MSC make the kit very costly indeed - how many people have those cables here?
Same question as I’ve just ordered an MScaler. (I wish there was a sub forum 😀!!.... way to many post to read through).

Jul 5, 2020 at 2:06 PM Post #11,548 of 18,478
the tt2 sounds flat and 2 dimensional without the mscaler with rbcd. of course if you've never heard the mscaler with the right recordings one could not possibly know. the mscaler adds an infinite amount of sparkle and musical energy in a manner unobtainable by any other device. once you listen to the mscaler the dac on it's own becomes unlistenable. it is audio magic based in rock solid theoretical physics and engineering principles. i am skeptical about negative or indifferent reports. i have listened thoroughly with and without. good quality recordings are important i admit for the full effect.

Jul 5, 2020 at 2:32 PM Post #11,549 of 18,478

It is unfortunate that the M Scaler needing upgraded cables to sound their best. With that said I opted to copy Rob's choice, WAVE to be "safe."

Cry once, buy once applied for me.

I used the WAVE cables' wooden box as storage for my spare/stock cables as it was just the right size.

Attachments

• 15939759223591889024965609460302.jpg
    15939759223591889024965609460302.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 15939759432924456303976451370879.jpg
    15939759432924456303976451370879.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 5, 2020 at 2:58 PM Post #11,550 of 18,478
the tt2 sounds flat and 2 dimensional without the mscaler with rbcd. of course if you've never heard the mscaler with the right recordings one could not possibly know. the mscaler adds an infinite amount of sparkle and musical energy in a manner unobtainable by any other device. once you listen to the mscaler the dac on it's own becomes unlistenable. it is audio magic based in rock solid theoretical physics and engineering principles. i am skeptical about negative or indifferent reports. i have listened thoroughly with and without. good quality recordings are important i admit for the full effect.
Serious question.
Does the mscaler improve massively over Tidal as well? Or it must be high res stuff?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back