Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Nov 29, 2018 at 12:21 PM Post #3,676 of 18,480
Have any mScaler owners listened to "Riders on the Storm" by "The Doors"? I'm curious as this was a quadraphonic recording. Seems that should A/B very well.

Nov 29, 2018 at 12:44 PM Post #3,677 of 18,480
Thanks. So has anyone tried with with a new USB C IPad Pro. I think for the older ones you needed to use the camera connection kit even if you custom made a USB B to lightening cable since there was something proprietary about the apple output and the camera connection kit had a chip to compensate for it. I assume you don’t need one with USB C since that is an open standard and not Apple specific. Thanks

Nov 29, 2018 at 12:51 PM Post #3,678 of 18,480
Have any mScaler owners listened to "Riders on the Storm" by "The Doors"? I'm curious as this was a quadraphonic recording. Seems that should A/B very well.
Have you got a qobuz or tidal link?

Nov 29, 2018 at 12:53 PM Post #3,679 of 18,480

Listen to this frequently, have the hires version from hd tracks. Sounds pretty special through mscaler. Although I never knew it was a quadraphonic recording and it certainly sounds nothing like amused to death. Doors is far more natural and musical sounding but if you want to experience the quadrophonic effect can't beat the roger Walters album.

Nov 29, 2018 at 3:47 PM Post #3,681 of 18,480
Thanks!

I have started buying recordings 5 years +/- my birth in 1965. Seems to be sweet spot as @Rob Watts has suggested. I think doors a little later 1971?

Nov 29, 2018 at 3:48 PM Post #3,682 of 18,480
just 1 minute into it so far, it is pretty special. the drums are sitting out on their own, the hi hat is really sharp, the drums are really relaxed though. you can clearly pick out all the different drums being hit.
the rain is a nice background, the organ is doing its thing.
big jim front and centre.
the drums and the organ seem to be vying for the centre, slowly both driving it forward.
main feeling is - everything is so relaxed - instrument separation but also nicely overlapping.
a very laid back pre-funk. with a bit of bongo action too...

Nov 29, 2018 at 3:52 PM Post #3,683 of 18,480
Thanks!

I have started buying recordings 5 years +/- my birth in 1965. Seems to be sweet spot as @Rob Watts has suggested. I think doors a little later 1971?
need to dogde any of the remasters ?

Nov 29, 2018 at 3:58 PM Post #3,684 of 18,480
just 1 minute into it so far, it is pretty special. the drums are sitting out on their own, the hi hat is really sharp, the drums are really relaxed though. you can clearly pick out all the different drums being hit.
the drums and the organ seem to be vying for the centre, slowly both driving it forward.
main feeling is - everything is so relaxed - instrument separation but also nicely overlapping.

Bongos, what bongos? I have to listen to that track again. LOL

Nov 29, 2018 at 4:16 PM Post #3,685 of 18,480

Are you able to here the second voice just below and to the left of Jim? Like a sort of whispering echo.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2018 at 4:21 PM Post #3,686 of 18,480
I started my question about noise comparisons between optical and usb and also about noise generated by transducers have heard Nuno from Innuos talking about this to John Darko. Obviously Nuno has an axe to grind and supports USB but his basic point was that having measured various USB isolation methods they were not fully successful and somehow noise always seemed to creep around the isolation. Hence going to extremes to keep the noise out in the first place. That begs the question whether £300 worth of Intona kit would do what it says it does on the tin (or do it as much as one might be expecting) or even whether it might make things worse (that does sometimes happen).

Just dug out the free fibre cable that came with my mscaler and swapped out my aq diamond usb to try the optical connection from Aries to mscaler. Very surprised, noticeable difference, i now have an aq diamond and jitter bug for sale!!

Nov 29, 2018 at 4:27 PM Post #3,687 of 18,480
ok guys I'm done... I will never buy a Chord product again...

Firstly I think that the M Scaler is doing nothing as I can clearly hear the live bands playing out of my Hugo 2. It's very hard to see them behind that glass window as they must be tiny and they hide in some of the corners where I can't see them...but they are there... I can hear them!!!

Secondly Rob told us that you can hear the changes with golden ears but it takes more time before you appreciate the new musicality that the m scaler brings...thats a bare lie, as I'm sitting here bound to the sofa with my eq'd HD800 and I can't put it down. What have I got my self into... :D

Nov 29, 2018 at 4:30 PM Post #3,688 of 18,480

Glad to help.

Nov 29, 2018 at 4:32 PM Post #3,689 of 18,480
Are you able to here the second voice just below and to the left of Jim? Like a sort of whispering echo.
at about 5:50 - 'riders on the storm' and he doesn't have enough breath - but theres a kind of - sub jim that helps out !
it actually amazing how the bass guitar binds the whole thing - like a metronone - the whole way thought - just few notes over and over - dada da da - dada da da
bongos come in about 5:30, more like the indian drums you play with parts of your hands or something like that.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back