HTC Windows Phone 8X "Experience audio entertainment exclusively with built-in Beats Audio technology"
Oct 30, 2012 at 9:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50

PatrickAupperle

Head-Fier
I'm currently considering buying a new smart phone. I was curious what people thought about the integrated Beats Audio technology in HTC phones. I know everyone hates Beats headphones, but I really have no clue what the general feeling about their technology in phones. What do you all think? Would the Windows Phone 8X sound better than the Nokia Lumia 810 (the other T-Mobile Windows Phone 8 phone)?

Oct 31, 2012 at 1:55 AM Post #2 of 50
The phone tech works the same way their laptop tech works. Boosted bass no matter which way you slice it, and a heavy bass roll off if you turn it off. Really unfortunate.

Heads up, I added you to the Texas Head-fier list. If you want to get in on the big spring meet follow the link in sig.

Oct 31, 2012 at 8:45 AM Post #3 of 50
So, are you saying that the Beats Audio technology is a bad thing? I kind of figured it wouldn't help, but I wouldn't have guessed it hurt. I hear that it complements the included headphones, is this true?

I can't seem to see you sig. I guess I'll go dig through the settings for this site and see if I can turn them on.

Oct 31, 2012 at 10:10 AM Post #4 of 50
Yes, it's a bad thing. If you're looking for a new phone I'd look for something without Beats audio and then get a good app. 

Here's a link: http://www.head-fi.org/t/633886/3rd-annual-austin-texas-spring-meet-go-big-or-go-home-2013

Quote:
So, are you saying that the Beats Audio technology is a bad thing? I kind of figured it wouldn't help, but I wouldn't have guessed it hurt. I hear that it complements the included headphones, is this true?

I can't seem to see you sig. I guess I'll go dig through the settings for this site and see if I can turn them on.

Oct 31, 2012 at 10:48 AM Post #5 of 50
Quote:
Yes, it's a bad thing. If you're looking for a new phone I'd look for something without Beats audio and then get a good app. 

Here's a link: http://www.head-fi.org/t/633886/3rd-annual-austin-texas-spring-meet-go-big-or-go-home-2013

Quote:

Thank you. I guess I can cross the HTC Windows Phone 8X off my list then. 

Do you know if any good WP8 audio apps exist? Any thoughts on the sound through a Nokia Lumia?

Thank you for the link. If you all don't mind my inability to bring any real gear, I may try to make it to the meet.

Oct 31, 2012 at 12:54 PM Post #6 of 50
isn't android the best in phone audio? to generally having good soundchip and alot of player options?, compared to say iphone which have smaller selection of apps on that front?

Oct 31, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #7 of 50
I never found an Android app I liked much when owning an Android phone. 

My choice for phone audio has been an iPhone with SonicMax Pro BBE.

I'll take my Nano 2G over them anyday though. :D

Quote:
isn't android the best in phone audio? to generally having good soundchip and alot of player options?, compared to say iphone which have smaller selection of apps on that front?

Oct 31, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #8 of 50
While looking at the HTC page, I noticed it says "The 8X has a dedicated amp built right into the phone, so it pumps more power to your headphones than ever."

Could this dedicated amp help? If one were to disable their Beats software and use an equalizer to fix the issues, could this phone end up sounding better? Or is the whole dedicated amp thing just marketing hype? 

Oct 31, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #9 of 50
Every phone has a dedicated amp...That's how it puts sound into your headphones. 

Considering it's a Beats product I'd say it's hype. This is just from personal experience with the software and a few of the Beats phones out there, not this particular phone. 

Quote:
While looking at the HTC page, I noticed it says "The 8X has a dedicated amp built right into the phone, so it pumps more power to your headphones than ever."

Could this dedicated amp help? If one were to disable their Beats software and use an equalizer to fix the issues, could this phone end up sounding better? Or is the whole dedicated amp thing just marketing hype? 

Oct 31, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #10 of 50
Quote:

Even if that is true, I want a Windows Phone 8 phone. Sound quality is just one of the things that could cause me to choose on of the phones over the other.

Quote:
Every phone has a dedicated amp...That's how it puts sound into your headphones. 

Considering it's a Beats product I'd say it's hype. This is just from personal experience with the software and a few of the Beats phones out there, not this particular phone. 

Quote:

I guess I should have known that. If it is all just hype, HTC really made a mistake investing $300 million (I think that number is right, but am not sure) in it. It's a shame to see so much money go to waste when it could have gone to improving the phones. You are probably right, though, when you assume it is. 

Quote:
I never found an Android app I liked much when owning an Android phone. 

My choice for phone audio has been an iPhone with SonicMax Pro BBE.

I'll take my Nano 2G over them anyday though. :D

Quote:

Does a Nano 2G really sound better than smart phones? I find it odd that smart phone manufactures wouldn't at least meet the Nano 2G's audio capabilities in their $600 devices. I never really thought iPods sounded that great.  

Oct 31, 2012 at 2:02 PM Post #11 of 50
Well more bass is better for 95% of consumers. Plus the branding with beats? They'll more than make their money back.

As for the Nano 2G. It's one of the old Wolfson iPods. I like it a lot. Strangely enough my portable rig right now is the Nano 2G and the Apple Earpods that came with my iPhone 5.

Oct 31, 2012 at 3:03 PM Post #12 of 50
Quote:
Well more bass is better for 95% of consumers. Plus the branding with beats? They'll more than make their money back.

As for the Nano 2G. It's one of the old Wolfson iPods. I like it a lot. Strangely enough my portable rig right now is the Nano 2G and the Apple Earpods that came with my iPhone 5.

That's a good point. People are obsessed with Bass. 

Apple Earpods? I thought those were considered some of the worst earphones out there. I've never had an apple product, so I wouldn't know, but everyone complains about them. 

One last question (hopefully), you act like you've had experience with these Beats phones before. Are the headphones that come with them any good? I understand they are beats headphones and can't compete with real headphones, but how do they compare with typical free with your device headphones?

Oct 31, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #14 of 50
That's a good point. People are obsessed with Bass. 

Apple Earpods? I thought those were considered some of the worst earphones out there. I've never had an apple product, so I wouldn't know, but everyone complains about them. 

One last question (hopefully), you act like you've had experience with these Beats phones before. Are the headphones that come with them any good? I understand they are beats headphones and can't compete with real headphones, but how do they compare with typical free with your device headphones?

The Earpods are the new Apple included headphones. They're a huge step up from the old earbuds they used to include. New design.

Haven't used the included headphones. Just demoed the. With various models of my own.

Oct 31, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #15 of 50
Shouldn't read too much into the Beats branding. Like it was said, Beats is just an EQ that bumps the bass and treble. The DAC and RMAA readings on the phone is still up in the air though. The One X had so-so sound quality with the Tegra 3 SoC and somewhat better quality with the Snapdragon S4. The One S uses the S4 as well, but had some pretty good readings and overall good quality. Both of those were measured with the EQ off, and both had that branding. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back