http://www.lessloss.com/computer_audio_usb.html
Aug 21, 2006 at 3:50 PM Post #16 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by ObiHuang
Actually I'd bet $20 that in 2 years, we'll get posts claiming they heard differences doing half the things posted there. Think about what people are already doing/claiming.

-We have many many people who buy portable amplifiers bigger (and more expensive than their portable sources to amplify their player's signal to their IEMs.

-We have people claiming they can hear significant differences in various Lossless forms of audio.

-We have people claiming they can hear distinct differences in signal quality by spending hundreds on 12-inch long cables.

-We have people buying $400+ professional sound cards because they believe they can hear the differences between 115db sound/noise ratio and 120db sound/noise ratio OR maybe +/-.5db vs +/- .2db frequency response.

-We have people claiming they've documented differences in sound quality between 6 feet USB cables.

-We have people who insist vinyl has the best sound quality even though every time you play the record, you're rolling off the high frequencies and adding distortion (and not to mention the buildup of dust that adds the beautiful static).

Trust me, that's just the tip of the iceberg. Give it two years and people will turn off their LCD monitors when they listen to audio, or buy 2GB of RAM to listen to their music.

I don't think we've come even close to plumbing the full depths of "audiophile" gullibility. Check this link if you want proof.

Aug 21, 2006 at 4:21 PM Post #17 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
I'm calling BS on the deeply embedded folder thing also.

The thing about the USB RAM drive is interesting. My own thoughts is I prefer not to have too many internal drive devices. Motors cause noise. My fans are actually externally powered. My extra harddrives and DVD burner are external. One thing though, the fact that it's USB means it's an external device and well, that's a bit contradictory to unplugging the mouse and keyboard thing
tongue.gif

The USB RAM could be taken two ways though. I'd imagine (and I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt) that you'd have the potential of hearing a difference while unplugging peripheral devices only while using the onboard RAM. They never really specified which RAM they were using.

Aug 21, 2006 at 5:48 PM Post #18 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by ObiHuang
-We have many many people who buy portable amplifiers bigger (and more expensive than their portable sources to amplify their player's signal to their IEMs.

This can make sense, though it would be nice if they were smaller and cheaper.
Quote:

Trust me, that's just the tip of the iceberg. Give it two years and people will turn off their LCD monitors when they listen to audio, or buy 2GB of RAM to listen to their music.

I turn off my LCD when listening to music. But that's becaue the LCD itself is audible!

Aug 21, 2006 at 8:17 PM Post #19 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
Well if you needed 24 bit or 88.2khz and above, sure.

You forgot to quote what's right after which I think is the most important thing.

"Even after all of these tweaks, the computer as source could not compete in clarity and low Jitter performance with a synchronously slaved run-of-the-mill NAD CD player."

I agree and that's why I believe the computer can never be a truly high end source. A less complicated and less general purpose external device is the way to go IMO. e.g. squeezebox. I'm not a fan of USB though.

You are forgetting that many soundcards have a word clock in and can be slaved to the DAC just as the NAD you mentioned is.

Aug 21, 2006 at 9:30 PM Post #20 of 85
Now they have gone to far....

Now I want to dismiss all the other things that I have read on their site.

I think this ad has done us all a real service when it comes to their products.

That is what I think about most of these claims.

Some things may be heard. When I have my headphones on I can hear the CD door opening when I place a cd in the drawer. Does this qualify in some way as being cured by having the music on the computer as well?

Aug 21, 2006 at 9:31 PM Post #21 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser
Now they have gone to far....

Now I want to dismiss all the other things that I have read on their site.

This is how I feel now as well. At first, yeah I'll admit that I thought they had some really useful stuff on their site. I still think they do, as long as it doesn't pertain to their products. This newest update is pure poppy-**** I tell you!

Aug 21, 2006 at 10:21 PM Post #22 of 85
Quote:

I don't think we've come even close to plumbing the full depths of "audiophile" gullibility. Check this link if you want proof.

Brilliant

Do you think all those "customer comments" are real ? Almost beyond belief.

Aug 21, 2006 at 10:51 PM Post #24 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by wjat
guys i have a rock that keeps tigers away, im selling it for only $200

Im offering $150 for the rock + tiger.

Aug 22, 2006 at 1:47 AM Post #25 of 85
haha, this sure doesn't make me want to buy their products
now ive heard that lessloss is full of $### on numerous occasions

i can hear the difference b/t a headphone cable but isolation or turning off the display on cd player or power cable i dont know, much less this other stuff.

Aug 22, 2006 at 3:02 AM Post #26 of 85
"Lightened Windows services:
Audible.
Turning off the CRT monitor:
Audible.

Unplugging all external devices, i.e. mouse, keyboard, monitor, etc:
Audible."

The next audible improvement: Turn off the computer.

Bill

Aug 22, 2006 at 4:22 AM Post #27 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal
You are forgetting that many soundcards have a word clock in and can be slaved to the DAC just as the NAD you mentioned is.

True there is that option for soundcards but I just don't believe in internal soundcards for the ultimate in quality.

Aug 22, 2006 at 4:42 AM Post #28 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
True there is that option for soundcards but I just don't believe in internal soundcards for the ultimate in quality.

Now here you lost me. You agree that a slaved transport is the lowest jitter you can get.

Why not a soundcard if it is bit perfect and a slave to the DAC via wordclock?

I am considering investing in such a setup. I really think the potential is there to best very expensive transports.

Aug 22, 2006 at 5:09 AM Post #29 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal
Now here you lost me. You agree that a slaved transport is the lowest jitter you can get.

Why not a soundcard if it is bit perfect and a slave to the DAC via wordclock?

I am considering investing in such a setup. I really think the potential is there to best very expensive transports.

Because of all the interference and poor quality power inside a pc the performance of a sound card will never be as good as a quality stand alone component.

Aug 22, 2006 at 4:57 PM Post #30 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by PsychoZX
Because of all the interference and poor quality power inside a pc the performance of a sound card will never be as good as a quality stand alone component.

Thats why lessloss warned me against going the lynx l22 sound card route. They even sent me the mail history of a greek customer who built a htpc with lynxl22 and bought their dac and heard varying qualities. Thats what prompted them to do the experiment because they thought lynxl22 should have pretty good jitter ratings already. Then they found out a sound card can never match a CDP unless you redesign the whole computer to the point it doesnt lool like a computer anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back