HRT Music Streamer III - Discussion & Review
Apr 30, 2014 at 1:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

tralalakuda

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I was looking at HRT Music Streamer product and when I open their website I come across their newest DAC: HRT Music Streamer III (http://www.hirestech.com/product/?pid=1225)

I was initially interested to upgrade my Schiit Modi to HRT Music Streamer II+ but when I was surfing the website and reading about HRT MS DAC, I find this new item and it makes me wonder if it's any better than the highly regarded HRT MS II+ or HRT MS II. I tried to check on the web, head-fi (and similar forum) about this new product and as far as I search, I can't find any thus I take the initiative to start this discussion.

Wondering if any of you guys have the chance to try this DAC and how does it perform compare with the previous version? (I presume that this is more comparable with HRT MS II, please CMIIW)

Thank you!

May 3, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #2 of 7
The MS3 is actually in between the MS2 and the MS2+, I recently spoke to an HRT representative and this is what he said. Although specs are quite close...it does not perform better than the 2+. One obvious reason is the MS3 is in the color red as is the MS2 indicating an enhanced MS2. I suspect an enhanced MS+ would be gray.

May 6, 2014 at 12:28 AM Post #3 of 7
is it uses the same PCM series DAC, or maybe the famous one, Sabre series :D  

May 6, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #4 of 7
The microStreamer is still better spec'd according to their website. Plus, not that I ever download 192 khz files, but the maximum sample rate is still limited to 96 khz, which makes me think it is using the same DAC or the microStreamer's DAC. Looks like a minor refresh in an MSII+ case - nothing news worthy

May 30, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #5 of 7
I'm really interested in hearing reviews/opinions first hand accounts of the MS3 vs the other MS products. The MS2+ can apparently be had at right about $280 on amazon now. This leads me to believe the 3+ must be in the pipeline.  

I love my MS2.

Feb 7, 2015 at 2:31 PM Post #6 of 7
I just acquired an MS3 and I prefer it to the Schiit Modi and Hifimediy Tiny DAC. If I ranked the three it would be

1.MS3
2.Hifimediy Tiny DAC
3.Modi (only used with speakers)

I have the Hifiman HE-500 powered by an NAD 7125 receiver and a Grado 125i powered by an Audinst AMP-HP. With the former coupling,I can hear the differences between the Tiny DAC and MS3. The MS3 has better soundstage,bass (in quality) and I noticed it provides a bit more power than the Tiny DAC. On my receiver the volume is at 10 o'clock with the Tiny DAC and at 9 o'clock with MS3.

Feb 8, 2015 at 9:45 AM Post #7 of 7
From what I've read, the MSIII has an upgraded analogue output stage compared to the MSII.

The microStreamer is still better spec'd according to their website. Plus, not that I ever download 192 khz files, but the maximum sample rate is still limited to 96 khz, which makes me think it is using the same DAC or the microStreamer's DAC. Looks like a minor refresh in an MSII+ case - nothing news worthy

Regardless of the published specs, the MSII to me, has the superior line level output sound quality compared to the microStreamer  in my experience. I'm not really impressed with the line-out of the microStreamer. Actually, its not much different from the onboard Realtek ALC892 of my computer which is a little flat and dull sounding.

The microStreamer's headphone out, on the other hand, is very good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back