HTC: Android vs Windows Mobile (Nexus One vs HD2)
Feb 18, 2010 at 2:08 PM Post #16 of 39
Quote:

I don't know why everyone is gaga for AMOLED screens.

AMOLEDs have better blacks and color accuracy than most LCDs, which is important if you plan on watching video on the device. I've got a Zune HD, and it's like having a mini-CRT display.

Feb 18, 2010 at 4:28 PM Post #17 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AMOLEDs have better blacks and color accuracy than most LCDs, which is important if you plan on watching video on the device. I've got a Zune HD, and it's like having a mini-CRT display.

true, but I personally like using my mobile phone outside.

Feb 18, 2010 at 7:42 PM Post #18 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by chud /img/forum/go_quote.gif
true, but I personally like using my mobile phone outside.

Did an AMOLED run over your dog or something? It really depends on the phone, some have really powerful backlights that can be used to mitigate the issue. It's a trade off, but I'd personally always choose better colors.

Feb 18, 2010 at 8:00 PM Post #19 of 39
I have the original G1 (that started Android).

It's a great OS. Easy to use, and VERY customizable. My only issue was that it never ran that fast. Then the Nexus One came out. As a server in a restaurant, I ask people about their phones all the time, and every newer Android user loves it. IMO, two years from now it will be the dominant OS to anything Apple will put out. Imagine buying a Mac where you couldn't change the background. That's Apple's idea for the iPhone. A slick toy that looks like everyone else iPhone.

Feb 18, 2010 at 11:20 PM Post #20 of 39
Quote:

Did an AMOLED run over your dog or something?

wink.gif

On another note, do any of you check out any Android-based forums?

Feb 18, 2010 at 11:25 PM Post #21 of 39
I check out XDA if that counts. I'm actually interesting in buying a second-hand unlocked G1. I'd rather have an N1, but $500+ is just too much to stomach atm. Plus I kinda want to see how WinMo7 fares after being for a bit.

Feb 19, 2010 at 5:10 AM Post #22 of 39
Quote:

Did an AMOLED run over your dog or something? It really depends on the phone, some have really powerful backlights that can be used to mitigate the issue. It's a trade off, but I'd personally always choose better colors.

rolleyes.gif

the N1 has one of, if not THE best, screens around and it's more than a chore to use outside. it's borderline useless.

Feb 19, 2010 at 5:50 AM Post #23 of 39
I have an HD2. It kicks ass (the built-in GPS has been handy for running TomTom and Garmin softwares), and there's a massive backlog of 3rd-party software and ROMS already available for it (as one can find on XDA). Email also kicks ass with WinMO, and I love being able to tweak all aspects of my phone. I recently bought a Matte screen protector for it, so its perfectly legible outside or in the car.

I owned a Milestone (Droid for US users) for a little while and also played with many different Android phones (G1, Nexus 1, HTC Hero), and didn't really see the hype around the OS. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on Android though as it has potential, and maybe I'll end up owning an Android phone again when V3.0 comes around. Also, I'm just not quiet comfortable with all my information being handled by the one company right now.

If you are mad keen on jumping on the Android bandwagon, then I suggest waiting for the HTC Legend or Desire. Sense UI = WIN, and the Nexus 1 looks very, um, dull in person.

Feb 19, 2010 at 4:32 PM Post #24 of 39
I recently had an overclocked Cingular 8125 with WM6.5. Slowness aside, after moving to my Nexus One I have to say that I greatly prefer Android. The OS is more polished and common tasks are quicker to access.

The HD2 was out of the running for me since AT&T forces data plans onto their customers. My N1 is on AT&T but I don't have to pay a cent for texting and data plans I'll never use.

Feb 19, 2010 at 4:42 PM Post #25 of 39
^ AT&T only forces data on phones bought on contract, at least that what I read and was told.

Feb 19, 2010 at 4:58 PM Post #26 of 39
Quote:

^ AT&T only forces data on phones bought on contract, at least that what I read and was told.

The AT&T reps at two separate stores told me that they cannot sell a smartphone like the HD2 without a data plan, even if I'm willing to buy it unsubsidized. Which is why I bought my N1 from Google and gave it my old Cingular SIM.
tongue.gif

Feb 19, 2010 at 5:13 PM Post #27 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by chud /img/forum/go_quote.gif
rolleyes.gif

the N1 has one of, if not THE best, screens around and it's more than a chore to use outside. it's borderline useless.

BS. Turn the brightness up and it's as legible as any other phone.

Feb 19, 2010 at 5:20 PM Post #28 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by MCC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The AT&T reps at two separate stores told me that they cannot sell a smartphone like the HD2 without a data plan, even if I'm willing to buy it unsubsidized. Which is why I bought my N1 from Google and gave it my old Cingular SIM.
tongue.gif

I think you're right, it seems that AT&T started enforcing this on unlocked phones recently. I hope this doesn't apply to prepaid smartphones as well.

Mar 12, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #30 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by smachine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Go with Android. The HD2 might not be able to run windows mobile 7, so it could be a dead end phone within a year. HTC HD2 and Windows Phone 7 Series: Just tell us no, Microsoft -- Engadget

Microsoft has more or less declared that they will not allow Windows 7 on the hd2. And here's the awesome reason: it has too many buttons (and doesn't have the "bing search" button.) There may be ways around this, but I'd go with the Android to be safe (though personally I think the Droid is better than the Nexus 1.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back