HTC One S.. SQ?
Sep 19, 2012 at 5:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

DoomForce

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

Can anyone comment on the sound quality of the HTC One S International (the one with the Snapdragon s4 cpu)? How does it compare with the bigger players in the market like the Galaxy S3 and/or the iPhone?

Sep 19, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #2 of 6
One S has Qualcomm's  WCD9310 in it. This is a good quality audio hub (DAC & Amp combined). Regarded by many as better quality sound than the iPhone and a match for the Galaxy S3.

Sep 20, 2012 at 7:48 PM Post #3 of 6
BEATS BY DRE SUCKA!

Jan 24, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #6 of 6
I know GSMArena isn't the end-all for this, but they go to greater lengths to test audio output (RMAA) than most, so:

Quote:

The cleanest audio output we have seen

The HTC One S performance in our audio quality test came as a really pleasant surprise to us. It appears that the Beats influence hasn't been limited to a single equalizer preset this time as the smartphone delivers the cleanest output we have seen from any device so far.
When connected to an active external amplifier, the HTC One S audio is simply flawless - volume levels are a little above average and it got excellent scores on every part of our test.
What's most impressive though is the One S retains virtually the same performance when you plug in a pair of headphones. The stereo crosstalk takes the tiniest dip of any smartphone we've seen so far, while the rest of the readings are either totally unaffected or worsen by an undetectable amount. Volume levels remain the same too, so it's arguably the most impressive overall performance to date.

External Amplifier

Frequency Response: +0.13, -0.10
Noise Level: -91.0
Dynamic Range: 90.6
THD: 0.0089
IMD + Noise: 0.015
Stereo Crosstalk: -92.6

Headphones

(AKG, Unspecified model, 32ohms)
Frequency Response: +0.13, -0.04
Noise Level: -90.7
Dynamic Range: 90.6
THD: 0.011
IMD + Noise: 0.065
Stereo Crosstalk: -74.6

All that's missing is the source output impedance, but it can't be too high. Given T-Mobile USA's recent addition of a $70/month Truly Unlimited Data prepaid plan, I no longer have to worry about cloud streaming my way into overage, so I might just get this phone.

Edit: I should add that the review was posted in April 2012 to add a little context to "arguably the most impressive overall performance to date."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back