http://www.headphile.com/page7.html
Dec 5, 2006 at 7:05 AM Post #31 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by micaela /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Darth's are at home on my head now!! They are beautiful in person - every bit as nice as in the pictures! And I've NEVER heard bass like this before! Can't say much more about the sound till I've had a chance to listen more & get over this ugly head cold I've got right now. But I had to post my excitement at having them in my hands now!!

Have you got the HHF1's yet stevenkelby?

Congratulations! I'm sure your like a little kid at christmas, I know I would be.

Would love to hear some of that bass. They are beautiful cans.

Mine aren't here yet, but I'm in Australia. They have left customs in Sydney, so hopefully tomorrow. Iv'e got my set up all ready to go as soon as they are delivered to work. Can not wait.
tongue.gif

Dec 5, 2006 at 7:08 AM Post #32 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenkelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congratulations! I'm sure your like a little kid at christmas, I know I would be.

Would love to hear some of that bass. They are beautiful cans.

Mine aren't here yet, but I'm in Australia. They have left customs in Sydney, so hopefully tomorrow. Iv'e got my set up all ready to go as soon as they are delivered to work. Can not wait.
tongue.gif

How do customs taxes work in Syd?

Dec 5, 2006 at 7:55 AM Post #33 of 47
Wow, I just took a look at deal #11. Amazing looking HHF-1's. I liked them so much, I have asked to see if I can my HF-1's modded like that. Amazing.

Neil

Dec 30, 2006 at 2:31 PM Post #36 of 47
Well it's been nearly a month so I guess it's time to report a few words on these things!

There were no taxes/customs charges, the total was $1140 AUD delivered to me, took about a week.

So.

I freakin love them.
icon10.gif
Haven't posted till now as I've been to busy, and wanted to get to know them first and try a few things.

These are my first Grado, other cans I know well are DT-880 and 990, ER-4, KSC-75 and top end Sony buds.

Where to start. I got them in a big white box, they were wrapped in lots of bubble wrap. They are smaller than I though they would be, no bad thing. Much much lighter than expected too, which is great.

They are very high quality. Better made than I was expecting, but not perfect, which is ok as they are hand made, and it doesn't bother me at all.

The 2 things less than perfect are the splitter, the wood is "missing" a tiny chunk:

and one of the rod ends has its hole slightly off center:

adds character.
cool.gif
and honestly not noticeable unless your looking. I wouldn't even call it flaws, just some uniqueness.

First listen. Bright. No isolation with stock bowls.Revealing, forward, up front sound. Not much bass (later changed my mind, maybe after burn in?). Comfortable to wear. Punchy, great impact, what I wanted. Warm. Good soundstage, lots of air and so on and so forth. They sound fast too.

Makes DT-990 sound muffled, like it's in another room.

Very easy to drive. I use my PC, Flac and 320 mp3, AV-710 optical out, Coem modded Lite DAC-AH, Xin SMacro IV.

Or iAudio X5 and Xin.

Sounds much better through the PC set up. Can really hear big differences in opamps on the Xin too. Need to spend more time on this.

The HHF-1 needs much less power than the other cans I have/had. The X5 with no amp drives them painfully loud, but it sounds much better with the Xin.

Because I found the bass a bit thin to begin with, and because I found bowls uncomfy, I bough the C-Pads from Cantsleep:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=212225

and man, they Really Fix the bass! with all the plugs in, after I rebuilt the c-pads and sealed them together perfectly, and with fresh blu tac holding them in place, they pump like I imagine Darths might do, but presumably with more boom. With the plugs out they are fine, and very comfy with better isolation, but as others have said, the sound is better with stock bowls.

I will still use both now and then I think, but Im used to the bowls now and am silencing my PC so might not use the c-pads much. We'll see.

I don't know if it's burn in (I have left them on for probably 200 hours by now) or all in my head, or if I'm just used to them, but the stock bass is actually great, it's deep enough, maybe to 30 - 40 Hz, and at a very nice level. I think that the bright presentation took my attention away from the bass at first and now that I'm used to the treble and mids, the bass is more obvious. I don't actually need more bass than with the stock bowls. Still, you can never have to much bass if it's good bass, right.

Would still like some Darth's one day.

I got a Beyer 770/880/990 headband as I heard that they increase comfort, it does, but they HHF-1 was never uncomfortable there for me anyway. Only thing I had to get used to was supra aural (?) pads pressing on my ears. Used to it now. I also got annoyed with the earpieces turning around and twisting. Even though these have rod locks, when I store them they sometimes get twisted the wrong way. So I tied some pink ribbon between the headband and drivers until I come up with a better idea. Maybe a more suitable colored ribbon or something. Now they can't twist around.

I have been storing them in a case I bough tfor $40 AUD from a camera store, works great:

I really love listening to my MUSIC now, finally ignoring the equipment
redface.gif
and really enjoying music, both stuff thats new to me and very and old. Truly, absolutely everything sounds better on these than any other cans I've heard so far. I think I might sell the 990's as I never use them anymore and don't think I will. Anyone want to part trade on a Meier H5? Before I got the HHF-1 I sold the 880 and kept the 990 because they are more fun and I wanted some cans for movies and fun music but the HHF-1 is just better everywhere. I do really like the 990, but why drive a lotus when you have a Lamborghini
tongue.gif

Okay, I know there are still better cans out there and soon I will want them all too, I still check the FS forum for L3000! Among others. But for now I'm happy.

Thanks Larry!

Dec 30, 2006 at 3:11 PM Post #37 of 47
Nice, stevenkelby!

Dec 31, 2006 at 9:17 AM Post #41 of 47
Quote:

and man, they Really Fix the bass! with all the plugs in, after I rebuilt the c-pads and sealed them together perfectly, and with fresh blu tac holding them in place, they pump like I imagine Darths might do, but presumably with more boom. With the plugs out they are fine, and very comfy with better isolation, but as others have said, the sound is better with stock bowls.

I will still use both now and then I think, but Im used to the bowls now and am silencing my PC so might not use the c-pads much. We'll see.

I don't know if it's burn in (I have left them on for probably 200 hours by now) or all in my head, or if I'm just used to them, but the stock bass is actually great, it's deep enough, maybe to 30 - 40 Hz, and at a very nice level. I think that the bright presentation took my attention away from the bass at first and now that I'm used to the treble and mids, the bass is more obvious. I don't actually need more bass than with the stock bowls. Still, you can never have to much bass if it's good bass, right.

Would still like some Darth's one day.

Stop lying
biggrin.gif
; I think that I just got aroused; more boom than a Darth, eh?

That sounds promising, hopefully I will be able to try them out one day.

What opamp is in your XIN?

Dec 31, 2006 at 3:42 PM Post #42 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by jmmtn4aj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Larry doesn't make those things to order?

He will make them to order, of course, but sometimes he just "creates" and then sells them on the Deals page. I'm still eyeing the Snakewood DB's...

Dec 31, 2006 at 7:13 PM Post #43 of 47
Quote:

Thanks Skylab.

Wonder how Micaela is going with the Darths?

I'm doing great w/the Darths
icon10.gif
I'm glad you like the HHF1s so much! I had some HF1's & really liked them a lot. In fact it was their fault that I finally gave in & bought the RS1's. I have hardly been listening to anything but the Darth's since I got them. The bass has smoothed out a bit now & is not as boomy as it was at the start. Its still huge - but very nice! The mids & highs have smoothed out as well & they are just a relaxing enjoyable listen. About as opposite the RS1's as I can imagine. I added some leather pads to them - I'll put up a picture later today.

Jan 6, 2007 at 5:24 AM Post #44 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snacks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stop lying
biggrin.gif
; I think that I just got aroused; more boom than a Darth, eh?

That sounds promising, hopefully I will be able to try them out one day.

What opamp is in your XIN?

Yeah they really pump with the sealed up C-Pads!
basshead.gif
I'm sure Darth's have a better quality of bass though, this is awesome fun for about 5 minutes, then it just gives you a headache. I'm using the bowls all the time now. Glad I tried them though.

I have loads of the cheaper opamps for the Xin, OPA134PA, 5523D, OPA2134PA, OPA604AP etc. They all sound different but none I really love more than stock. For now I still have the stock set up from last October but have ordered some max out set ups and NES5534 to try.

Quote:

Originally Posted by micaela /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm doing great w/the Darths
icon10.gif
I'm glad you like the HHF1s so much! I had some HF1's & really liked them a lot. In fact it was their fault that I finally gave in & bought the RS1's. I have hardly been listening to anything but the Darth's since I got them. The bass has smoothed out a bit now & is not as boomy as it was at the start. Its still huge - but very nice! The mids & highs have smoothed out as well & they are just a relaxing enjoyable listen. About as opposite the RS1's as I can imagine. I added some leather pads to them - I'll put up a picture later today.

They sound great, probably very different to the HHF-1. Hey these would be perfect candidates for the "build a system around only 2 cans" thread.
biggrin.gif

Would be great if we could meet and try each others. Coming to Adelaide anytime soon?
tongue.gif

It's hard to hear different cans down here, no meets or anything and no stores sell anything decent.
rolleyes.gif

Jan 6, 2007 at 6:10 AM Post #45 of 47
Jean Reno, your cans are ready.
assasin.png

That's a "Professional" looking shot - like something a sniper would use during downtime! And hopefully not to take Schumacher down! Awesome overall presentation!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back