HTC: Android vs Windows Mobile (Nexus One vs HD2)
Feb 16, 2010 at 12:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

koven

15 Hz + 150 dB = poopy pants
My AT&T contract is finally about to be over (thank god), and my original plan was to switch to T-Mobile and get the HTC Nexus One... but I saw that the HD2 is coming out soon.

From my short research so far, it looks like they're similar in specs. The HD2 has a bigger screen and I think it looks better, but the biggest difference seems to be Android vs Windows Mobile. How significant is this? I'm currently using a Windows Mobile phone (AT&T Tilt) and it's pretty damn slow/crappy, is Android a big/noticeable improvement in terms of speed/function?

Also, does anyone currently own a Nexus One? What are your thoughts so far?

Feb 16, 2010 at 12:28 AM Post #2 of 39
I don't have a phone, but if I ever need to get one, I'll probably get one of those pay-by-the-minute thing, without getting a contract. That said, Linux FTW, but Android can be locked down too.
Or, probably an iFone 3G?

Feb 16, 2010 at 12:31 AM Post #3 of 39
YouTube - Dogfight! HTC HD2 vs. Google Nexus One - Part 1
YouTube - Dogfight! HTC HD2 vs. Google Nexus One - Part 2

Android - Better multi-tasking, more finger-friendly and modern-looking UI, 16 million colors, AMOLED (Nexus-One specific)
WinMo - More apps, arguably archaic UI, 65,000 colors, LCD (HD2-specific), being replaced by WinMo 7

Both the N1 and HD2 use ~1Ghz snapdragon processors, so both are very fast. There's rumors that the Nexus is coming out for AT&T. Personally I'd get the N1 if I'm new to smartphones, plus the 16m color AMOLED destroys a 65K LCD screen, even if it's smaller.

Feb 16, 2010 at 12:46 AM Post #5 of 39
From a Nexus One owner's perspective :

Nexus One
Pros :
Insanely good Google services integration. To have GMail and Google Talk constantly on in the background and integrated into my phonebook is truly excellent.
Screen is beautiful, although my own has a slightly reddish hue which is kind of annoying.
Android is very open.
Fits fairly well in the hand.

Cons :
Because of the non-native nature of Android apps (they run in a Java virtual machine), things don't move as quickly as the phone is capable of.
Head-wrecking network connection issues.
Fragmented nature of Android means you never really know where you are with who's going to get what OS upgrade and when your phone will be obsolete.

HD2
Pros :
WM7 looks awesome
Big screen means easier typing, particularly in portrait.
Native apps.
Microsoft appear to have a tight grip on WM7 and where it's going, unlike the rather errant nature of Android's progress now.

Cons :
WM7 won't be out for nearly a year.
No AMOLED.
You have to live with crummy WinMo 6.5 until WM7 comes out, by which point the HD2 will probably be obsolete.

So... make up your own mind! I think the Nexus One is the best choice at the moment, purely because of the OS. If the HD2 had WM7 right now, I would probably recommend it.

Feb 16, 2010 at 9:26 AM Post #8 of 39
If you currently use win mobile to organise your life, sync calendars and outlook, get email etc, then ditch it and go android.

Google calendar, email, maps, latitude, etc etc all the good stuff online, offline, organising your life, emails, everything is done immediately and syncs up with no need to connect your phone to a pc.

Once google were able to sync up calendars etc then I took the plunge and haven't looked back.

Think OS rather than phone, decide on that first then choose the handset.

Feb 16, 2010 at 4:53 PM Post #9 of 39
i badly waiting for Sony xperia X10.

it ll have a huge screen, 1 ghz processor snapdragon and it ll run on android os.

i hate windows mobile's performance...lot of lagging, random freezing when typing etc...and very difficult to use when drunk.

Feb 16, 2010 at 9:03 PM Post #10 of 39
i badly waiting for Sony xperia X10.

it ll have a huge screen, 1 ghz processor snapdragon and it ll run on android os.

Yeah.. 1.6.. ugh (might get upgraded... who knows..)

Feb 16, 2010 at 9:17 PM Post #11 of 39
Hmmm... unless Windows Mobile 7 is a complete make over, I'd go for Android. Windows Mobile 6 was ewwww! Thank Zeus that HTC's Touch Flo put a good looking band aid around it. I've had about 3 different WinMo devices and HTC is really the only one that has made an effort on it.

Feb 16, 2010 at 9:21 PM Post #12 of 39
It is a complete makeover but probably won't be out until the holiday season.

Feb 18, 2010 at 9:23 AM Post #15 of 39
I don't know why everyone is gaga for AMOLED screens.

Go with Android if you want to be on a current and developing platform.

Also look at Sprint for great pricing (even better with "secret" discounts) unless you're a die hard GSM person.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back