Huge Problem
Aug 9, 2020 at 2:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

huilun02

New Head-Fier
So people spend hundreds and thousands on audio gear...

We already have many LDAC capable bluetooth receivers. Fiio seems to be making a new one every other day...

And yet there are no purpose built LDAC transmitters.

Not a single one on the whole planet

I got myself a Shanling M0 which could transmit LDAC in USB DAC mode, but within 3 months it has incinerated itself to death because there are no charging controls to protect itself from being permanently plugged into a PC. I am not dropping any more money on a DAP that will not survive for the function I need it to do.

Can someone help? Do I have to a write a petition to Fiio or what?

Aug 9, 2020 at 3:14 AM Post #2 of 7
I know very little of the subject but was experimenting to hear how LDAC sounded and found it’s absolutely better than anything from an iPhone. I used a Sony Walkman 1A.

I’m pretty sure there is a fairly large line of Sony products that broadcast LDAC. Though I’m not an expert on LDAC. It’s always supposed to be coming eventually? Simple LDAC transmission and file playback would be cool, especially with the LDAC receiving headphones.

Cheers!

Aug 9, 2020 at 3:52 AM Post #3 of 7
The simple answer of why there isn't any LDAC transmitter is because there isn't any dedicated BT transmitter chipset you can use on the market that has LDAC hard-coded into it.

If you look around, almost all LDAC supporting source do LDAC via software implementation - that is they uses a commercially available BT chipset (mostly just Qualcomm, as Sony seems to have developed LDAC using Qualcomm chipset in the first place so the source code mostly just work on Qualcomm chipset) - almost all these source, especially those that are not from Sony, runs from some kind of OS, mainly Android (and to a lesser extent, Linux based). This is probably because that's what the SDK is mostly based on. From a third party manufacturer POV, to make a wireless source using an already existed solution (i.e. Sony SDK based on software implementation on Android / Linux ) is relatively easy, but to create a transmitter, which is purely hardware based, is most definitely not - that means they almost have to crease a new BT chip set to do that, which will require a lot of money as well as chip making tech. Given there are only a handful of companies in the world that has the relevant resource to actually make BT chipset, the real question is whether it makes any business sense for any of them to invest into LDAC. Sony might be the only one that would want this to happen, but they don't make nor sell BT chipset themselves. Qualcomm, the world biggest BT chipset supplier, is more willing to put more resource into their own aptX technology rather than pushing for LDAC. So for companies like FiiO or Shanling, they will only able to make a LDAC transmitter unless there are already chipset solution available they can purchase with ease (and with relatively low cost). Otherwise we will still stuck with using DAP as LDAC transmitter because that's just easier for the companies to implement as it is based on an already working solution that required minimum investment.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2020 at 4:10 AM Post #4 of 7
...Otherwise we will still stuck with using DAP as LDAC transmitter because that's just easier for the companies to implement as it is based on an already working solution that required minimum investment.

Do you know of any DAPs that can transmit LDAC in USB DAC mode, that also has charging controls?
I am willing to buy another DAP to replace my M0, but not if its going to end up dead again

Aug 9, 2020 at 5:24 AM Post #5 of 7
Do you know of any DAPs that can transmit LDAC in USB DAC mode, that also has charging controls?
I am willing to buy another DAP to replace my M0, but not if its going to end up dead again

Even if there is such a DAP, you will be deep cycling the battery by constantly draining it when charging is disabled - that will just as well hurt the battery. They are not meant to be used a permanent USB DAC solution.

Aug 9, 2020 at 5:45 AM Post #6 of 7
Even if there is such a DAP, you will be deep cycling the battery by constantly draining it when charging is disabled - that will just as well hurt the battery. They are not meant to be used a permanent USB DAC solution.

Charging controls ie. stops charging at 80% like with the ES100
I'm assuming you are not aware of any DAP that can do it

Aug 9, 2020 at 5:46 AM Post #7 of 7
Charging controls ie. stops charging at 80% like with the ES100
I'm assuming you are not aware of any DAP that can do it

Not to my knowledge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back