HUGE disappointment........dt990 pro(250) are bass cannons.
Apr 1, 2009 at 9:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

lutwey

1000+ Head-Fier
i ordered the dt990 on ebay. i was really excited but only to be underwhelmed by their performance. first and foremost the seller on ebay posted a pic of the newer dt990(05 version) but i was sent one of these old models. so i was thinking, eh since its here might as well give it a shot. so i put them on. and viola........BOOM,BOOM,BOOM. i was like is this the dt990 that is highly praised on headfi? talk about heavy bass. forget the mids and the highs as far as i am concern they are drowned by the overpowering bass. will this mellow down? should i just return them? probably a defective model? i mean how can someone enjoy this amount of bass. they are TOO MUCH even for hiphop.......that is definitely saying something.

what do you guys think?

Apr 2, 2009 at 12:10 AM Post #3 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by lutwey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i ordered the dt990 on ebay. i was really excited but only to be underwhelmed by their performance. first and foremost the seller on ebay posted a pic of the newer dt990(05 version) but i was sent one of these old models. so i was thinking, eh since its here might as well give it a shot. so i put them on. and viola........BOOM,BOOM,BOOM. i was like is this the dt990 that is highly praised on headfi? talk about heavy bass. forget the mids and the highs as far as i am concern they are drowned by the overpowering bass. will this mellow down? should i just return them? probably a defective model? i mean how can someone enjoy this amount of bass. they are TOO MUCH even for hiphop.......that is definitely saying something.

what do you guys think?

I suggest that you try putting the cups in a different place relative to your ears. For instance, I thought that the DT770 Pro 80 ohm had no bass, but that was only because I had the pads far forward enough to touch the back of my ears. If I move my ears to the front of the pads, the sound gets bassier and bassier. Try the same with the DT990 and you might get a sound that isn't horrendously bassy.

Apr 2, 2009 at 1:32 AM Post #5 of 31
1. There are guys in head-fi named "basshead" who like heavier bass.
2. Please let us know your configuration of rig so may be this is the synergy problem, might be something is mismatched.
3. You should read more before choosing a product to know the whole picture. In fact, DT880 would be suitable for your favorite instead, much balanced, clarity and neutral. Good for different kinds of music.

Apr 2, 2009 at 2:57 AM Post #6 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by ferraro25 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I suggest that you try putting the cups in a different place relative to your ears. For instance, I thought that the DT770 Pro 80 ohm had no bass, but that was only because I had the pads far forward enough to touch the back of my ears. If I move my ears to the front of the pads, the sound gets bassier and bassier. Try the same with the DT990 and you might get a sound that isn't horrendously bassy.

ill try that
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioCats /img/forum/go_quote.gif
not enough driving power from your amp the 250 ohm version can't be that bassy.

maybe? but i am using an av receiver. it should have enough juice.
Quote:

Originally Posted by ManAtWork /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. There are guys in head-fi named "basshead" who like heavier bass.
2. Please let us know your configuration of rig so may be this is the synergy problem, might be something is mismatched.
3. You should read more before choosing a product to know the whole picture. In fact, DT880 would be suitable for your favorite instead, much balanced, clarity and neutral. Good for different kinds of music.

1.yes, i do realize that but the dt990s are like having subwoofers strapped on your head.
2.they were pluged in straight to my computer(speaker terminal),cowon d2,av reciever.
3.i actually read a couple of threads and started some of my own. plus thinking that no audiophile headphones should sound like this should be a safe bet. as far as i can remember they are supposed to excell on mids and highs while delivering a nice and tight bass.

btw thanks guys

Apr 2, 2009 at 3:02 AM Post #7 of 31
Quote:

as far as i can remember they are supposed to excell on mids and highs while delivering a nice and tight bass.

confused.gif

Over time things temper. I never found them to be bass canons, though.

Apr 2, 2009 at 3:08 AM Post #8 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by holland /img/forum/go_quote.gif
confused.gif

Over time things temper. I never found them to be bass canons, though.

i sure hope so. but man referring to them as "bass cannons" is not an overstatement. the hp are literally shaking on my head. i took it out of my head to examine its behavior while playing music, and i can fell something like a strong heart beat on each thump......wow.

Apr 2, 2009 at 3:16 AM Post #9 of 31
Quote:

i sure hope so. but man referring to them as "bass cannons" is not an overstatement. the hp are literally shaking on my head. i took it out of my head to examine its behavior while playing music, and i can fell something like a strong heart beat on each thump......wow.

Shaking on your head? Even my true bass canon headphones don't do that. You must really crank them.

Give them about 100-200 hours. I use pink noise and let it run in for a week (24/7), on all my headphones before I try giving a serious listen.

Apr 2, 2009 at 3:22 AM Post #10 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by holland /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shaking on your head? Even my true bass canon headphones don't do that. You must really crank them.

Give them about 100-200 hours. I use pink noise and let it run in for a week (24/7), on all my headphones before I try giving a serious listen.

crazy huh??? ill give that a try. that is, if end up keeping em.

Apr 2, 2009 at 3:28 AM Post #11 of 31
Quote:

maybe? but i am using an av receiver. it should have enough juice.

but you are using the headphone out of the receiver, no? It is only as strong as the tiny little headphone amp section inside the receiver, then.

Apr 2, 2009 at 3:47 AM Post #12 of 31
they shouldn't be that crazy. I got the same ones as you and if they're making you shake, you're turning up the volume too loud. Just give them some time. The bass definitely sets in and the treble gets smoother.

Apr 2, 2009 at 6:37 AM Post #14 of 31
I would recommend trying to burn them in, with almost every headphone i have owned(which isnt many) the bass has tightened up over time

Apr 2, 2009 at 7:42 AM Post #15 of 31
I had the 03 DT99pro/250 before, they are certainly basshead headphones.The bass on these are enormous compared to other open headphones. They had more bass than D2000 and HD650.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back