Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Nov 22, 2018 at 7:15 AM Post #3,406 of 18,518
I think people need to relax and just plug your schiit together and enjoy the music. Rob knows what he's doing and as far as I know, the supplied BNC cables have 75 Ohm connectors (without all the plastic crap seen in 50 ohm connectors), the cable itself should be an RG59 (doesn't seem to be thick enough to be RG6), and thus I'm sure there is fantastic impedance matching between the HMS and TT2 or DAVE, and that the TT2 and DAVE are highly capable in terms of input jitter rejection.

Ultimately if the supplied BNC cables are not transmitting data bit-perfect to the TT2 or DAVE that's a different story, but I've just been using the cables supplied in the box and I am well impressed with what I hear.

If you still can't sleep at night then get yourself:

https://www.wavehighfidelity.com/storm-1/wave-storm-bnc-cable

Will this one work well for $18 USD?
Canare CACSDI6
Highlights

• 20 AWG Solid Copper Center Conductor
  • 100% Aluminum Foil; 93% TAC Braid
  • Foam PE Dielectric (Insulation)
  • 75 Ohm Impedance
  • 2.9 dB per 328 ft Attenuation at 10 MHz
  • 17pF / ft Capacitance
Features
This is a 6 ft Canare HD-SDI Cable, featuring Canare's L-4CFB RG59 coaxial cable.
    • 20 AWG, solid copper center conductor
    • 100% aluminum foil / 93% TAC braid shielding
    • Foam PE, 1000 VAC / min dielectric
    • 75 ohm
    • 2.9 dB per 328 ft Attenuation at 10 MHz
    • 17pF / ft capacitance

Nov 22, 2018 at 7:21 AM Post #3,407 of 18,518
https://media.sweetwater.com/images/items/750/WDCS6-large.jpg?v=06bc9500bb3bd0b6

Will this one work
Another option at 47USD
FROM Sweetwater
Canare LV-61S wire provides top-quality performance

There are many things that set Pro Co Premium Canare Word Clock Cables apart from regular word clock cables, most importantly, the wiring itself. To provide you with the quality you need to best match the performance of your digital equipment, Pro Co chose Canare LV-61S wire. This extreme-quality 75-ohm wire is found in top-end studios around the world. Why? Because it delivers the results you demand. Don't limit the performance of your gear with inadequate cabling - equip your rig with Pro Co Premium Canare Word Clock Cables.

Neutrik gold connectors ensure maximum stability and transmission

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2018 at 7:51 AM Post #3,408 of 18,518
That seems like a very reasonable tweak at about $50. Can Rob confirm that using a non-OEM power supply voids the CHORD warranty? Is the power rating equivalent to the provided CHORD power supply? Will the noise floor and buzzing be better with a portable rechargable battery. I have this and rarely use it but could be adapted for the HMS since it has a regular AC outlet on the portable battery.

Portable AC Outlet Battery Pack by ChargeTech - 27000mAh 85W / 110V (TSA Approved fo... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0116BX968/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_JyP9BbC72ABRH

Rob has already confirmed ( multiple times ) that using a third party psu voids the warranty should anything happen.

The damage caused by one is very easy to spot, also mentioned by Rob.

I would advise against using one, buy a Lindy 6 way gang/power conditioner instead and plug the stock psu into that. £40 on amazon.

Nov 22, 2018 at 9:24 AM Post #3,409 of 18,518
That seems like a very reasonable tweak at about $50. Can Rob confirm that using a non-OEM power supply voids the CHORD warranty? Is the power rating equivalent to the provided CHORD power supply? Will the noise floor and buzzing be better with a portable rechargable battery. I have this and rarely use it but could be adapted for the HMS since it has a regular AC outlet on the portable battery.

Portable AC Outlet Battery Pack by ChargeTech - 27000mAh 85W / 110V (TSA Approved fo... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0116BX968/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_JyP9BbC72ABRH
The Chord warranty wording for the M Scaler is quite clear and leaves no option to use a psu other than the one supplied. I would have liked to see wording that said "... may be void if use of another PSU is shown to be responsible for any damage [or similar]..." rather than "...will be void...", but there it is.

As the designer, Rob will know better than anyone what the M Scaler can work with and what it cannot work with. But it is Chord Electronics the company that has to set the conditions under which it will provide warranty cover. Rob is not a Chord employee and the company cannot be bound by anything he says that is different from the warranty wording, so not fair to ask him.

So there is a risk in using a different PSU. Actually, if there is little or no headroom in M Scaler's ability to handle more than 15V, I would say there is also a risk with the supplied PSU. If that overshoots its 15V rating (is it more or less likely to than a 15V iFi iPower?) and blows the protection diode, how would you satisfy Chord that it was the supplied PSU that was to blame and not a different PSU? I guess you would have to hope that under test the supplied PSU was able to repeat the overshoot.

The impact of any PSU is going to be a little different from system to system, so no guarantees on what you would get. My experience with a couple of iPower units used variously with swtiches, FMCs, renderer and USB regenerator in the multiple small box system I had some time back was that they brought only a modest and not always clear improvement compared to the supplied SMPS. For most, I would offer the view that it was not worth the risk using iPower units with the M Scaler.

Edit

I should also have mentioned that I did have to return one of my iFi iPower units when it suddenly stopped working. Fortunately, it caused no damage to the unit it was powering, and I got a replacement without any difficulty as it was still under warranty.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2018 at 9:35 AM Post #3,410 of 18,518
HMS definitely enhances rock music and I find following bass lines much easier both in terms of clarity and weight.
I find the same, my enjoyment of rock
music is increased due to better definition, not just bass but across the board.

Nov 22, 2018 at 9:46 AM Post #3,411 of 18,518
Remind me, who was it who introduced the ferrite issue?

Guilty.

Just remember, using a third party psu will void your warranty, and if things go wrong when using a third party psu, Rob said it’s very easy for chord to detect when they open the item and the stock psu up to check/repair.

I was going to buy the same battery as Rob, but if my mscaler died on me and chord wouldnt fix it because I used a third party psu, I would die. So I decided that I’m happy to stick with the stock psu.

You can’t put a price on peace of mind.

The PSU has been very carefully chosen for both SQ and measured performance - and it is not grounded for very good reason. The grounding creates earth loops, which you do not want, but has the benefit of stopping the slight tingle sensation. It's almost certain that a grounded PSU will make it sound worse, but will increase RF noise levels will make it sound brighter - and easily give the false impression of more transparency.

Chord have updated their warranties as there are some audiophile PSU's that are unregulated and completely not fit for purpose. Chord will always ensure products are fixed; but an overvoltage failure would not be a warranty repair, and it's very easy to detect an overvoltage failure. There is ample headroom on the M scaler for overvoltage, and the supplied PSU will not blow the protect diode, as there is plenty of headroom from this PSU POV. Don't ask me what that headroom is, as I am not disclosing this, except top say that 15v is the max input rating.

Nov 22, 2018 at 10:32 AM Post #3,412 of 18,518
Guilty.

The PSU has been very carefully chosen for both SQ and measured performance - and it is not grounded for very good reason. The grounding creates earth loops, which you do not want, but has the benefit of stopping the slight tingle sensation. It's almost certain that a grounded PSU will make it sound worse, but will increase RF noise levels will make it sound brighter - and easily give the false impression of more transparency.

Chord have updated their warranties as there are some audiophile PSU's that are unregulated and completely not fit for purpose. Chord will always ensure products are fixed; but an overvoltage failure would not be a warranty repair, and it's very easy to detect an overvoltage failure. There is ample headroom on the M scaler for overvoltage, and the supplied PSU will not blow the protect diode, as there is plenty of headroom from this PSU POV. Don't ask me what that headroom is, as I am not disclosing this, except top say that 15v is the max input rating.

When it comes to expensive things, I’m happy to keep everything stock, unless it’s my computers. I know Chord would fix a problem that was caused by a third party psu, but they would charge, and I have a funny feeling that it won’t be cheap.

I grudged paying £170 this morning for a replacement cable for my headphones, I can only imagine what chord would charge for a new pcb.

Nov 22, 2018 at 11:28 AM Post #3,413 of 18,518
There is ample headroom on the M scaler for overvoltage, and the supplied PSU will not blow the protect diode, as there is plenty of headroom from this PSU POV. Don't ask me what that headroom is, as I am not disclosing this, except top say that 15v is the max input rating.
Thanks Rob. I expected there would be headroom, and I would not expect you to say what that was.

I am not worried using the supplied PSU. It was more to highlight a potential unintended consequence of Chord’s warranty wording. I do actually understand Chord’s position on this, and had I been John Franks with all the commercial considerations that direct his running of the company, considerations that most of us audiophiles probably don’t fully grasp, I might have done the same.

Nov 22, 2018 at 11:40 AM Post #3,414 of 18,518

Despite all the anxiety it has created, I sincerely appreciate that you shared your discoveries on the RFI side. I've learned a tremendous amount playing with cables and ferrites, and came away with a new appreciation for the impact basic RF can have in the digital realm (doesn't hurt that mScaler makes it so easy to hear these changes). Cheers Rob, and thanks for sharing your process with the rest of us!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back