HT Omega "Claro Halo" Headphone Only soundcard
Nov 6, 2009 at 1:16 AM Post #212 of 374
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW, you guys also tried this kind of adapter to plug headphones on the line-out? 3.5mm STEREO FEMALE to 2 RCA MALE - 15cm Premium Cable - eBay

it was much better on the STX, hopefully the TI HP amp will sound better on the Claro Halo
smily_headphones1.gif

What would be the point of that adapter? It wouldn't take advantage of the onboard amp either right?

Nov 6, 2009 at 9:25 AM Post #213 of 374
Quote:

try to roll op-amps maybe? you could use some OPA2132P/LT1364/LM4562NA...the card could also need some burn-in.

Not sure I want to spend more on this right now. What are the ideal foobar settings when using ASIO? Resampler or other DSPs?

Nov 6, 2009 at 11:32 AM Post #214 of 374
I dunno, mine is still stuck in the mail...I'll get it early next week if I'm lucky.

well, OPA2132P and LT1364N8 are free if you ask for free samples
wink.gif

what OS do you run? you'd be better off setting 44.1kHz in the drivers and disable all DSP in there...then in foobar use KS on XP or WASAPI exclusive on Vista/7, and that's it! no resampling whatsoever.

but I think I read haloxt saying that this card needs 50H to burn in, so let it burn! the STX/ST were the same actually, it takes a little while to sound good...cap burning in, etc.

Nov 6, 2009 at 6:31 PM Post #215 of 374
I have win 7 64 bit. Is there a link to were all this kHz business is explained? Also, what's WASAPI and how do I enable it? I'm using ASIO right now.

Not sure if I agree that the sound solid state hardware actually needs to burn in, but may be it does. One thing I can say is that already my ears are getting more used to the halo.

Nov 6, 2009 at 8:35 PM Post #216 of 374
there's a plugin for foobar, well w7 is even more complicated because it also requires that you choose a fixed sample rate in the audio config apparently?! I can't remember seeing anything like that when I tried vista on my M-Audio Audiophile USB...so maybe it's W7 thing.

caps do need to burn in, at least that's what I've always found out...sure, brain burn in doesn't hurt either
wink_face.gif

Nov 6, 2009 at 8:46 PM Post #217 of 374
I thought the sample rate in the driver control panel for the halo was only for the digital out?

Nov 8, 2009 at 9:45 PM Post #219 of 374
Quote:

not quite...change it on the fly while playing a track, it will glitch up..just like on the Asus Xonar serie(same DSP/windows drivers).

C-Media is clueless when it comes to audio drivers
frown.gif

Seemed to work fine for me and others in the ST/STX thread. Perhaps it is just user error and you need something a little simpler.
beerchug.gif

Nov 8, 2009 at 9:50 PM Post #220 of 374
Quote:

Originally Posted by Slides /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought the sample rate in the driver control panel for the halo was only for the digital out?

The sample rate adjusts the analog sample rate. According to other posts some just leave it set to higher bit depth and allow it to resample. Peopel said the SRC engine is transparent and they cannot hear any difference anyway. I guess you would need to test for yourself and compare bit perfect or resampled.
If your just using FLAC etc, I would just leave it set for 44.1
It seems some are confused as cards using these chipsets are bit perfect. However, they do not adjust based on the input so the card drivers do not have auto sample rate adjust.

Nov 9, 2009 at 4:26 PM Post #221 of 374

I like it so far!(in KS on XP SP3) the DIP8 sockets were the worst quality ever on the Xonar Essence(pressed and very loose = very poor actual contact, my first ST even had some completely black connectors...I had to send it back for RMA), on the HD2 they were machined but definitely not as tight as on this Claro Halo, it took quite some energy to take out the stock JRC4580...and they are half gold plated too, can't hurt
smily_headphones1.gif

the RCA connectors also look top notch, some ppl change them on the HD2: Audiotrak Prodigy HD2 Sound Card

sound seems more in focus than on the HD2, need more time to burn my brain on it
very_evil_smiley.gif

also, the XP drivers don't require any resident apps...and I don't get a nasty loud POP on my headphones when I turn on the system like on the HD2..thank you Mr relay
smile.gif

Nov 9, 2009 at 6:09 PM Post #222 of 374
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom1l21 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What would be the point of that adapter? It wouldn't take advantage of the onboard amp either right?

Asus on the STX gives an adapter like this to plug headphones on the line-out...they even advise in the manual to do so ^^

I'm currently listening to my cd1k plugged with the STX adapter(borrowed from a friend) on the Claro Halo line-out, and I like it...I've got more confidence in the two discrete op-amps to drive my phones than in a $2.25 TI chip
redface.gif

Nov 9, 2009 at 6:22 PM Post #223 of 374
BTW, you can use the RCA and the HP out simultaneously...meaning you can get Dolby Virtual Speaker/Headphones and all the DSP effect on the RCA out, quite useful if you have an external HP amp
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm currently listening to DH on the RCA out, to clear things up.

you can also stack as many DSP's as you want simultaneously: DTS Neo 7 / DH / Prologic IIx/ EQ, etc etc...quite fun
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 9, 2009 at 6:58 PM Post #224 of 374
The adapter is for connecting up 3.5mm gear in case the user has "PC" type speakers or you have cans that don't need the extra amplification. The are very common adapters and easy to find. The line out should give you better sound quality compared to the amp chip but you might need the extra power. You can also connect up your own headphone amp o the line out.

Nov 9, 2009 at 7:34 PM Post #225 of 374
oh yes, and it does DDL/DTS interactive realtime reencoding over S/PDIF...I don't think I saw anything like that on the STX/ST.

so you can output lossless TrueHD to Reclock and then send it as 1.5mbit DTS to your amp over S/PDIF.

anyway, SQ is great on the line-out w/ the discrete op-amps
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back