Htc One
Jul 7, 2013 at 11:04 PM Post #391 of 533
I've had the One for a few days now, and the ONLY criticism I can throw at it, apart from the steps between volumes being a bit far apart (I go for "slightly too loud", myself :p), is the fact that the stock player doesn't natively support 24-bit audio. Nitpicking, I know.

To be honest, this is perhaps the best DAP I've ever had. Far from being gimmicky, the Beats audio enhancement actually improve the SQ, especially when using the built-in speakers.

... Okay, that statement could have cost me what's left of my rep, haha.

But really, I've auditioned the S4, and I prefer the sound of the One. It was a quick try only, though, so that may be subject to debate.

Also, the One drives my K550s like nobody's business. Amps improve the audio quality of course, but it does well enough straight out of it's 3.5 jack, which is awesome.

Jul 8, 2013 at 12:37 AM Post #392 of 533
Quote:
No, it was a "sat outside with a coffee and enjoying some sun with tunes, phones and phones" test

smily_headphones1.gif

Having done a few blind and volume matched tests I'm quite unmoved by unblinded comparisons these days. First one I did with a friend and we both went in heavily expecting the iPhone 4 to best the Note 2, in the end we slightly preferred the Note 2 overall - although before blinding was removed we both thought the one we preferred was the iPhone for each tune. That's the power of expectation and confirmation bias. Without blinding I'm quite sure we would both have concluded the test heavily favoured the iPhone.

Still though, always good to have peoples thoughts and I thank you for yours. Helps to build up a general picture of how things stand.

Jul 9, 2013 at 8:30 AM Post #393 of 533
Quote:
I've had the One for a few days now, and the ONLY criticism I can throw at it, apart from the steps between volumes being a bit far apart (I go for "slightly too loud", myself :p), is the fact that the stock player doesn't natively support 24-bit audio. Nitpicking, I know.

Don't forget that Android itself doesn't support 24bit audio, and - whilst third party players play it, they downsample to 16/48...

If rooted, there is a mod that enables an extra 15 steps to the volume control (45 instead of the stock 30).

Jul 9, 2013 at 10:24 AM Post #394 of 533
Sorry, I should've made myself clearer. I knew about Android not really being able to support 24-bit (Blind A-B'ing was made totally impossible, though that could just be due to my average gear). Also, that mod sounds like a godsend. I'll be checking that out. Thanks for the tip!

Jul 12, 2013 at 11:20 AM Post #395 of 533
So I got an iPhone 4 from a friend today to a/b it with my Htc One. At first wanted to go with the iphone 4 coz I heard it was the best sounding iPhone using it's headphone out. After comparing it side by side with the htc, the htc is superior to the iphone 4 in instrument separation, vocals, bass, and soundstage minus the fact that the iphone 4 drives my hd 558 a bit louder than the htc one.

This is just my own brief experience and ofcourse ymmv.

I was using poweramp(all stock settings) on the one on android 4.2.2 whereas stock player on iphone 4 running 6.1.13 firmware.

So the things my ear was able to pick is the vocals, the htc one makes you feel like your sitting in front rows and the vocals are more lively and a bit clearer than on the ip4. The instruments have better layering and separation too on the one. As for the bass I would describe it more precise and a bit more punch but not bloated or anything on the one whereas on the iphone 4 it was a bit lacking and I'm not a basshead by any means.

I did the a/b volume matched(around 14/16 on the iphone 4 and volume was on max on the one).

These difference were subtle when I used the HD 558 but it was more apparent when I used the phillips she 3580. These two are the only equipments i have at the moment.

-NG

Jul 13, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #397 of 533
Hi everyone,

Has anyone tried these on the One ? http://www.htc.com/www/accessories/htc-bluetooth-stereo-headphones/
It uses apt-x lossless codec apparently. I wonder how good the DAC is...

There are different aptX specs -- I wonder if it is actually the lossless aptX. I've not seen it on any devices thusfar. Regular aptX is much better than anything bluetooth before, but there is some bg noise still on the one I have -- the Samsung equiv. to this, HS3000 --- vs using same IEMs wired. The design of this one is far superior to the Samsung though.

I would love to see someone with proper equipment do some testing of these gizmos. To me, aptX (despite not being perfect) is one of the most under-appreciated features of HTC/Samsung.

Jul 14, 2013 at 6:09 AM Post #398 of 533
What's the app called where it adds more steps to the volume rocker? My htc one is rooted, I want less volume increase / decrease between each step

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Jul 17, 2013 at 4:30 AM Post #404 of 533
I know it's sacrilege but I honestly don't find the Beats sound fx all that bad. Its not as over the top as I had imagined. I am impressed with the Ones ability at imaging and details in general. I have a clip plus. Will have to do a ab.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back