Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Apr 19, 2020 at 3:07 AM Post #10,606 of 18,496
Apr 19, 2020 at 3:12 AM Post #10,607 of 18,496
is there any audible difference?
I’m not sure?
But the Atlas cables sure look nice!

33D8E682-AA75-4777-BEB2-8DAEC0933146.png

John Darko (above) saw Chord use them on their stand at the 2018 Rocky Mountain Audio Fest, when he interviewed Colin Pratt from Chord about the HMS.

Apr 19, 2020 at 3:19 AM Post #10,608 of 18,496
This lockdown is sending me crazy! More time than I should have to dream about DAVE! :grimacing:
Thoughts, anyone? :wink:

Apr 19, 2020 at 3:25 AM Post #10,609 of 18,496
If budget allows, just get it to kill that wonder. That wonder is painful if you can get it within budget. If out of budget, then you automatically know you can not so it is less wondering and less thinking.

Simplifying decisions is in a way an art form.

P.S. I have no idea what I just said, just get it. There is also immense joy knowing that you have an end game DAC.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2020 at 5:37 AM Post #10,610 of 18,496
I use the Atlas Mavros BNC-BNC between HMS & TT2.
A truly excellent cable. Excellent build quality, a true 75 Ohm cable, and a reasonable price to boot - about £300 for a 0.5m length.

https://www.atlascables.com/ic-digital-mavros-bnc.html

They do indeed look very nice cables, and no doubt sound good also. But what always confounds me is why manufacturers of such quality cables don't use single crystal, OCC copper (or silver, if really pushing the boat out!) as opposed to OFC copper. OCC copper wire, unlike silver, isn't too expensive and has far more efficient conductance...??? :wink:

Apr 19, 2020 at 6:16 AM Post #10,612 of 18,496
Different approach compare to blue jean digital RCA, they added another thick layer to the centre pin.

How do you secure the outer BNC contact. Pic will be appreciated.

I tried likewise many year ago but on analogue RCA. The sound was much more transparent and natural from CD.

Hi dac64.

I too got hooked on the DIY route after my £40 pair of 1.3mm pure (soft annealed) silver, threaded through teflon tubing and slightly twisted (no outer shielding!!) trounced my £300+ Artisan Silver 8x silver conductor braided ICs. But then came single crystal OCC wire - specifically Neotech's superb teflon coated versions, and now I won't even consider anything else lol.

As for the BNC connectors - thank the Gods Chord use these for the TT2 and m-scaler (rather than that wretched 3.5mm jack in Hugo2!) - I simply solder the braid shielding to the outside of the BNC's return barrel (after securing with some stranded OCC copper wire to ensure direct metal to metal contact and maintain it before/while soldering. And then sealed/reinforced with self-amalgamating rubber tape (after I personally use a little epoxy resin to secure the signal wires inside the barrel). Should be self-expalanatory, but will take some photos when I make my mk2 cables for the m-scaler...which is still under construction, and not due for 2 to 3 weeks alas :triportsad:...

Apr 19, 2020 at 9:53 AM Post #10,613 of 18,496
But what always confounds me is why manufacturers of such quality cables don't use single crystal, OCC copper (or silver, if really pushing the boat out!) as opposed to OFC copper. OCC copper wire, unlike silver, isn't too expensive and has far more efficient conductance...??? :wink:

That probably doesn't make a difference on a digital cable.

Apr 19, 2020 at 10:11 AM Post #10,614 of 18,496
Apr 19, 2020 at 11:33 AM Post #10,615 of 18,496
That probably doesn't make a difference on a digital cable.

That's what I thought before replacing one using 'plain' pure silver (soft annealed) with said OCC silver...and both I and my friend's 'reference' hearing noticed definite improvement...in my DIY cables at least. And if it's good enough for cables in the $1000 to $2000+ per metre range, it's good enough for me lol! :wink:

Apr 19, 2020 at 11:44 AM Post #10,616 of 18,496
Those are the cables I use between Dave and MScaler. Saw a photo of Chord using them in a mag so thought I’d bag a pair. Very high quality and reasonable price.
I think they’re very good quality cables.

Apr 19, 2020 at 7:22 PM Post #10,617 of 18,496
So I just got a open box Mscaler from Todd the Vinyl Junkie today to add to my recently acquired Dave. I love the sound of the Dave on its own and thought it was a big step up from the Hugo 2 to use with my Focal Utopia.

So I was sort of expecting the same wow when first listening to the mscaler as I did listening to the Dave but that wasn’t the case. I thought it seemed brighter than the Dave alone so I started testing out usb vs vs optical inputs. Not really any difference. Didn’t really want to buy any after market cables just to make it sound better than the Dave without the mscaler. So I started looking at the remote and saw the video button and noticed that it was on the whole time. As soon as I switched it off the magic happened. Ah that’s the sound everyone was talking about. Not time to enjoy :)

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2020 at 7:26 PM Post #10,618 of 18,496
So I just got a open box Mscaler from Todd the Vinyl Junkie today to add to my recently acquired Dave. I love the sound of the Dave on its own and thought it was a big step up from the Hugo 2 to use with my Focal Utopia.

So I was sort of expecting the same wow when first listening to the mscaler as I did listening to the Dave but that wasn’t the case. I thought it seemed brighter than the Dave alone so I started testing out usb vs vs optical inputs. Not really any difference. Didn’t really want to buy any after market cables just to make it sound better than the Dave without the mscaler. So I started looking at the remote and saw the video button and noticed that it was on the whole time. As soon as I switched it off the magic happened. Ah that’s the sound everyone was talking about. Now time to enjoy :)

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2020 at 7:36 PM Post #10,619 of 18,496
How did the M Scaler make the DAVE sound better if you had to put into words?

Apr 19, 2020 at 7:45 PM Post #10,620 of 18,496
How did the M Scaler make the DAVE sound better if you had to put into words?

So I got my wow moment listening to Seven Nation Army by The White Stripes. That song has that very clear guitar bass and drum start and then vocals kick in. With the mscaler it’s like you’re plugged directly into the guitar amp. Very clear. Timing of drums precise and seem to hit a little harder and the vocals more clear. Thought Dave already did pretty good depth so wasn’t hearing a big change with this song. It’s mostly you can tell the precision of everything has improved. So of like a veil was lifted. The difference is bigger on 44k albums since hires already sounded pretty amazing on the Dave.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back