Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Oct 28, 2019 at 12:00 PM Post #8,911 of 18,495
Finally caught up reading every post on this thread... A few pages ago there was some talk of harshness being introduced with the improved detail wjen adding HMS to the chain.

I just recently received a xDuoo X10T II that I started using with a cheapish Cable Matters optical mini to Toslink. Compared to just using my Note9 via OTG to USB input to HMS there was improved tightness in bass that sounds more real, vocals more real as well. However there was this indescribable harshness. I also could not play anything over 24/96. I have several 24/192 and DSD files I want to be able to play.

I then tried USB out of the X10T II and the harshness was gone. It sounds better than the Note9, but still some blur returned. Bass slightly more muddled. Right away I ordered a Lifatec optical mini to Toslink 13'. Hoping it would allow me to play the higher res files, I have nothing above 24/192 or DSD64. When it arrived I plugged it in and listened for hours. It plays all of my files without a problem with the best transparency to date and no harshness.

If you are getting this harshness try a different input to HMS or a different source. The xDuoo X10T II is only $230. I ordered it to try optical for the first time and I'm happy with it. It is a transport only, no internal DAC.

Oct 28, 2019 at 12:10 PM Post #8,912 of 18,495
I just connected HMS to another power line, the system sounds more natural and relax then HMS sharing the same outlet with Qutest. HMS probably will sounds better with PowerAdd.

Since the M Scaler is 15V, I wonder if the PP2 only providing 12V affects the sound quality

Oct 28, 2019 at 3:36 PM Post #8,914 of 18,495
Finally, I managed to get me one of these.

https://headfonics.com/2019/08/ibasso-dc01-review/

It's a 2.5mm balanced hires dac, it will come in handy for my balanced iem's, watch this, I won't notice the bloody difference between balanced and non balanced.

Oct 28, 2019 at 4:21 PM Post #8,915 of 18,495
Oct 28, 2019 at 4:23 PM Post #8,916 of 18,495
What headphones are you using? Is your gear beside a router or anything?

Here's a picture of my headphones. They are a bit heavy so for longer listening sessions I prefer to just leave them on the floor.
Joking aside. They are perhaps not the most resolving speakers out there which may be part of me not hearing the differences.
On the other hand there are less resolving speakers too and I hear other changes like different analog and digital cables, power cables etc.
And of course DAC upgrades.

https://ibb.co/Kb8qcbG

Edit: trying to embed my first picture but can't find how to do it.

Attachments

• DSC_0918.JPG
    DSC_0918.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 28, 2019 at 4:34 PM Post #8,917 of 18,495
my experience was that the TT2 made a huge leap with the mScaler vs MS/Qutest combo. That was with headphones but the space, staging, and realism went up significantly while also benefiting from the other TT2 related improvements over qutest.

Thanks, that's good to know. I was debating whether to buy the M Scaler or TT2 first. TT2 might have been a better first upgrade.
But I'll listen more to the M Scaler and try to find the magic.

Oct 28, 2019 at 4:37 PM Post #8,918 of 18,495
I have HMS and Qutest too! Try some percussion music. The instruments sounded real with HMS. Overall, the sound is more natural. And, my 2ch became very sensitive.

And, there was improvements if HMS and Qutest connected to different power lines.

Thanks, yes I'm trying different kinds of music. Both familiar favorite pieces and new stuff that Tidal chooses for me.

Oct 28, 2019 at 4:53 PM Post #8,920 of 18,495
I find that my M Scaler cleans up the sound of my Hugo2 quite a bit. Its similar to removing blanket off of my speakers or headphones. It does come with a bit of sharpness or hardness as others have reported and which I'm working to mitigate. I hope to skip the TT2 and instead keep my hp amp and go for the Dave.

I think I might hear some of what you describe but it's very subtle for me.
The idea with going for the TT2 driving the speakers directly or a Dave with a power amp is that the added transparency might better reveal the M Scaler effect.

Oct 28, 2019 at 5:41 PM Post #8,921 of 18,495
I will try optical out to the HMS from my SP2000 and Macbook and see how that compares to the USB out from my Ultrarendu endpoint. There's also the option to use Sonore's spdf endpoint but then I'm using BNC cables, which seem to be prone to the RFI issue.

It's important, when doing an optical (toslink) vs USB comparison, to disconnect the USB cable and power down the unused component. So optical only has toslink plugged in and turn off the USB source ...and for completeness, the USB source has the toslink source turned off.
Dan

Oct 28, 2019 at 6:31 PM Post #8,922 of 18,495
Someone asked me if the MScaler helps for streaming. Here is my answer in the form of a video:

Oct 28, 2019 at 10:14 PM Post #8,925 of 18,495
Do you power everything from the same power line?
Try moving HMS to a line of it own, big difference.
I have few lines for my 2ch.

This is usually the first thing I try. But in the case of the MScaler mine sounded worse on a different circuit. Putting it in the same power board as the DAC sounded best. Counter intuitive. But maybe it is a bit more complicated, as the power line I initially moved the MScaler to also has my power amps on it. Maybe some interaction with the power amps outweighed any benefit of separating it from the DAC. I tried it a couple of times and same result. YMMV different systems etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back