Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jan 27, 2019 at 6:29 PM Post #5,281 of 18,495
Because the supplied cables was faultly, my dealer gives me audioquest digital carbon cables. https://www.audioquest.com/cables/digital-cables/digital-coax/carbon.
If you read, Audioquest is aware about rfi but:
- 1.For the best result, the usb cable must be as far as possible of the audioquest.
-2. I need to place 4 ferrittes on each.

Now i am waiting the new bnc wireworld starlight 8 digital 75ohm cables. These are twisted ones.
To use with the Hugo2 and the audioquest 3.5mm/RCA adapter, Wireworld proposes BNC/RCA cables.
http://www.wireworldcable.com/hi-res-digital-audio-cables.html
How have i found that i need to put ferrites between, mscaler and Dave.
1.I add the Chord optical fiber between mscaler and the Dave.
2. I select output 192khz on the Mscaler
3. I do A/B test on the Dave.
I add ferrites on the audioquest coax cable until Dave with optical and with bnc sounds the same and i add one to be sure. Very easy way.

Jan 27, 2019 at 6:36 PM Post #5,282 of 18,495
As soon as I found out roon had integrated qobuz I signed up for the roon trial - will definitely buy it, the combination is just superb.

Now that you have tried Qobuz on it’s own and Qobuz + Roon, which one do you prefer ?

With regards to the SQ question you asked me the other day.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2019 at 8:10 PM Post #5,283 of 18,495
Now that you have tried Qobuz on it’s own and Qobuz + Roon, which one do you prefer ?

I have been comparing TIDAL and Qobuz through Roon 1.6 and Audirvana+ 3.2.15 on macOS 10.14.3. I have come to the conclusion again that TIDAL via Audirvana+ with SysOptimizer Extreme engaged sounds best with the Dave+Blu Mk II. I think I will move away from Roon and Qobuz. YMMV.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2019 at 8:21 PM Post #5,284 of 18,495
I am using dave/blu2 with roon and Tidal as well as my own hard drive of music through roon nucleus and love it.....I have been thinking of giving Qobuz a shot...what may I ask makes you feel Tidal is better?

Jan 27, 2019 at 8:34 PM Post #5,285 of 18,495
I have been comparing TIDAL and Qobuz through Roon 1.6 and Audirvana+ 3.2.15 on macOS 10.14.3. I have come to the conclusion again that TIDAL via Audirvana+ with SysOptimizer Extreme engaged sounds best with the Dave+Blu Mk II. I think I will move away from Roon and Qobuz. YMMV.

Cool,

I’m mac’less, so I’ve never been able to try out audirvana, although I hear that there is a windows port nowadays. I will have to give it a try and see whats up.

I’m using Roon and Jriver, Jriver is good but buggy, constantly working and updating things every couple of days can be a good and a bad thing, in Jrivers case, it’s bad.

Roon for me is excellent, the way it interacts with your albums and streaming services is great I think, the radio is also good at pulling songs that are in a similar genre to what you like. It’s a nice little touch and, I must admit, it is good and I like it.

I will give Audirvana a try to see how it goes, who knows, I might even replace Jriver with it, but I don’t think I could just dump Roon forever, who knows, something better will always come along.

Cheers

Jan 27, 2019 at 8:46 PM Post #5,286 of 18,495
I am using dave/blu2 with roon and Tidal as well as my own hard drive of music through roon nucleus and love it.....I have been thinking of giving Qobuz a shot...what may I ask makes you feel Tidal is better?

The SQ is better with Qobuz, as it streams upto 192khz 24 bit streams, tidal in my opinion can’t compete with Qobuz on that front.

It’s noticeably better on the SQ front and now that it’s intergrated into Roon, we don’t need to use it’s crappy interface/gui. The ios app is ok, it’s just the pc version of qobuz that lets it down.

Tidal is still in the game as it has access to content that Qobuz doesn’t have. So their is no one is better than the other, they both compliment each other but, mqa should die in a fire, as it’s not needed or wanted.

In the end it boils down to;

Each to their own.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2019 at 8:46 PM Post #5,287 of 18,495
So I have an MScaler and Hugo 2 TT on the way. Do folks here believe the included BNC cables are good or is it worth it to get 'upgraded' ones?

"On the way?" As in just ordered (both) and being shipped or ordered some time ago and (both) being shipped???

As an aside is anyone else not getting their email notifications of posts to subscribed threads?

Jan 27, 2019 at 8:47 PM Post #5,288 of 18,495
The SQ is better with Qobuz, as it streams upto 192khz 24 bit streams, tidal in my opinion can’t compete with Qobuz on that front.

Each to their own I think.

I apologize, I thought you had said Tidal was your choice

Jan 27, 2019 at 8:48 PM Post #5,289 of 18,495
"On the way?" As in just ordered (both) and being shipped or ordered some time ago and (both) being shipped???

The former. I found them in stock at a USA dealer and ordered.

Jan 27, 2019 at 8:55 PM Post #5,290 of 18,495
I apologize, I thought you had said Tidal was your choice

Oh you weren’t asking me, you were asking someone else for their reasons asto why they chose tidal and audirvana.

I was just giving you some reasons why people may prefer one to another.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2019 at 9:15 PM Post #5,291 of 18,495
I have been part of Qobuz US Beta for sometime now and have found the sound quality differences between TIDAL and Qobuz are finite at best. However, I feel feel Qobuz is slightly dull and less dynamic than TIDAL. Ultimately, it is difficult to evaluate Qobuz because they are still on boarding suppliers and the Beta catalog is too incomplete to draw conclusions. My decision to continue using Qobuz will be determined by how complete the US catalog is once its fully launched. Keep in mind Amberlamps is in the UK and not using the Qobuz US Beta.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2019 at 9:21 PM Post #5,292 of 18,495
I have been part of Qobuz US Beta for sometime now and have found the sound quality differences between TIDAL and Qobuz are finite at best. However, I feel feel Qobuz is slightly dull and less dynamic than TIDAL. Ultimately, it is difficult to evaluate Qobuz because they are still on boarding suppliers and the Beta catalog is too incomplete to draw conclusions. My decision to continue using Qobuz will be determined by how complete the US catalog is once its fully launched. Keep in mind Amberlamps is in the UK and not using the Qobuz US Beta.

Is that a 911 Turbo ?

Everytime I see your pic I think, “is that a 911”, but I’m probably wrong.

If I’m wrong, my next guess would be something from Audi back in the day when quattro’s were dominating rallies.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2019 at 4:08 AM Post #5,293 of 18,495

Although it’s early days, and I’m still getting my head round roon, I am very pleased with the roon interface - far better than Qobuz. The way roon integrates Qobuz and my own rips into one library is excellent, the metadata and little stories about albums, artists and composers are good, the remote app for my iPad is great - I don’t need to use my laptop at all now. Qobuz is like being given the keys to Tower records, but having to find your way around in the dark with a candle. roon turns the lights on, so you can discover stuff much more easily. As far as SQ is concerned I’ve not noticed any issues, and I am extremely unlikely to go looking for them. Will definitely sign up for a year to roon, and probably convert to lifetime membership in a few months if all goes well. I guess it’s curtains for J River now.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2019 at 6:00 AM Post #5,294 of 18,495
Some guys down my way had an arvo listening session of M scaler and there were mixed reports on how the M scaler went.

I thought a bit about this and tried to draw some conclusions beyond the simple different strokes for different folks thing.

I thought about how it sometimes takes time to fully get just what the Mscaler is doing and as has been mentioned quite often that it can take time to tune into it. I posted as below which I think is one possible way of seeing how we listen as part of the values in appreciating the M scaler Magic so I thought I’d post back here at M scaler Mothership central as well.

As posted at Stereonet...

At the official head-fi thread (where most people who own M scalers seem to be) the general consensus of owners also seem to agree on one particular point... that the M scaler only really comes into it’s own at 1 million taps and so as a product the M scaler is largely irrelevant to anyone who can’t access its top upsample capability (which is every existing dac owner out there except for the owners of Chord Hugo 2, Qutest, TT2 and Dave).

This isn’t an apology for the M scaler but I certainly feel also that a USB output version would be very relevant to the dac market and I’d be surprised if it doesn’t eventuate.

Another point that comes through very clearly in the experiences of M scaler owners (who are in their greatest numbers on the official Chord M Scaler thread at head-fi) is that most all of them it seems... and there would be dozens over there... after having used an M scaler for some time wouldn’t then listen without it. I figure that the time that is required is about as long as it takes for someone to stop thinking about what they are hearing and instead just kick back and listen to the music and just appreciate.

Notably though a few of new owners/auditioners were very clearly unsure about the ultimate benefit after the initial audition of the M scaler.

I feel its more about what you are listening for (particularly in a brief audition) as to whether the m scaler hooks in or not straight away. If you are listening specifically for sonic differences (which is what we tend to do for the first couple of hours when first auditioning a bit of gear) you may not appreciate what it may then be actually doing.

When the real value/appreciation/addiction seems to come in is when we regularly start to feel more engaged or connected (or even lost) in the experience of listening to the music. If you are listening for differences then I’d suggest that you are only listening in part rather than whole eg. analysing for tone, resolution, quality of bass etc.

But when you stop trying to analyse your experience of this component but just plug it in and play for music and just listen without any objective other than listening to the music, that is when you give yourself over to the whole of experience which is also where the emotional connection happens... and this for me is where the m scaler creates an easier and deeper point of engagement.

Analysing sound doesn’t feed us dopamine... listening to music can. That is where the pleasure comes from when the Music kicks in and for me the M scaler is a bit of a dopaMine mining Machine.

I believe this connection in experience and engagement of music is actually where the M scaler does deliver rather than just purely in individual sonic attributes. It’s the way the sounds are organised better rather than just the individual sonic traits themselves... more metadata than data.

If you are trying to audition and especially to also then discuss with others what you are hearing then reasonably it is likely you may tend to focus on understanding through specific sonic analysis of elements and parts of sound rather than just being relaxed and passively open to listening to and appreciating the music... which is where I feel the M scale is... I think the M just actually stands for Music.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2019 at 6:05 AM Post #5,295 of 18,495
Although it’s early days, and I’m still getting my head round roon, I am very pleased with the roon interface - far better than Qobuz. The way roon integrates Qobuz and my own rips into one library is excellent, the metadata and little stories about albums, artists and composers are good, the remote app for my iPad is great - I don’t need to use my laptop at all now. Qobuz is like being given the keys to Tower records, but having to find your way around in the dark with a candle. roon turns the lights on, so you can discover stuff much more easily. As far as SQ is concerned I’ve not noticed any issues, and I am extremely unlikely to go looking for them. Will definitely sign up for a year to roon, and probably convert to lifetime membership in a few months if all goes well. I guess it’s curtains for J River now.

Cool,

The one thing that confuses alot of people is what endpoints to enable and disable.

System output gets disabled, and also all of the rest. The only ones I enable are Chord Asio and Chord Wasapi and my soundcard’s spdif optical endpoint, which was a pain in the ass to track down, as I had about 6 endpoints all named Xonar.

Once you get your head around endpoints it’s plain sailing from there on out.

The one thing I love about Roon is, it having an ios app that works on both ipads and iphones, now I don’t need to remote into my pc when I want to select a different playlist on qobuz.

I’m not sure if you ares aware of this yet but, all the endpoints you see in the audio option in Roons settings, they can all be playing different songs at the same time for different devices. It might be confusing to start with, but you will get the hang of it.

Thats why I disable everything except Chord Asio and Chord Wasapi and Xonar 64 spdif endpoints. The less I have the easier it is to configure and fix things.

Did you notice that the Chord Asio endpoint now plays Hi Res tracks from Qobuz without them playing at 1/8th of their normal speed, which happens in the qobuz.

Chord Asio will allow you to play Native DSD512 tracks, whilst Chord Wasapi will only go upto DSD 256, it’s a limitation of wasapi, incase you were trying to figure out why one was 512 and the other 256.

For the best audio quality you should be getting a purple star, like below.

04434C01-C4FF-4AB2-9910-A530544313C1.jpeg

No purple star next to the file thats playing, ( you can see it at the bottom of the screen next to deadmau5 ) then it’s not the best SQ, if you click on the purple star, it brings up the signal path box thats shown above. If you add any processing via dsp settings, that purple star will change to a blue’ish one to reflect that there are changes being made to the track.

For MP3’s, it shows an orangy colour.

Good to hear that you like Roon compared to Qobuz’s pc program.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back