HRT Music Streamer II vs FiiO D3 (DAC recommendations)?
Aug 4, 2011 at 12:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

fusedpro

100+ Head-Fier
I want to preface this by saying that I have no knowledge on DACs or DAC technology, so forgive me.

There's a pretty hefty price difference between these two products, but is it worth it? To be completely honest, I have no idea what 24/96 (HRT MSII) means or what 24/192 (Fiio D3) means, but from that standpoint, wouldn't the latter option be better? My music is mostly in 320kbps MP3 format, VBR MP3 (btwn 200 and 300 kbps), and some FLAC if that matters at all.

My headphones are currently undecided, but it will more than likely be either Sennheiser HD580 or HD598 and will definitely be amplifed by a Schiit Asgard (already own this). I will be listening from my computer which has an HT Omega Striker soundcard, which apparently is the weak link in my system, so a DAC was recommended.

I am looking for a dedicated DAC, I do not need any combo of the two, so that's why I ruled out anything from AudioGD (unless you all can convince me otherwise) and the uDAC 2.

So, what makes the HRT Music Streamer II so much more expensive than the FiiO (also applies to why other high-end DACs are so expensive)? FiiO has both optical and coax while the MS only has USB. I'm okay using either, but I always thought optical/coax was better? My only concern is that I think a USB solution would be easier to switch between my headphones and speakers, but again, I could be wrong. Which would you recommend given my situation and budget -- doesn't have to just be the two mentioned in the title -- no more than $200 shipped?

Aug 5, 2011 at 7:05 PM Post #3 of 6
I'm waiting for an answer on this as well. I've got the Asgard and HD598 and I'm using the D3 w/optical out of iMac. I'm really new to all of this having bought all this stuff in the last month or so - so I know very little about what to expect plus I've no experience with other gear so I'm unable to compare. Having said all that, the d3 did obviously improve the sound quality and I'm very happy with what I've got. It's weird - I'm so happy with it all that I'm curious about upgrading to the HRT MSII. Maybe it's upgrade-itis, but I'd get the MSII if I knew that I'd get an obvious upgrade in sound quality. I assume I would, but there are guys that have written about being very happy with the D3.

I guess I'd love to see someone do a sort of detailed review of the D3. 

Feb 23, 2012 at 12:43 PM Post #5 of 6
HRT MS2 compared to other DACs:

www.headfonia.com/the-hrt-music-streamer-ii-asynchronous-2496-for-149-95/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back